Writing The mc freaking dies

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
Hello my fellow writers I wanted your advice on something and that's stakes for your mc most ppl will think that they'll be no way you raise the stake so high and you actually kill the mc but then you do kill the mc like you hinted you would from the start what do you do how will you address such a loss.
I usually have multiple mc's so killing one off isn't a big problem for me, but how will compensate this if let's say you have just one but side characters will you let one of them step up as the new mc and use something else as a stake since the audience will already know you can and will kill the mc in a heart beat so using tat as a stand isn't worth it anymore so what's your next stake?

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Screenshot_20210403_012109.jpg

I should also give a disclaimer that I HEAVILY disagree with the second final statement. I'm too tired to discuss it since I'm typing this in the wee hours of the morning but look at it another way: how much of a character has it been to the story that it could just continue without a hitch in their absence?

It's a balancing act. If the main character plays a small role within the plot of the story, so be it. Make sure it has a closed and complete arc to justify handing the torch to someone else. You can casually kill it for shock effect too, but the surprise is only just a spike. An incline or a steep climb; it is your choice after all.

Jakotheshadows

Pan the perspective to that of the villain. Show his satisfaction and what he plans to do next or just his reaction. it's usually jarring enough for a reader to develop a degree of fear towards the villain assuming there isn't already and then they'll have it in the back of their mind that it could happen again.
Don't immediately pick up with ur side characters. Focus on the antagonist first. Build some anticipation that way for them.

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
View attachment 7164

I should also give a disclaimer that I HEAVILY disagree with the second final statement. I'm too tired to discuss it since I'm typing this in the wee hours of the morning but look at it another way: how much of a character has it been to the story that it could just continue without a hitch in their absence?

It's a balancing act. If the main character plays a small role within the plot of the story, so be it. Make sure it has a closed and complete arc to justify handing the torch to someone else. You can casually kill it for shock effect too, but the surprise is only just a spike. An incline or a steep climb; it is your choice after all.
I didn't mean for shock value I actually meant for something casual killing like against the big bad before the final blow is stroke leaving them to be arogant and be killed by one of the mc comrade's leaving for one of them to be the new mc, everyone always likes a happy ending but I prefer a bad end or a bitter sweet one those are always more enjoyable since it not unrealistic and feels like it more real like things not going the mc's or the comrades way will seem more real to me.
O
Pan the perspective to that of the villain. Show his satisfaction and what he plans to do next or just his reaction. it's usually jarring enough for a reader to develop a degree of fear towards the villain assuming there isn't already and then they'll have it in the back of their mind that it could happen again.

Don't immediately pick up with ur side characters. Focus on the antagonist first. Build some anticipation that way for them.
Oh that's great but there has have something going for the villain or it won't interesting for everyone involved evil and scarry and character traits if they had a personality before hand or like had interests and goals or ppl in their lives that you can focus on then that'll be great