Tell me your magic

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Ima be bored, and if your novel has magic in it tell me how it works. If you do you get ???

Underload

It's like copulation -- you work hard, sweat, and then squirt it out. Some can shoot far, for others it barely trickles out; it depends on the individual's skills.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
People can't use magic on their own, they need to use components, kinda like in DnD, the main component is a mana crystal.
which may or may not be the blood of a dying world.
. Oh also people can pull some weapons out of their souls, idk if that counts as magic.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
People can't use magic on their own, they need to use components, kinda like in DnD, the main component is a mana crystal.
which may or may not be the blood of a dying world.
. Oh also people can pull some weapons out of their souls, idk if that counts as magic.
Hmmm the weapon soul thing reminds me of a anime

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
Usual magic is used systematically through forming magic circles with mana, so pretty standard. Though that method is for noobs, and "true magic" involves bending mana to one's Will, which is the kind of magic where one can just do whatever they can think of if they have the mana pool for it, and understand how it works. Can get pretty OP, but it's comprehension-based, similar to cultivation and comprehending Laws and such, so it's difficult as fuck even if one has the ability to use it. Though such a method of magic-using is very rare in my universes and is something that would be seen being used by conquerors of past, emperors, etc. It's also a requirement for becoming Ascended, any kind of divinity/god, etc. It also tends to manifest a form of "personal magic" or skill, which can sometimes be related to one's bloodline, but even if someone with the talent for using "true magic" has kids and descendants, it more than likely won't show up again for thousands of years.
Hmmm the weapon soul thing reminds me of a anime
I can't remember the exact name, but I know they called the weapons Blazes and the MC had a shield.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Hol up... I realized we in artist general.. fuck I hav to draw my magic system.
magics.png

ciocelle

Magic is unique to every person and fits into two categories:

Dark magic, which is inherent to those with demon blood. It's strengthened by negative emotions and tends to manifest into destructive/harmful abilities. Unlike its counterpart, dark magic evolves along with the user, usually when they're under extreme stress or in life-threatening situations.

Light magic, which those possessing the blessed blood of humans can be born with. Light magic tends to manifest into passive abilities that are limited in that their activation cannot harm the user or another. In exchange for those limits, the abilities are extraordinarily powerful, such as impenetrable defense or unbreakable sealing.

Last edited:

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I can't remember the exact name, but I know they called the weapons Blazes and the MC had a shield.
Absolute duo? Damn I realize my stories' soul weapon system is similar to that, it's even also an academy. Only remembered watching it now that you mentioned it.

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
Absolute Duo https://absoluteduo.fandom.com/wiki/Blazes

Banger OP visuals, not sure about how the novels and anime are.
Absolute duo? Damn I realize my stories' soul weapon system is similar to that, it's even also an academy. Only remembered watching it now that you mentioned it.
Right right, thanks. I have terrible memory and I haven't watched it in ages. The anime was okay, but the plot is pretty much like most japanese battle academy anime, so yeah.

morhamza

Hmm. It's going to be hard cause I'm still writing the story, and as a discovery writer I need to write to know, since I don't outline; I will tell you what I have so far.

In broad terms there are two categories of magic, and both are mana dependent. Contract magic and attribute magic. The main difference between the two is the source of mana. With contract magic a god the mage is contracted with provides most of the mana needed for the magic, while with attribute magic the mage has to carry all the mana burden.

Contract magic is more powerful, and easier to use, however its limitation is that the mage cannot use magic without permission from the god they are contracted with. There is also a limit on what kind of magic they can use, although it is a soft limit and there is wiggle room.

Attribute magic is weaker, but more wonderful and without limit, except the one created by mana capacity. Humans in my story don't have an abundance of mana to use, so they have to find creative ways to use this kind of magic.

There all other categories under attribute magic:
Runic magic and elemental magic are the two I've created thus far.

Runic magic works through runes that instruct mana to act a certain way, and elemental magic works by manipulating ambient mana (external mana in nature) to move the elements. Of the two, runic mangic requires knowledge of runes and elemental magic requires immense control of mana.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
The magic system depends on how well you're acquainted with said element. If you're well-acquainted with the properties of water, you can manipulate it in various ways.

It's a soft magic system that depends heavily on abstract feeling, but there's still grounded rules. You can't just pull water out of your ass in a desert (making water magic useless in deserts), and one action is always counter-balanced with another. If you want to use earth magic in Town A, you may need to take some earth from Town B. If you use water magic HEAVILY in one area, all it does is displace moisture from one place to another. A city might experience drought after a heavy battle between two water mages.

Some elements; like fire and ice, are more exclusive to species that can sustain said properties. Tough luck for reptiles to conjure fucking ice without falling into hibernation but Lordy are they good with infernos.

longer

Balls
Not something I'm using in my current novel, but one that I'm brainstorming for my next work. Essentially magic exists as a sort of hidden particle throughout the world. And although all people are affected by it to some extent, souls requiring a small amount of magic to bind to a body, only some people can utilize it.

The method through which magic is harnessed is through runes, which are symbols left over by a supposed ancient civilizations. Runes are used a bit like forming a sentence. Combined rust with opposite suffix and you get a de-rusting rune. Main limitation is that the amount of known runes is rather limited, particularly due to the burning of a great library and the hoarding of knowledge by various institutions. The possibilities range from creating small embers to transmuting stone into human flesh by changing the atomic makeup of the stone. Of course transmutations and other nuclear level energy requirements would require a proportionally absurd amount of magic, something that is outright impossible for even large groups of mages. Additionally, everything adheres to the conservation of mass, with magic acting as a sort of energy force which can supersede regular energy requirements.

To use magic with a rune, the caster takes moves the magic in the atmosphere using the body as a medium then sending it through the rune. Slates with runes also have to be held by hand or feet since runes magic flows through the extremities of the body. It is not physically possible to channel magic directly to the rune without a physical body. Additionally, the physical body has a limitation to how much magic can be channeled through it, overuse leads to rapid cellular deterioration and death.

The efficiency of runes is also affected by what they're written on. For example, a fire rune would work best if it is written on a piece of charcoal or something similar.

Manipulation of different elements also differs from one another. Manipulating fire starts with using magic to gather up fuel in the air then violently exploding to combust. Therefore using many elements can be difficult because some elements outright contradict one another when it comes to using them.

Last thing is that magic particles exist in a sort of equilibrium in the atmosphere, at least normally. This means manipulating magic to a large degree, such as creating tidal waves, creates a concentration gradient of magic which has to be forcefully maintained throughout the course of a spell. This also means that a less competent mage can reverse things on someone casting a powerful spell since they'll be able to use the force of the gradient in their favor.

Jemini

I am one of those types who went for multiple magic systems in the same story, all operating as different manifestations of the same natural laws.

1. Spirit magic: Magic used by the elemental spirits. This is more like the spirits simply manipulating the element that corresponds to them in whatever manner they wish.

2. Natural magic: Magic used by monsters in the wild. It often has unique effects and manifestations, such as charming people or turning people to stone.

3. Divine magic: Magic used by the gods. Relies heavily on the faith given to them by their believers. They can pass this magic along to their believers.

4. Order magic: Magic used by humans. They have to carve magic formulas directly into their spirits using spiritual energies. This enables them to cast a spell that has exactly 1 effect. It is very D&D-esque in the way that it operates. Order magic usually attempts to imitate spirit or natural magic.

5. Bloodline magic: An extension of order magic. A bloodline most typically originates from a single progenitor who has a blood mage bond a magic formula to their bloodline. This magic formula and the spell-casting ability attached to it can then be passed on to their descendants. Multiple spell formulas can be bonded to a single bloodline.

There are also a-typical ways for a bloodline to develop, such as a birth that shares blood with a species that has nature magic.

6. Balance magic: An exceedingly rare form of magic. The previous five forms of magic are considered to be on a scale of more chaotic at the top to more orderly at #4 and 5. Balance magic skips the magic formula step, but still requires some very precise manipulations of spirit energy and often involves exact gestures.

Technically divine magic is also worthy of the term "balance," but it is only worth calling out and specifically naming it "balance magic" if it is wielded by a mortal without a divine being's help.

RaidenInfinity

One who draws catgirls
Rather than elements, magic in my original character universe is primarily divided into four domains: Time, Space, Matter, Energy. Each domain is governed by one goddess (My profile picture catgirl is the Goddess of Energy).

1627629901586.png

Magic bends the laws of physics to achieve supernatural feats. The closer a law is related to the fundamental forces, the more mana (some kind of otherworldly energy related to the soul) is required to bend it. The goddesses possess "divinity", which is something like an ability that waives or reduces mana cost for spells of their respective domain. Spells that only the goddesses can cast are known as "miracles", such as nuclear fusion of heavy elements that could only happen during a supernova explosion in real life.

The art of directly manipulating mana is known as "mana arts", which is extremely difficult as the user has to understand the principles behind the phenomenons as well as compute the formulas in order to achieve the effects. How much force will be exerted? What is the angle? e=mc^2, F = mg sin x, F = q(E + vB) ... But why not just use a staff equipped with a computer, right?

Last edited:

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
Ima be bored, and if your novel has magic in it tell me how it works. If you do you get ???

The laws of Physics is what decide how everything in the universe interacts with each other.

Magic is
_ the phenomenon that violated the laws of Physics
_ a system created by a consciousness
_ being installed into the universe by a consciousness (intentionally) or being integrated naturally when a universe is formed (unintentionally)
_ being used to make local or universal change that will not cause cascade effect due to causation. Example, moving a planet from this place to another place requires the introduction of external force but this can cause effect to the universe in the far future. Magic is the cheat code that the Creators used to avoid such scenario assuring ceteris paribus (all things held constant).
_ Magic of one system may (heavy emphasis on “may”) not affect the magic of another system

Magic currency (or Currency for short) is what is consumed in order to initiate the magic. They are known in other fictions as mana, soul point, chakra, spirit point, chi, ki… The general rules for currency are, but not limited to:
_ Not interacting with the physical world in any sense. Which means the absence or presence of the currency does not cause any effect on the physical world. Caster exhausting their own currency will not be exhausted physically or die.
_ Does not necessarily needed in a magic system as there are magic systems that do not need to consume the Currency to initiate since they didn’t have one in the first place.

Magic can create two kinds of effect as a result of initiating the magic, physical effect and magical effect.

Physical effect is as the name implied a physical thing. A magic that create a physical light, for example, will make a ray of light that:
_ travel at the speed of light
_ reflected by mirror
_ illuminate darkness
_ blocked by wall, dust, fog…
_ etc.

A magical effect, however, is not a physical thing. Using a magic that creates magical light will make a light that:
_ can or cannot travel at the speed of light
_ can or cannot be reflected by mirror
_ can or cannot illuminate darkness
_ can or can not be blocked by wall, dust, fog…
etc.

The property of the magical light (in the example above) or of magical effect (in general) depended on how they were programmed by the caster during the initiation.

Furthermore, since magical effect is something magical, it can be dispelled by dispel magic or something similar. Physical effect, however, can not be affected by these dispel magics.

Lastly, these thing i mentioned are omniversal properties of Magic Systems. Thus, there are many systems in the local multiverses (and the omniverse). Each has their own currency, some lacks a currency, some have more than 1 currency. Some limit the usage of magic by charge and/or cooldown instead of Currency. They have their own way of interacting with other systems. Some are limited to their original universe. Some expand beyond a large group of multiverses and are dubbed primal systems.

For more specific systems that i am using, you can check the glossary of my fanfic.

Agentt

Thighs
She is a magical girl, she can do whatever she wants, frick rules.

Kitsura

Unfortunatly if I explain the magic system too much I end up spoiling my novel…