The Anti-Reader: Worst Possible Combination of Tags and Genres

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Everyone has been saying that the audience favours certain genres and tags more than others, and people are encouraged to write what the audience wants if they want some guarantee chance of success.

This thread, however, isn't like that. We are the rebel, so we'll do things differently. I ask thee, the lurkers of ScribbleHub Forum, theoretically, what is the worst combination of genres and tags that will net the lowest possible reader gain (of ScribbleHub audience), assuming that all other factors are equalized (upload frequency, quality, quantity etc.).

My thought: I don't know. For some input, I would argue that the polarizing/controversial tag/genre won't net you the lowest reader gains. There are what people either love or hate and not what see and think "how is this a story." Sport and Josei are probably the lowest combinations of genres (it doesn't exist in ScribbleHub!). About the tag, I don't really know.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
throw in netorare and rape victim turned lover
i actually seen that combination somewhere on this site but it was absolutely negated by the fact that proceeding those tags was the glowing neon sign saying "GIRLS' LOVE"

Can't remember the name but it had 4.5 stars. 4.5 times the faith lost in humanity.

Wintertime

King of Nothing
I don't really think you can have a bad combination of genres per se, but lackadaisical writing and bad story plots yield much more annoyance in my eyes than a tag or genre of a novel. So, I wouldn't know.

Leti

Any completed true oneshots that isn't written prior to 2020 and is shorter than 2K words.

D

Deleted member 29316

My philosophy in writing is to never pander on the reader, so yeah, I got low follows and likes.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
I write what I love and that tends to only apply to a select group of people. However I think Sports are a bore unless it's anime. So sports x anything is hqrd to keep my interests.

Writers, write what you love. Not what you think others will love.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Dunno. Usually, around the web, deep economics is quite a niche genre. Not that many people like to read about the complex workings of some systems. As someone who actually studied that and like when some appear, like in Past Life Regressor, this feels sad, but understandable.

Tags don't matter for me though, but the genre does.
even for my own story, I'm still confused about what tags to use:blob_upset:

Alienix

Yaoi featuring two eldritch abominations or worse harem of eldritch abominations. Ah, and add vanilla tag. Don't forget to add xianxia genre because it will be 1000+ chapters

#edit 4

Titanoktonon

Oneshot, fan fiction, tragedy
I wrote something like that on AO3 last year, feel free to look up my username if you've played Monster Hunter World and want something that is technically tragic, but you aren't invested in the ship and more bemused by than saddened.

Nakakure

For me it's gender bender + girl love. I found it lack a true esence of why i love gender bender genre, Which for me is accepting your new gender or how they co-op with the change in their bodies. Like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200824_202716.jpg
    Screenshot_20200824_202716.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 107

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
My philosophy in writing is to never pander on the reader, so yeah, I got low follows and likes.
To be honest, it is your own work, I mean it is okay to throw a bone once in a while to fans, but if they want you to shape the world you created into their image, kindly tell them to write a fanfic of your work instead.

D

Deleted member 29316

To be honest, it is your own work, I mean it is okay to throw a bone once in a while to fans, but if they want you to shape the world you created into their image, kindly tell them to write a fanfic of your work instead.
It's one of my traumas when I was just starting. I posted on RoyalRoad and some time later, a reader told me that he's got a problem with my MC and would only read it if I rewrite him according to his tastes.

I took down my work instead.