Writing Prompt The most OP, but absurdly crippling power granted to a character?

LilTV1155

What's the best OP and weakest power that you have ever bless and curse your character with?

***NOTES: Only 1 power/skill.
Powerful of all and weakest of all at the same time. Include side effects and why.

Can be hilarious as much you like.
I choose Warrior and give him Battlecry.
Battlecry raise Morales, boost Def, Atk, Rec, Spd

But Warrior must sing and dance to his unique songs
(Automatically chosen and played by skill - Battlecry).

The better the music, the better the boost effects and longer lasting effects.

Problem? Screw up on a note, chord and weaker boost effects. You will raise and summon immediate the aggro storms from all enemies and your allies annoyed and embarrassed by your bad performances.

Bad singing = RIP due to glass cannon effects + irritated people aggros + bad luck

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Power: Soul Cairn
Well, one of my characters has the power to open a gate to the realm of dead gods. She can summon them to do her bidding, and they are immortal while in the mortal realm. But the backlash is so great that it temporarily drives her insane at times. And destroys her body, too. She has barely any control over her power. So every time she uses it, she creates a potential apocalyptic scenario. :blob_blank:

LilTV1155

Power: Soul Cairn
Well, one of my characters has the power to open a gate to the realm of dead gods. She can summon them to do her bidding, and they are immortal while in the mortal realm. But the backlash is so great that it temporarily drives her insane at times. And destroys her body, too. She has barely any control over her power. So every time she uses it, she creates a potential apocalyptic scenario. :blob_blank:
Gods can die?

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
I haven't actually used it in a story yet, but I do have a Unique Skill that I feel works for this.

Defiance. Rejects or inverts absolutes. Essentially an anti-divine unique skill. Any OP HAX that should obliterate you just, do nothing. But it won't stop a grubby goblin with a club from caving your skull in. I did think of a way to improve it a little for general use instead of just hard countering cosmic entities. Specifically, applying it to status effects. So if you get poisoned, you either cure it instantly or are healed instead of harmed by it. Get cursed and instead of lowering your stats it buffs them. But that isn't the point of this thread, so the original version that only works to protect you from the big boys punching down is suitable.

Mysticant

Resident Ant
I gave my MC a sign-in gacha system. But then I made all of his rewards (be it good or bad) run through a public announcement system for the rest of the world to hear within a 20km radius. Aren't I a very nice person?

Afterwards, I actually gave him plot armour by granting him a talisman to summon a sun-like fireball that could probably wipe out the entire of China (in size). The caveat is that he would have to walk his way out of the barren wasteland once he uses the talisman( inside I written it as walking for 100 days with no signs of life). Once again, aren't I a very nice person? I do so many favours for my MC, he should thank me for being such a good granddaddy.

Last edited:

Jemini

Make him the Spy in Stratego.

Everyone can kill him if they try to initiate combat with him, even if they are the otherwise weakest unit on the battlefield. Meanwhile, if he tries to initiate battle with anyone other than the demon king, doing so will also kill him. However, if he attacks the demon king specifically, one hit kill on the demon king.

Also, the demon king can kill him as well if the demon king attacks first. This power only works if the person with this power attacks first.

darkpikacha

So here's my op skill. It's called Pure humility.
In order to get a power boost(2x in all stats)from Pure Humility. You obviously have to be humble to ALL people(even people coming to kill you). The power boost from Pure humility stacks each time you are humble to different person.

But if you ever break from your own Humility. The stacking power boost becomes a stacking weakness effect. This period of weakness is gone after x amount of days per stack of weakness.

Yamazaru

So my character has the ability to make any type of food, and is pretty much the best chef in the world, the side effect is that all of his food that tastes amazing looks awful, and all food that looks extremely appetizing tastes awful. And he has a "Ryuk-like" curse bothering him all the time. Its more downsides then up.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
This character isn't in my story yet, and I think describing their power wouldn't be too much of a spoiler for any readers in the forum. Let's call it the 'Eternal Ideal'. So basically they're immortal and cannot truly die, no matter what, even if their soul gets poofed from existence it'll come back somehow. However, each time they 'die' they reincarnate and gradually lose their memories of their previous life, only remembering to pain and joy that comes with it. The only thing they remember is that they have a goal to fulfill, but not how or what it is.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
A custom power just for this thread.

Immovable:
You cannot be harmed. You cannot be moved. You are Invulnerable, Invincible, Immortal, Unyielding... You move slower than a snail. A turtle could run circles around you. The water will evaporate before you can drink it. Birds will nest in your hair. Children will use you as a jungle gym. Enjoy being a weeping angel that gets the slow debuff even when you aren't being observed. Or maybe, you are observing yourself?

each time they 'die' they reincarnate and gradually lose their memories of their previous life
That's just normal reincarnation. :blob_shock:

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
That's just normal reincarnation. :blob_shock:
Technically they still have to complete whatever goal that was given to them as a result of their power, and they still remember all the emotions that came with their previous life, kinda works as a powerful instinct, especially when the reincarnations span millions of years. Also in my story no matter how powerful you are if your soul is weak AF you'll never reach the top hierarchy, so reincarnating so many times without being completely wiped makes you broken AF.(in more ways than one)
Edit:
there is a trigger to get all of the previous memories back.

Last edited:

Jemini

So here's my op skill. It's called Pure humility.
In order to get a power boost(2x in all stats)from Pure Humility. You obviously have to be humble to ALL people(even people coming to kill you). The power boost from Pure humility stacks each time you are humble to different person.

But if you ever break from your own Humility. The stacking power boost becomes a stacking weakness effect. This period of weakness is gone after x amount of days per stack of weakness.
Give this power to Gobuta from Reincarnated as a Slime.

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
Power: Big Man

Not so much a power as a status.

A 6'6" 300lb college linebacker type dude is big, and a little unusual, but not totally unheard of on Earth. He's big but he's not the biggest. Isekai him to a famtasy world where he's one of few purely human characters, and where "freakishly tall" for humans caps out at 5'10 (average around 5'2") and he's basically a half-giant without the drawbacks. All the physical strength of one, but also smart as a whip, unnaturally fast, and raised and educated better than any barbaric half giant. Comes with the added bonus of beinh thoroughly implacable: wounds just wash off him, spells are hit or miss, and he bounces back impossibly fast from illnesses.

The problem? Can't consciously use magic. At all..He's pure human in a world where basically everybody has an elven relative. And that elven blood allows them to conceptualize magic into spells. It acts as a link between their internal reservoir/magic and the outside world. He doesn't have that link. He doesn't absorb magic from his surroundings and cannot use it in a meaningful way (it mostly gets sucked up by his metabolism and gives him stat buffs). The only way for him to top off his reservoir is to have others fill it or to get hit with a spell. Most spells he just absorbs, he can't turn the power off.

He's overpowered in the sense that nobody comes close to his raw stats and the tiny spat of abilities that scale based off those.

He's cursed because he's the one physical fighter in a world dominated by magicians and wizards. In context, he has zero ability to handle the magical world as conceived. He has to tie his shoes with his fingers instead of an unseen servant. In that way he can be said to be powerless despite the fact he can punch clean through a man or outrun a horse. He can't throw a fireball.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Make him the Spy in Stratego.

Everyone can kill him if they try to initiate combat with him, even if they are the otherwise weakest unit on the battlefield. Meanwhile, if he tries to initiate battle with anyone other than the demon king, doing so will also kill him. However, if he attacks the demon king specifically, one hit kill on the demon king.

Also, the demon king can kill him as well if the demon king attacks first. This power only works if the person with this power attacks first.
You are playing Stratego wrong sir. The Spy can kill any unit on offense, not just the 10.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I have this character that is an absolute God. Like, a fucking Greek god type shit. He's immune to all magic, impervious to any system you throw at him, doesn't need to breathe, eating is just a fun pastime for him, he can enjoy a nice dip in lava, can lift mountains...

Really, he is what a five-year-old would think of when you mention the phrase "invincible superhero".

His flaw would be his crippling autism.

He isn't retarded. He's high-functioning, but just barely. He doesn't speak, wears a cardboard box on his head, and can't read/nor write. He can't read social cues for shit and is the kind of guy to asks for directions in a funeral. As I said, he can't speak, so he'd waltz into an ongoing burial and throw a map in front of the talking priest for answers, thinking he'd understand. He has the absolute ability to walk up to the demon lord and compress his body with his bare hands and use him as a basketball but he wouldn't. He doesn't care. He'd sooner use his ability to catch fish to eat than to save a child from a burning building.

That's not to say you can't make him do it. You CAN influence him to do something, like "hey, beat this guy up and we'll have chicken soup for dinner" type deal. It's a hard ordeal since you can't tell what the fuck he's thinking/wanting at the moment and as I said, mind-reading doesn't work on him, but if you luck out, he might do what you want in exchange for a turkey sandwich he's feeling at the moment.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
...I was thinking about Dr Manhatten and his super cool power of knowing everything and seeing the past, present and future at the same time.

Then sucking so much because what is the point? For those altruistic people, they might become the constant guiding force to humanity to do good but will always be remembered and hated for meddling in all the lives in the universe.

For those who are absolutely evil, becoming omnipotent is fun... for the first few years maybe as no one can even come close to beat you. You know what they don't know about, you have all the cheats and the odds are never in their favour unless you purposely set up the stage to see them fail. But for what purpose when you can already see their reaction in the future you give them? Does the joy comes from their pain and anguish which you can already foresee? What is the fun of finishing a puzzle when you already know what it is and how to do it? Is it fun to make an ikea furniture that you had (in a sense) already built or seen it built?

Tldr: omnipotent is a power and a curse of its own.