Writing The Levitz Paradigm

kiplet

Paul Levitz has written a lot of superhero comics, and he has a neat trick for keeping track of multiple plots that's useful for anybody who's doing longform, episodic, serial work. This is how another comicbook writer describes it:
The writer has two, three, or even four plots going at once. The main plot—call it Plot A—occupies most of the pages and the characters’ energies. The secondary plot—Plot B—functions as a subplot. Plot C and Plot D, if any, are given minimum space and attention—a few panels. As Plot A concludes, Plot B is “promoted”; it becomes Plot A, and Plot C becomes Plot B, and so forth. Thus, there is a constant upward plot progression; each plot develops in interest and complexity as the year’s issues appear.
And this is one way to visualize it:
1529.gif

So each row is a plot, each column is a chapter or an episode or an issue or what-have-you, and you can keep track of how your characters are going to bounce along through each.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Paul Levitz has written a lot of superhero comics, and he has a neat trick for keeping track of multiple plots that's useful for anybody who's doing longform, episodic, serial work. This is how another comicbook writer describes it:

And this is one way to visualize it:
View attachment 12195
So each row is a plot, each column is a chapter or an episode or an issue or what-have-you, and you can keep track of how your characters are going to bounce along through each.
This is nice, one issue though, I would assume one plot for one major character and whatever that is his surrounding like the secondary characters and such. What happens when/ if these second characters cross streams with the other secondary characters of other plots.

Also, why are there big gaps in the subsequent plots?
I don't really like spreadsheets. I have no idea why, I just don't. Weird
Cuz it either looks messy or complicated?

kiplet

What happens when/ if these second characters cross streams with the other secondary characters of other plots.
You get a bigger piece of paper.
Also, why are there big gaps in the subsequent plots?
That grid's for comicbook issues, which tend to have a bit more room for plotting than webserial chapters: so plot 3, in that grid, is teased in the first issue, doesn't appear at all in the second issue, warms up in the third issue, and goes off in the fourth issue. A webserial would be a bit more intricate.

Here's an image of what I'm using at the moment, squished to hide any spoilers:

outline.png

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Beach episodes
Fillers you mean.
You get a bigger piece of paper.

That grid's for comicbook issues, which tend to have a bit more room for plotting than webserial chapters: so plot 3, in that grid, is teased in the first issue, doesn't appear at all in the second issue, warms up in the third issue, and goes off in the fourth issue. A webserial would be a bit more intricate.

Here's an image of what I'm using at the moment, squished to hide any spoilers:

View attachment 12196
It looks like my company's project chart.

I hate it.

Ps. Can the thing be more blurry? I can't even focus or zoom to it.

kiplet

Can the thing be more blurry? I can't even focus or zoom to it.
Spoilers! (—The rows are my main characters for the current run; the columns are chapbooks; the colors indicate that character will appear in that chapbook, and whether they're main or secondary.)

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Ah, the soul-crushing spirit of corporatism in a fun hobby that requires creativity! Isn't it lovely?
if i ever see you pull up ANY number crunching in a LitRPG fic, I will personally find it that your kneecaps get shattered, pounded to ash, and force snorted by an orphan in rwanda.

TotallyHuman

if i ever see you pull up ANY number crunching in a LitRPG fic, I will personally find it that your kneecaps get shattered, pounded to ash, and force snorted by an orphan in rwanda.
Sheesh, you need help?

TotallyHuman

i recall, your dick game was so weak she had to wheel you out of the hotel room and call for a replacement
So it was you in the closet? I thought it was your dad. Oh, sorry. I recall he is still buying milk

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Nice. But it isn't helpful to me. Despite what I wrote on my resume on a couple of occasions, I never quite mastered Excel.