The Anti-Reader: Worst Possible Combination of Tags and Genres

dicloniuslord

more like titles/descriptions than genres/tags, but... anyway, dont really wanna name names lest i offend the authors (though i will if asked, to give exact examples) but what i feel (based on my own personal feelings) are those BL novels with titles like chinese WNs (or those stories that are either an actual chinese WN or an author trying to create them, based on their title). I would also say those fanfic style stories whose title doesnt match up with the universe that they're putting (or at least trying to put) their story into

Undeadd

throw in netorare and rape victim turned lover
i actually seen that combination somewhere on this site but it was absolutely negated by the fact that proceeding those tags was the glowing neon sign saying "GIRLS' LOVE"

Can't remember the name but it had 4.5 stars. 4.5 times the faith lost in humanity.
Even if there's a GL tag I wouldn't read stuff with those tags, my hatred for NTR is just that high, I also hate the other tag but NTR is the thing I hate the most

JCountry

Worst possible? Well, that is an opinion, but for me, that would be a Cultivation novel with the Tragedy tag(Huge Turn off for me. IF I could erase the entire genre from history I would), Boys Love (another big turn off, but not as bad) and Netorare (I think most people can guess why). That about covers the list though. I will read just about any novel, but if it has just one of those tags I often don't give it a second look. Especially the Tragedy tag, I have a very strong hatred of that.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
It's one of my traumas when I was just starting. I posted on RoyalRoad and some time later, a reader told me that he's got a problem with my MC and would only read it if I rewrite him according to his tastes.

I took down my work instead.
You can always tell him to go fuck off.

Or better yet, tell him to delete that ridiculous post of his.

Seriously, he don't like the premise, study the premise and craft another one with his own liking then.

I thought the author has the rights to delete any offensive posts and block certain readers? Screenshot the comment, delete it and shut the guy off, if that guy wants to play, put up the screenshot.

As a reader myself, if I don't like the MC, I will either drop the work on the spot or something. Unless you tell me to give constructive feedbacks which is impossible. Because as a writer, who posted elsewhere but just not in SH yet, I am having shits on my own work and understand that crafting world and people is a pain in the ass.

I don't have the audacity to actually demand changes made, unless the guy's a paying customer, then I might either yield a bit or ask him to switch shop.

If the guy is a free reader, be polite and tell him to get the fuck out, or unless you think that his words might be constructive to your work, then take it with a pinch of salt.

D

Deleted member 29316

You can always tell him to go fuck off.

Or better yet, tell him to delete that ridiculous post of his.

Seriously, he don't like the premise, study the premise and craft another one with his own liking then.

I thought the author has the rights to delete any offensive posts and block certain readers? Screenshot the comment, delete it and shut the guy off, if that guy wants to play, put up the screenshot.
Well, I'm not a confrontational person unless necessary. And RoyalRoad doesn't have that function for the author to delete the reviews or enable you to defend your work. (At least during my stint there)

But in any case, it's just a not-so-nice memory now. I'm working on to make myself take such nonsense easily (because yeah, they don't make sense). Especially when I always experiment theories I form in my head through my stories, and don't always pander to the readers. (Like blending Isekai and Psychological genres...it's slow paced)

Oh, and thanks for the advices!

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Everyone has been saying that the audience favours certain genres and tags more than others, and people are encouraged to write what the audience wants if they want some guarantee chance of success.

This thread, however, isn't like that. We are the rebel, so we'll do things differently. I ask thee, the lurkers of ScribbleHub Forum, theoretically, what is the worst combination of genres and tags that will net the lowest possible reader gain (of ScribbleHub audience), assuming that all other factors are equalized (upload frequency, quality, quantity etc.).

My thought: I don't know. For some input, I would argue that the polarizing/controversial tag/genre won't net you the lowest reader gains. There are what people either love or hate and not what see and think "how is this a story." Sport and Josei are probably the lowest combinations of genres (it doesn't exist in ScribbleHub!). About the tag, I don't really know.
For me personally, it would be a combo of tragedy + harem.
'-'

X

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
If you ask me, the best way to turn people away from your novel through pure tags/genre is to be contradictory to the point where people think you have no idea what you are doing

For example, BL and all girls school, or putting all the different kinds of possible protaganist tags (strong protag, weak protag, lazy protag, hard-working protag, etc.) and don't have a multiple protagonist tag, and people will think you're lying.

This isn't exactly tags/genres, but if you take both sides of a controversial topic, that also works well in scaring everyone away. For example, you could have the full spectrum of LGBTQ characters in your story.... and make your story homophobic/transphobic, etc (and I don't mean having it, but supporting those views). Anyone who is supportive of the LGBTQ community will be disgusted with your homophobia/transphobia, etc , while people who are those will be turned off by the fact that you have those as the MC.

If you have traditional disliked tags like NTR and whatnot, there are a few enthusiasts for those so that would end up attracting them instead.

Alternatively, just put tags no one cares about and write something that appeals to little people on here. (like nonfiction or something)

vivie

A bl wuxia with ntr, tragedy and a gore warning would probably be one of the worst abominations possible.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I don't have any ideas for worse mixes but someone mentioned something to me that I've NEVER seen or read.

Netorare and Yuri. Is that even a thing?

vivie

yes and it's every bit as disgusting as straight ntr

HJ

No click bait tags. I kinda suck at putting catchy tags mainly because I only input what is actually in my stories. Thus my novels don't really get much views. Oh well, that's how it is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29316

What does that mean? :unsure:
I experimented on blending isekai and psychological genres and it was slow-paced because I had to flesh out the motivations of the characters. Some readers who preferred jumping into action ASAP apparently didn't like that.

ForestDweller

I experimented on blending isekai and psychological genres and it was slow-paced because I had to flesh out the motivations of the characters. Some readers who preferred jumping into action ASAP apparently didn't like that.

I mean, what's the psychological part about?

ForestDweller

Ah yes, the psych part in my novel is that the motivation of my characters drive the story.

Or did I get the question wrong again? 😅

Um, I don't think I quite understand what you're talking about. I mean, that's just what every good story does, doesn't it?