The Genre I Hate: Gender-Bender

sabazurc

So you are making an assumption?

You're not just annoyed, you're also angry about it. Is someone going to rant just because they were annoyed or some sort? If you're neighbors kid hit you with a baseball, would you do a facebook post about it for 150 words?

Okay, bro, you good now?
Of course, I am assuming, I do not know you after all. But based on what you wrote...yeah you seem very agitated. I have been annoyed with that genre for some time now, I just decided to write about it only now. Yeah, I'm good so have a nice day, hopefully in other places where you will be calmer.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
But based on what you wrote...yeah you seem very agitated. I have been annoyed with that genre for some time now, I just decided to write about it only now. Yeah, I'm good so have a nice day, hopefully in other places where you will be calmer.
So you are making an assumption? That would mean I am not really agitated, correct?

Reisinling

The main reasons I dislike this genre are: 1) Often you have a completely straight dude turning into a woman. If it was someone who wanted that or at least was considering, I would not mind (It might even be interesting to see the journey of transitioning if the character originally wanted it). If that crap happened in real life to some straight guy, many would literally off themselves after some time, so that makes me hate it. 2) Feels like some male authors who have no idea how to write realistic female character choose this way so the character can have a "male-like" personality and make their job easier. If you can't write the main character who is a female just write about the male one. 3) I am annoyed right now because I searched some new stories on scribblehub to read and too many of them had a gender-bender tag, so I made this thread to whine.
If you just want to vent, feel free to ignore this post-
But if you want a solution, ask for inclusion of tag "gender dysphoria" or something about gender-identity drama. Stories with those tags would solve your problem.

Jamminrabbit

tensei pandemic] : animenocontext

TunTun

@sabazurc

Yeah Gender Bender is a stupid ass genre for guys who can't write women, and so take the easy way out and create a mutant-hybrid-esque human being to cop out and compensate for their writing weaknesses. Oh and cuz yuri. Gotta fetish the fetish and whatnot.
If you say this, then you don't know what you are talking about.

People don't write GB because they are bad at writing women.

Motsu

No. The assumptions are not inherently wrong...in fact, more and more you reply to me...more it seems like I was right.
Hmmm? You're making less and less sense to me. I thought maybe we'd get this over with saying you made an assumption, but you're really self-conceited. Oh my, back at it again.

sabazurc

Hmmm? You're making less and less sense to me. I thought maybe we'd get this over with saying you made an assumption, but you're really self-conceited. Oh my, back at it again.
I do not think you even understand what the word "assumption" means at this point. Rage more I guess.

Motsu

I do not think you even understand what the word "assumption" means at this point. Rage more I guess.
You just assumed that I am raging. So, I know the word.

AsphodelVeil

The main reasons I dislike this genre are: 1) Often you have a completely straight dude turning into a woman. If it was someone who wanted that or at least was considering, I would not mind (It might even be interesting to see the journey of transitioning if the character originally wanted it).
Search for Gender Bender genre + Transgender tag and you'll find what you're looking for.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
If you say this, then you don't know what you are talking about.

People don't write GB because they are bad at writing women.
Guess we're going to agree to disagree. Or, I'll compromise and say perhaps not all, but by far most.
How about men who only write Wuxia or Sci-fi, and have zero female characters? Why is it only seen bad on men that write GB?
never read a novel of any genre in my life that didn;t have at least one of both genders. load of bullshit response here.

sabazurc

You just assumed that I am raging. So, I know the word.
Good, at least you know the word "assume". Just because people assume something does not mean it's a wrong assumption. Some things might not be 100% provable but are highly probably so it's very correct to assume those things. And based on what you wrote, you getting agitated because of this thread is highly probable.