Writing Prompt The Isekai'er that didn't get a job change

Llamadragon

Our hero/heroes got summoned to the other world and tasked with defeating the demon lord or whatever. It's a game-like world with status windows, levels and classes, so when they open their stat window to inspect their character sheet, they expect a class or job like 'archer' or 'warrior' or 'mage', but the reality they faced was that... *drumroll*... they kept the same job they had on Earth and for better or worse, the skills they'd get when leveling up later would be related to whatever their previous occupation was.

HonestMistake

The lazy dude on the late night shift at the grocery store stocking shelves has to save the world.......

Azrie

Redemption Seeker
My name is Jerry, there isn't anything worth mentioning about me. I live my life normally and work as a Janitor in some random school. The children treat me kindly, but I think that's because I am not creepy looking, just an average man with okay features, nothing worth mentioning.

I basically clean the floors and do other miscellaneous tasks. However I am in quite a predicament right now, I am not in the school, not at home, I am not any place I recognize. I am currently standing on this crystal platform with a single erected totem in the middle. It seemed to be some sort of altar.

"What's going on?!" The problem was, I was not alone. There were multiple people. A fisherman, a nurse, a cop, a stunt actor. No one really seemed to know each other; giving each other suspicious looks but in the end, no one acted on their impulses — out of fear, out of insecurity... There could've been multiple reasons to why no one moved an inch.

"Glad you are all here..." a mysterious all-enveloping voice resounded throughout our heads. Some people smacked their heads, others frantically looked around at the source. I personally understood it was a voice inside my head. I couldn't help but feel surprised but that was all.

"Some of you might be confused," the voice continued. "Worry n—"

"What are we doing here?!" the female nurse questioned in a state of panic. She was kneeling on the floor and scrunching her eyes trying to forget everything.

"You are all heroes, you will save this world that has been taken over by an evil existance, you wi—"

"You know, I might have been a Weeb. But, this is too much." The cashier that was talking crossed his arms.

"Like I was saying, you wi—" The voice was interrupted once again. By demands. The voice kept trying to explain with infinite wisdom and patience, however the people were having none of it. Eventually we heard an ear-piecing sigh.

"You know what! You are all heroes, save the world!" after the voice exclaimed in rage my vision darkened and I felt my body be suspended in the air.

I woke up and saw something floating above my vision.

[You are currently in — Skyfall Great Labyrinth — lowest floor]

It was like a game, I also saw some kind of user interface. It closely resembled the only game I played, I joked and decided to think about my status, of course, I did not think anything could happen, how could it? That's just impo—

[Jerry Gray — Janitor (level 1) — skills: (fantastic cleaning level 1) (Acid cleaning level 1) (Disposal level 1)]

I was taken aback by this and took a step back. I hit the humid and rocky wall behind, it felt real. I reread my status once again and saw things made sense. Except for acid cleaning. I remember working with acid before, but it was for a day or two. Before I realized, I was gripping a metal mop tightly. It was warm and comfortable; telling me it was just for me. However I did not have time to enjoy it.

"Kgshaaah!" I heard a cry behind me, it was creepy. I instantly turned around, there was a giant black spider observing me with its eight-red-eyes. However it lifted two of its front legs before putting it down and preparing for something. I normally wouldn't have flinched to a puny spider. Except this one was over one meter in size.

I jumped from my spot out of panic and before I knew it there was spider web there. I had no time to worry about it. It was to live or be killed, no child game, no being kind to Ms. Spider. I had to kill her. I held my weapon to hit it, except it was a mop. The spider was preparing again.

I dodged almost as if I was blessed by some super reaction speed or something. The spider swung its frontal leg with a metallic glint. It was as sharp as a blade. I dodged it and smacked it with all my might using my mop.

CCRACK.

"Shaaaaaaa!" the spider screamed in agony and gave me a death-glare. I flinched. However when it tried to lunge itself at me his leg did not support his weight and made it tumble. Its stance was broken. It was my chance.

[Acid cleaning]! My mop was clad in some green substance, but I had no time to worry about it.

Bang!

One smack and it staggered.

BANG!

Two smacks and it staggered once again, three, four, five. It's exoskeleton started to crack. Six... I kept smashing it and lost count, however it kept trying to get up. In a panic I continued.

CRACK!

The exoskeleton finally broke and the spider lost its strength — with now a limp body it gave its last death throes before dying.

<You have killed Skyfall Spider>
<You have killed an enemy...>
<Calculating xp difference...>
<You have been awarded 47,680xp>

Ting~

[Mop mastery has increased to master level V]

I began hearing a lot more tings. My muscles trembled, my head screamed, my heart rushed. I couldn't keep my consciousness and fainted. The pain was extreme, almost as if my body was breaking down. It took me quite a long time but I finally woke up and got up with zero difficulty.

My clothes were ripped and I looked at my entire body.

"Holy fck..." I had a six-pack. My body was one akin to a Greek God sculpture. Being in a dream? That would be unfortunate but I will enjoy it for as long as I can. I was still gripping my mop for some strange reason.

Okay... I don't even know what I am doing... I hope it's enjoyable. Typed it in the middle of physics and history class. Worth it? I don't know, but it certainly took longer than envisioned.

Ninetailed_Furball

I was on my way back from the lavs after training when it happened. A bright light shone from under me, blinding me.

After a few seconds, the light faded, and I was in a large stone room. There were glowy lines on the ground crisscrossing in some sort of fantasical pattern. Ahead of me were quite a few people, most of whom were wearing bath robes for some reason.

"Hark! The summoning has succeeded!"

The weirdos were clapping for some reason, tears in their eyes. I was just there in my PTs. Can I go now?

"You! You have been summoned from your realm to ours to save us from the Dark Lord of Terror!"

"Wot now?"

"Umm, do you understand what I am speaking? Are the words that come out of my mouth comprehensible to you?"

The guy in the fanciest bath robes yelled at me slowly enunciating every word.

"Stop it, fer god's sake, put a nub in it. Ya don' hav'ta yell!"

"Oh, the translation magic appears to be functional, though only barely...Now! You have been chosen amongst countless to save our realm from the tyranny of the Dark Lord of Terror!"

"Ya, okay. It's been fun, but I'mma gonna go home, 'kay?"

"But, the Dark Lord of Terror. You. You have been chosen as the one to save us from his tyranny..."

The old man just fumbled with his words, like he got hit in the head or something.

"Ya, so get the army then. Or maybe the air force. I'm just one gunner. Ya don't need me. I only want my pension and gtfo."

"Th, the army isn't able to fight him. They have lose every battle, so they must be lead by a hero. You!"

"Yea, but like I said, I'm a gunner. No one to be leading. You give me a gun, and I'll gunner it. But if yer don't, lemme go home."

"But wait! You are blessed with powers to allow you to battle the Dark Lord of Terror on even ground! Just say 'status' and you'll see!"

"Fine. I'll pay yer game. Status."

But against all expectations, a transparent window showed up in front of me.

[Name: Jim Abbots
Class: Artillery Gunner
Strength: 9
Constitution: 8
Agility: 6
Intelligence: 3
Wisdom: 4
Skills: Rangefinder Rank 1]

"Wot the hell mate! What's this thing?!"

"That, is your status you are seeing. It shows your personal information, including your class and skills. I'm sure that the legendary class you have received will allow you to battle the Dark Lord of Terror."

"Ya, yer see, I'm a gunner. It says so on my thingy. But a gunner can't gun without a gun. You gonna give me dat?"

"Huh? A gun? What sort of object is that? You should be able to do everything you need with the skills provided."

"You fer real?! Wot's a gunner gonna do without a gun?! All I got is something called 'Rangefinder'!"

"If you examine the skill, you can discover what it does."

"Wot it does?! It's a given wot it does! It finds da range of something! Look! You're 7.263 meters away from me! Dat's wot it does!"

"Oh my. Is that it?"

"Fer christ's sake, of course that's all it does! How's a gunner gonna gun without knowing how far the target is?!"

The confusion lasted for quite a while before everyone calmed down.

Unfortunately for me, I couldn't get a second try on a class, and the guys here haven't even heard of a gun before, much less make one.

I've been living out my days measuring distances for map makers. Ironically, the maps I've been helping to make has turned the war around and now the dark lord's on the back foot it seems.

Maybe afterwards, I can get a nice pension from the king here or something.

This place isn't so bad once you get used to it, though I really wish they had a working lav.

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
Ha. Ha.
"Haaaaahhhhhh." I sighed. How magical. How wonderful.

Name: Andrew Sanders
Level: 0
Job: Engineer
Constitution: 5
Strength: 5
Dexterity: 6
Intellect: 9
Wisdom: 7
Charisma: 5
Job Specific Attributes:
Ingenuity: 8
Memory: 7

Skills:
Mechanical Design (I)
Build Machine (I)
(Other skills must be unlocked)

Right. That seems fine, everything is fine.

"Oh, hero of the goddess, we welcome you to our kingdom!" Said the ecstatic old man standing before me.

Right. This is normal. Everything is normal.

"Now that you have arrived, we will finally be able to defeat the wicked demon king!" Said a woman in white robes. "I'm certain the gifts the goddess has given you shall save us!"

Nope. This is horrible. Everything is bad.

"Say, are there any ways to get multiple jobs, or to change your own job?" I ask in a totally not suspicious way.

The happy old man doesn't notice and happily answers. "None!"

Ah.

Crap.

Last edited:

Nijiro

"Getting transported to another world?"

System : "Yes. The world you are about to enter has many similarities to the role-playing games of Earth. All the skills you have obtained during your life will be maintained, and I will even set them to the maximum level."

"... I'm a 14 year old unemployed highschool student. I'm pretty sure I don't have any skills."

System : "... I'm sure you'll be fine. Well, I'll check back in after a few days to see how things are going. Good luck."

And then I got reincarnated.

Well that was anticlimatic. From complete nothingness to just standing in a room.

Dylan Yang​
[Unemployed]​
HP : 100​
MP : 100​
LUC : 100​
Skills​
[ Studying lvl100 ( Active ) ]​

... I guess I should have expected this.

I closed my status and looked around the room. It seemed to be a library of some sort, with shelves of books all around.

I took a book of on of the shelves at random and took a look. "A Thesis on the usage of Magic to create Phenomena". Thankfully, it seemed to be in English.

Curious about the contents, and about magic in general, I started flipping through it. It took only a minute, and suprisingly, I understood most of it. By the end I could freely do things like create fireballs in midair or shine light.

I guess that's the effect of having a level 100 studying skill. It's suprisingly useful.

I decided that the best thing for me to do was to read more of the books. After all, I could read at an inhumanly fast speed, absorbing the contents of each page with just a glance.

Just a few hours after being reincarnated, I was already able to use multiple Calamity level spells and knew the map of the world like the back of my hand.

"Maybe this won't be so bad after all"

[ A week later ]

I was relaxing in my palace when I felt the system connecting to my mind again.

System : "Just checking back in. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing just fine." Indeed, with all the knowledge and spells from the library I had learned, taking over the world and gaining immortality had been easy.

System : "I can see that. Well, seeing as you don't require my assistance anymore, this will be the last you see of me until you die. Good bye."

Just like that, the connection to the system ended.

And that is the story of how the world was taken over in under a week by some random highschool student.

FIN.

D

Deleted member 12959

[ Beginner ], his title flashed. It stood as a reminder that he was the only one to ever fail the first job change. A trial that gave no second chance.

Rabbits! not goblins, but rabbits, damn it!

His steps walked the green fields with the wind as guidance. The sun's warmth became deceptive, and no longer did it exude safety. Even the scratch of grass felt as if it could cause damage to his frail body, but he protruded the nature's bite nonetheless.

Cancerous giant... You've followed me all the way to my second life?! What for? Haven't I suffered enough?!

His heart still ached when he stared at his log of failed quests.

[ Job Change Special Quest — Slay 20 Rabbits before darkness ]

During the quest, golden rays embraced him from behind as his sword pierced the innocent animals. In the open field, there was no place for hiding, but as if the sun wanted to stop his murder spree, it extinguished behind the moon. A chill descended over the lands, and the green turned deep blue. It was night during day, and it was dark during light.

[ Quest Failed! — Slay 20 Rabbits before darkness ]

"What is going on?! What happened to the light?"

"Look at the sky! The light is being devoured! We are cursed by ever night!"

"We are doomed..."

... An eclipse?! Out of all the times... ?

Reactions: tak

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
The beautiful goddess slowly rubbed her temple as her right eyebrow twitched, "Let me get this straight. You want me to allow you to retain your knowledge and abilities in the new world? You really wouldn't rather have an offensive or defensive treasure or maybe even a skill?"

Thirty-four-year-old Jake Rawlings nodded and cleared his throat and explained in an articulate calm even tone, "Yes, you see I feel like my knowledge from our superior technological society and wits will allow me to have a superior advantage in this new world. A cheat like skill or weapon might allow me a slight advantage, but nothing like having the deeper level of knowledge that my world's common sense would give me."

The goddess did a slow facepalm and then said, "You understand that you'll be facing the demon lord, right? Are you sure this is what you really want?"

"I'm sure. Please allow me to keep my knowledge." He nodded.

The goddess shook her head and waved her hand dismissively while mumbling, "Fine, do what you want. I'll just find another person to be the hero."

Jake started to get a bad feeling after hearing the last bit but soon he was falling through a void until the lights brightened up. He woke up staring at a strange sky. He looked around and saw a primitive-looking world. Off in the distance, he saw an old farm. He stood up and smirked, "Now I just need to find the materials to forge myself a gun and some bullets. Then I'll effing dominate!" He thought for a moment and then said, "Status!"

[Name: Jake Rawlings]
[Class: Customer Service Agent]
[Level: 1]
[Strength: 1]
[Agility: 1]
[Magic: 0]
[Intelligence: 1]
[Wisdom: 0]
[Skills: Telephone Customer Service I, Computer Use I]

Jake blinked at his status unsure what he was looking at. "Shouldn't I be the hero? Why are my stats so low? Maybe I need to level up to get my power." He thought while rubbing his chin. With nothing else to do about it, Jake walked over to the farm. He saw a man out tending the fields and walked over to ask him for directions to the local town. "Excuse me, sir, I'm a little lost, could you tell me how to get to the nearest town?"

The farmer looked him up and down and said, "Town's down the east road. It's about four day's walk from here. You sick or something? You look like you have been laying in bed for years."

Jake frowned and replied, "I'm fine, thank you. Is there an Inn or a place to get some food nearby?"

The farmer leaned over and spit, "You ain't from around here, are you? Look, my farm is the only place around here for twenty Glips. If you need something to eat you can hunt in the forest or work here on my farm a bit. I don't run a charity. If you want to eat here you need to carry a share of the work."

Jake rubbed his chin and started thinking out loud, "Hmm, I don't know how to hunt so I need to work for this hillbilly. Excuse me, sir, what kind of work do you have available here?"

The farmer's eyebrow twitched a little and then he replied, "Farm Work."

Jake nodded and said, "If you wouldn't mind, I would like to work for you until I can head to town." The farmer tried having Jake do a few chores around the farm but he wasn't suited for any of it. Eventually, the farmer felt a little bad and decided to take him to town.

They started off in an old beat-up wagon drawn by an ox. As they made their way down the road they found an injured rabbit. The Farmer looked at Jake and said, "We're in luck, there's dinner. Go and finish it off while I start a fire."

Jake climbed down from the wagon and walked over to the injured rabbit. He wasn't sure how to kill it, so he tried choking it. After a few minutes, the rabbit finally died.

[+10 experience. You are now level 2. You have gained 1 stat point, 1 skill point, and 1 ability point.]

Jake did a fist pump and then quickly adjusted his status. He thought to himself, "I need to increase my stats if I want to survive here. I should probably increase my intelligence first since that's my trump card. I wonder what skills and abilities I can choose?" He opened his skill panel first...

[Available skills: Phone mastery I, Looking Busy I]

Jake frowned at the choices. He selected looking Busy I since there were no phones. He thought to himself, "I suppose I'll need to go to the adventurers guild in town and change my class in order to properly advance." A few minutes later bandits found them and killed them. Once again Jake found himself sitting before the beautiful goddess.

"Oh, Jake, you're back. Shocker. I'm sorry but you won't get a third chance at life. You do qualify for a position here with us though. Just go through the double doors there and you'll be taken to your new life." The goddess smirked.

Jake walked through the doors and was led to a cubicle with a desk, computer and phone. He logged in and started his new life... Jake Rawlings, Isekai customer support agent. "Thank you for calling the Isekai customer support line this is Jake, how can I help you?"

"Status!"

"Just give me one moment.." Jake furiously typed and then hit the send button. "Let's see... Ok, here we go, Mr. Loggins, you currently have 10 strength, 13 agility, 35 magic, 20 intelligence, and 10 wisdom. Your current Skills are Magery IV, Element Control II, and Combat Mastery III. Was there anything else I could help you with today? No? Well, have a great day Mr. Loggins thank you for calling Isekai Customer Support."

Llamadragon

"UWAAAA!"
"Moooooooommyyyyy!"
*Indecipherable child noises*

In the middle of this crowd of scared, crying toddlers, was Arlene. Her face was still frozen with the smile that had been genuine not five seconds earlier, when she was still happily talking to her co-worker about some kid that had started to read on her own. Each of her hands held the hand of a young child, and many of the rest were now clinging to her sun dress.

This wasn't the park. This was some sort of.. it looked like a scene out of a movie, with the floors and walls made out of some sort of glass-like crystal. Tall, stained windows displayed scenes of men slaying dragons, and the hall was as high as a five story building was tall. Aside from her and the dozen children she knew and helped take care of every weekday, there weren't that many people - a handful of folks in some sort of medieval fantasy armor, a dude on a throne, and a guy cosplaying a wizard.

The armored folks seemed to be trained to be expressionless, but she saw some of their eyelids twitch. The man on the throne raised his white eyebrows and sent a questioning look of seething anger at the wizard fellow. So her gaze also landed on the wizard. He had an expression she felt was similar to her own - a frozen, stiff smile that had been genuine until a very recent, yet-to-be-processed moment of "oh. OH. Shit".

After another confused moment where only crying children broke the silence, the wizard finally cleared his throat. "... Ah. Pardon me." He seemed to recollect his senses, took off his hat, and gave Arlene a deep bow. "Welcome to the kingdom of [creative as heck name here], oh heroine of another worl-"
"I have-" she did a quick count, "-ten crying toddlers here. Quit your ridiculous heroine LARP crap, and explain this." Arlene huffed and bent down to pick up the girl who cried the loudest.
The wizard seemed the serious type and Arlene became aware that despite his perfectly stoic expression, little beads of sweat were forming on his brow.
"Like I said, this is the kingdom of [BEHOOOOOLD THE AUTHORS TRULY CREATIVE NAMING SENSE] and... one of you, or all of you.... were summoned here to save our continent from the demon invasion-"
Arlene sighed. "Forget it, I'm just going to find the park on my own then. Sorry for walking in on your... movie recording, whatever, I guess. Come on guys, lets go back." The kids, likely because they were scared, were docile, quieted down, and followed her obediently. Now when they all moved a little, she noticed they were standing on some sort of.. magic-y circle.

Yes, Arlene was of course deep down aware that this was all in the realm of impossibility, but she was chocked and still firmly lived in denial of the truth she had yet to accept.

"You have my apologies for our confusing summon, but allow us to prove it to you." said a deep authoritarian voice. There was something vaguely... compelling about it, and Arlene was surprised to find herself turning around to face the man on the throne. "All you need to do, is say the word [Status] out loud. That will dispel all your doubts."
"... [Status]?"
*PLING!*
A game-looking window suddenly appeared, floating in the air before Arlene.

Name: Arlene Smith
Class: Daycare worker
Level: 1
Skills: [Lead children] [diaper change] [calm emotional disturbance in children] [cleaning]

"... you're actually telling me I'm supposed to clear your demon mess with skills like 'diaper change'?" Arlene said, suddenly very tired.
"I... that's..." the wizard said, clearly working very hard to keep the awkwardness off his face. "The goddess of this would would never make a mistake in the summoned hero... could it be that the hero is... one of these children?"
"[Status]." said a child who had calmed down considerably.
"Well little one, what does it say?" said the wizard in his most fatherly tone. The child looked at the screen for a long time, as if with a profound insight beyond his four years of life.
"I can't read." he finally said.
"........"

-------------

Two months later, Arlene faced the final loli underling of the demon lord. After her toddlers finally wore the loli demons health down with skills like [Throw things] and [Screaming voice of piercing earbleeding], it was Arlenes turn. She felt like some sort of Pokémon trainer, but... "[Calm emotional disturbance in children]!" she yelled, activating the skill.

The loli was engulfed in a bright light nd fell down to her knees. "No... no....! Why did my father die!? Why did my mother abandon me?! What have I done..? How did I become so twisted to live for revenge for so long...!?!?!?!"
The magical light blinked once.... twice.... thrice.... *click*. "Gotcha! Wild loli has calmed down! Do you want to give a nickname to the calmed down loli?" A catchy little tune played in the background.

Arlene sighed and ignored the disembodied voice. This world was... very messed up. Her kids were good and quiet, handing each other health potions while Arlene sat down next to the twelve-year-old who was crying all the darkness of her heart out. She didn't speak, waiting for the girl to calm down. If that took hours, she couldn't blame her. The other loli/shota demon generals she'd 'captured' had similarly messed up backstories. She felt... wretched. She was truly making little daycare children witness scenes like this again and again? That in itself felt surreal, but there was only one way home. And she couldn't imagine how much their parents worried for their missing kids. What was even going to happen to her once they returned? Would she be arrested for child kidnapping? If she told the truth, no one would believe her, and her life would be over. Would they even return them to the same time and place? What if they got returned to, like, the medieval ages, or dumped into the ocean by mistake?

Maybe she should just keep the kids and stay here? Ah, hell. She didn't know at all.