The Adventum Contest

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Hey there!

I made this myself, so it doesn't count as stolen artwork despite the center image coming from Mister Google, right?!
The picture you got from google, is it a public domain/royalty free picture?

TowerGuy

The picture you got from google, is it a public domain/royalty free picture?

The image comes from this website.

It says there, "HiClipart is an open community for users to share PNG images, all PNG cliparts in HiClipart are for Non-Commercial Use, no attribution required. If you are the author and find this PNG is shared without your permisson, DMCA report please Contact Us."

I'm not currently commercializing the novel, so it should be okay, I guess?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
The image comes from this website.

It says there, "HiClipart is an open community for users to share PNG images, all PNG cliparts in HiClipart are for Non-Commercial Use, no attribution required. If you are the author and find this PNG is shared without your permisson, DMCA report please Contact Us."

I'm not currently commercializing the novel, so it should be okay, I guess?
Yea that's fine.

Friend

... well am I? or not?
40k words? So like, 6 or 7 of my chapter lengths?

:s_wink:

MajorKerina

I have concerns. I posted a bug report but I worked all day on a new chapter in my entry for the contest. I was working on something else and went back to refresh the Latest list to see where it was but the Latest update notice was completely gone from between two updates of other works on the main page. So much for working all day...when the site just eats notifications X_X...

Mihou

Firefly—
I have concerns. I posted a bug report but I worked all day on a new chapter in my entry for the contest. I was working on something else and went back to refresh the Latest list to see where it was but the Latest update notice was completely gone from between two updates of other works on the main page. So much for working all day...when the site just eats notifications X_X...

- I am quite sorry to hear that your chapter disappeared out of nowhere but more context is needed such as "whether your chapter has been published once but you took it down then published it again" or "did you update your chapter while it was still on the front page" and the likes.

I'll also leave it here, the contest staff, Alverost, has pretty much no control over what happens to the chapters. >w<

* Extras: You can always republish your chapter again but make sure the titles aren't the same. *

MajorKerina

- I am quite sorry to hear that your chapter disappeared out of nowhere but more context is needed such as "whether your chapter has been published once but you took it down then published it again" or "did you update your chapter while it was still on the front page" and the likes.

I'll also leave it here, the contest staff, Alverost, has pretty much no control over what happens to the chapters. >w<

* Extras: You can always republish your chapter again but make sure the titles aren't the same. *

I gave some more context on the bug report page but at the bottom of the main page where it says Latest, my chapter was published and I hadn't published anything to that point. I went to go work on something else and I checked on it and couldn't find it anywhere on the list despite the time when it was published. I hadn't posted anything up to this point for the day. I released it at around 6:15 PM PST because I was done and had been frazzled and working on it all day and I figured, might as well release it before it gets late. My main page says it was updated 3 hours ago (going on four). But it's nowhere there on the list now and it was there before.

Edit - Figured out what went wrong - https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/latest-updates-notices-vanishing.2239/#post-63718 Big thanks to Tony.

Last edited:

Lacy

Hi, I've noticed that, when I'm in 'Add Series' dashboard, there's no category for 'Contest', when the current entries that I see have a 'Contest' section in between their Genre and Tags sections on their story pages. Will this appear if/when the story is added to this list? ( https://www.scribblehub.com/contest/the-adventum-contest ) In addition, how do I add my story to the list? I'm new to actually writing on Scribblehub, so I'm unsure how things work.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Hi, I've noticed that, when I'm in 'Add Series' dashboard, there's no category for 'Contest', when the current entries that I see have a 'Contest' section in between their Genre and Tags sections on their story pages. Will this appear if/when the story is added to this list? ( https://www.scribblehub.com/contest/the-adventum-contest ) In addition, how do I add my story to the list? I'm new to actually writing on Scribblehub, so I'm unsure how things work.
You have to edit your story to manually add it.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
What do we do if we see a story that's breaking the rules? Do we leave a comment/review on the story or the author's page, or just message one of the contest organised directly, or put a comment in this thread?
PM me and I'll sort it out.

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
It should be noted that this competition isn’t an official ScribbleHub competition! Now let’s go into the gritty details before you charge forward.

I have a question... So I submitted my entry on May 30th. I have managed to bang out nearly 60,000 words so far. My entry has made the jump from 50th place up as high as 11th place. However, the stories above mine and below mine keep showing up in the trending list. Obviously, if you are writing for a contest, this seems more than a little unfair. Are certain authors or stories being given preferential treatment? I mean if this is a rigged game, I'll be happy to take my story out of it and just move to a platform with more eyeballs. I am not interested in the contest so much as just having my people read my story. I only wanted to post about this because it seems more than a little weird that only certain stories in the top 20 for the contest appear regularly in the trending list.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I have a question... So I submitted my entry on May 30th. I have managed to bang out nearly 60,000 words so far. My entry has made the jump from 50th place up as high as 11th place. However, the stories above mine and below mine keep showing up in the trending list. Obviously, if you are writing for a contest, this seems more than a little unfair. Are certain authors or stories being given preferential treatment? I mean if this is a rigged game, I'll be happy to take my story out of it and just move to a platform with more eyeballs. I am not interested in the contest so much as just having my people read my story. I only wanted to post about this because it seems more than a little weird that only certain stories in the top 20 for the contest appear regularly in the trending list.
I'm not exactly sure how it's "unfair", stories will end up on trending on their own merit. Nothing here's "rigged", I don't have influence over the trending or anything like that. If any of the authors are dissatisfied, they have all the right to withdraw at any point in time of the competition.

Mihou

Firefly—
I was about to answer that question but it seems like Alvy got it, let me add more details; there are pretty much no moderators in the main website other than the creator/founder of ScribbleHub, Tony, so the chances of the contest being rigged are absolute zero since Tony doesn't read most of the stories in the website (and it would cause drama if he did rig something, not that he has time to since the 6/30 update is close.)

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
I'm not exactly sure how it's "unfair", stories will end up on trending on their own merit. Nothing here's "rigged", I don't have influence over the trending or anything like that. If any of the authors are dissatisfied, they have all the right to withdraw at any point in time of the competition.

Rule 7 of the contest rules is, " Using bots to increase your statistic will get you disqualified and blacklisted from future competitions." How is this rule enforced if no one is moderating the contest entries?

If an author uses bots say one or two days in a row to put themselves on the front page trending list, won't the fact that they are on the front page much longer without having posted new chapters lead to more eyeballs on their work meaning more views? Even if they only use bots to get 5% of their total views, won't the other 95% of legitimate views then be compromised?

I think some people misunderstand me here and probably assume I am being a sore loser or something, I can assure you I really have no interest in winning a prize here, I am asking because I noticed when my own story shot up to the place it is now, that several other stories that were written at the same time as my own are consistently in the trending list. Take a look at the top 20 in the contest and the top of the trending list, you'll see what I mean. The Trending list flips around from time to time but certain novels always seem to be within the top 20 and they are some of the contest entries, it just seems off.

I'm going to remove my story from the contest now, just to assure people I am not raising the issue to promote my own story.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Rule 7 of the contest rules is, " Using bots to increase your statistic will get you disqualified and blacklisted from future competitions." How is this rule enforced if no one is moderating the contest entries?
If you think a story is considered to be botting, it can be reported and will be checked out. The site has its own security measures to prevent botting.

I am asking because I noticed when my own story shot up to the place it is now, that several other stories that were written at the same time as my own are consistently in the trending list.
The trending system isn't simple and that it has its own metrics on what story would get onto trending. Tony has decided to keep the metrics a secret to minimise the probability of people gaming the system.

Tony

Staff member

No, the trending has changed since you were last active. It doesn't work the same way anymore. There's no preferential treatment. I don't see what I would gain by giving certain authors or stories preferential treatment.

How could you hint that the trending system is rigged when you don't understand how it works?