The amount of harem on this site

AKnightWithaKnife

Is it me or does this site have a LOT of harem like in other sites like Royal road or webnovel there isn’t as much of harem. Also can anyone explain all the Echhi and smut to me ?

Michuyu

I haven't read a lot on here yet, but you might be right xD I myself am not into harem, and like reverse-harem a bit more (it depends on the characters tbh) I kind of am writing a reverse harem myself lol

YeetusFeetus

Is it me or does this site have a LOT of harem like in other sites like Royal road or webnovel there isn’t as much of harem. Also can anyone explain all the Echhi and smut to me ?
I've never actually read any of them, but being here for almost a year made me realize almost 70% of this place is filled with Smut and Ecchi, and these tags mean mild lewd scenes up to straight up hentai from what I can guess and have seen.

Stratothrax

If you want your site to grow fast then to be frank being accepting of everything including nsfw does that. That's how patreon originally blew up and became popular.

Considering this site's massive rapid growth it appears to have been the right decision

Last edited:

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
I'd say there's even more on Webnovel but the main page there is controlled manually so it's not shown that much. As for RR, it's just a different type of a community, they like a different kind of things more. You can't really expect every single site to have exactly the same community where tastes are in the same exact numbers, even if some of the users are shared. One will lean more towards a certain genre, other towards another. Simple. As for me, harem or non-harem it all just boils down what is the best for the story you came up with and what you feel like writing.

As for ecchi and smut, well, latter is pretty much stories containing explicit content, but that also includes Adult tag which is the main R-18 genre but people don't tend to know. There's more of those stories here because RR limits the amount of explicit content so of course many authors will come and post here while not being able to do so there.

Jamminrabbit

Hold on, let me try something.

"Is it me or does this site have a LOT of fantasy like in other sites like Royal road or webnovel there isn’t as much of fantasy. Also can anyone explain all the fantasy and action to me ?

There are about 33 pages worth of stories with the harem genre. Only 10 pages worth that are actively updated.
There are 23 pages worth of stories with the smut genre. Only 8 pages worth that are actively updated.
This is in comparison to 144 pages worth of stories with the action genre. About 40 pages worth are actively updated.
There is a whopping 168 pages worth of stories with the fantasy genre. About 44 pages worth that are actively updated.

Actively updated in this case refers to last update since last month of December.

Mind you, a lot of stories tagged with smut, ecchi, and harem, aren't actually smut, ecchi, and harem. But merely tagged in there for maximum clickbait purposes.

So... No... there isn't actually a lot of smut and ecchi and harems in comparison. You probably see a lot of smut, ecchi, and harem because that's what you read or have tunneled vision into.

But to answer your question if it wasn't asked out of ignorance or indignation for the aforementioned genres, I should first say that webnovel has significantly more erotic tags and genre stories. RR has significantly fewer because they vet explicitly erotic content, while SH is more forgiving and has more lenient content policy guidelines.

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
YOU ARE IN WRONG HOUSE FOOL!

SH STANDS FOR SMUTHUB. So we should lived up to it's name by writing more trash smutty harem novels!.

Zones

I've never really understood stuff like this. Specifically
in other sites like Royal road or webnovel there isn’t as much of harem

lol if you actually think that. Almost all the stuff in my library on WN is harem and I never spent much time on RR unless they are actively blocking harem stories I'm unable to believe it is substantially smaller than here or WN.

This website is still smaller than either and yea a lot of r-18 type stuff is easy to find here because it trends so much, because that is what people want to read and unlike other places scribblehub isn't trying to hide it. I mean hell where else are you going to see lbgt stories getting front page attention like they get here? On a website not specifically dedicated to that type of content.

I don't know what curation scribblehub does to their "popular stories" but they don't curate it like RR or WN.

AKnightWithaKnife

Hold on, let me try something.

There are about 33 pages worth of stories with the harem genre. Only 10 pages worth that are actively updated.
There are 23 pages worth of stories with the smut genre. Only 8 pages worth that are actively updated.
This is in comparison to 144 pages worth of stories with the action genre. About 40 pages worth are actively updated.
There is a whopping 168 pages worth of stories with the fantasy genre. About 44 pages worth that are actively updated.

Actively updated in this case refers to last update since last month of December.

Mind you, a lot of stories tagged with smut, ecchi, and harem, aren't actually smut, ecchi, and harem. But merely tagged in there for maximum clickbait purposes.

So... No... there isn't actually a lot of smut and ecchi and harems in comparison. You probably see a lot of smut, ecchi, and harem because that's what you read or have tunneled vision into.

But to answer your question if it wasn't asked out of ignorance or indignation for the aforementioned genres, I should first say that webnovel has significantly more erotic tags and genre stories. RR has significantly fewer because they vet explicitly erotic content, while SH is more forgiving and has more lenient content policy guidelines.
I meant the dubmasses who don’t put harem in the tags in but even with the more lenient polices the amount of harem and how its written on this site makes me cringe a bit ( case in point slave harem)
I've never really understood stuff like this. Specifically

lol if you actually think that. Almost all the stuff in my library on WN is harem and I never spent much time on RR unless they are actively blocking harem stories I'm unable to believe it is substantially smaller than here or WN.

This website is still smaller than either and yea a lot of r-18 type stuff is easy to find here because it trends so much, because that is what people want to read and unlike other places scribblehub isn't trying to hide it. I mean hell where else are you going to see lbgt stories getting front page attention like they get here? On a website not specifically dedicated to that type of content.

I don't know what curation scribblehub does to their "popular stories" but they don't curate it like RR or WN.
yeah It’s just that usually my favorite tag isekai is just harem on this site

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
Harem is also utilized with the definition of having multiple potential romantic interests for a single character. I found myself simply using the tag not necessarily because I am going to have my mc end up with multiple characters at the end, but because there are hints at many possible love interests. The mc could end up with one individual in the end. Depends how the relationships work out.
I guess it is sort of a thing with anime and light novels to utilize harem this way, even though it is usually referred to as a polygamous relationship with one man having many woman as wives and/or concubines.
This is why I'll at least give the synopsis a read for a story. Sometimes the tags can be referred to in different ways and certain ones may be a pretty small focus.

Aaky

I meant the dubmasses who don’t put harem in the tags in but even with the more lenient polices the amount of harem and how its written on this site makes me cringe a bit ( case in point slave harem)

Isekai and Harem are like Pizza and Peperroni. Sure, you can order a pizza that doesn't have peperoni, but when most people think of pizza, they assume it has Peperroni.

moeforsushi

Another thing is that a good portion of RR users are too stuck up their ass to enjoy smut/harem stories. I've been using RR for many years - started around the time when the first chapters of "The Arcane Emperor" came out - and to be honest I've never encountered a more elitist online writing community. There is little to no place for simple and fun stories which is pretty much the definition of the harem genre for many people. They expect a "printed" quality from amateur writers. Big fan of some of the novels on there, not a big fan of the community and the site itself. + I know that not all people there are like that, but there is enough to spoil the site for me.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I don't have a problem with people not liking harem/smut, my point is that there is no need to be condescending to people that do.

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Isekai and Harem are like Pizza and Peperroni. Sure, you can order a pizza that doesn't have peperoni, but when most people think of pizza, they assume it has Peperroni.
:blob_neutral:Pepperoni? Surely, not here in Italy. You get a Margherita without salami.

Reactions: CL

Ununique

Messiah of Alternate Accounts.
Another thing is that a good portion of RR users are too stuck up their ass to enjoy smut/harem stories. I've been using RR for many years - started around the time when the first chapters of "The Arcane Emperor" came out - and to be honest I've never encountered a more elitist online writing community. There is little to no place for simple and fun stories which is pretty much the definition of the harem genre for many people. They expect a "printed" quality from amateur writers. Big fan of some of the novels on there, not a big fan of the community and the site itself. + I know that not all people there are like that, but there is enough to spoil the site for me.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I don't have a problem with people not liking harem/smut, my point is that there is no need to be condescending to people that do.

Dude you have no idea, I was on a discord once with a bunch of authors and some readers on RR and they straight shit on SH for simply hosting series they claim to be 'immoral' like it's everyone's job to write high quality sophisticated bodies of work. Especially when they claim the author that writes these stories to be toxic or dehumanizing when in the end it's literally a fictional story that has garnered a lot of interest by entertaining its readers. In fact a particularly known author posted one of their stories from here, and some asshole decided to harass people into rating it lower on the RR side. It's just worse knowing that they seem to relish in the idea of white knighting and pretending they have some control over culture. In one sentence someone stated "I just don't want shit like this that demeans and normalizes the humiliation and degrading of women." on a fucking story that has slave in the title and a self insert protagonist in the synopsis.

moeforsushi

Dude you have no idea, I was on a discord once with a bunch of authors and some readers on RR and they straight shit on SH for simply hosting series they claim to be 'immoral' like it's everyone's job to write high quality sophisticated bodies of work. Especially when they claim the author that writes these stories to be toxic or dehumanizing when in the end it's literally a fictional story that has garnered a lot of interest by entertaining its readers. In fact a particularly known author posted one of their stories from here, and some asshole decided to harass people into rating it lower on the RR side. It's just worse knowing that they seem to relish in the idea of white knighting and pretending they have some control over culture. In one sentence someone stated "I just don't want shit like this that demeans and normalizes the humiliation and degrading of women." on a fucking story that has slave in the title and a self insert protagonist in the synopsis.
I remember when author of EPIC on WN wanted to expand his reach to other sites. I'm not sure if he posted it on SH, but when he posted it on RR he got a bunch of one star reviews, got called a pedophile - among other things. Soon after his work got so many reports that it was deleted from the site. To be fair, iirc his story was against their regulamin, so I understand why it got removed, but the hate he received was unreal.

I get why EPIC may be offensive for some people, but still... sometimes people act like they can't differentiate fiction from reality.

sereminar

RR doesn't allow smut on its site, which is why relatively scribblehub has so much more. That's the big reason. Thankfully authors on scribblehub are decent about tagging their stories and there are a lot more tags to choose from to better tailor your reading experience

Daitengu

Harem wise, it is a lot.

Problem is, I've seen authors ask readers who to have as best girl, and there's a ton of readers just spamming harem.

So, I can't say it's JUST the authors' fault. It's a super popular tag for all them types over compensating for their loneliness/horniness.

Zones

Isekai is almost always wish fulfillment. There are obviously exceptions like revenge stories or the ones where the author gets off on tormenting the MC, but for the most part wish fulfillment power fantasies.