The most underrated fantasy/medieval weapon...

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date

sereminar

the mighty codpiece. so sadly underrepresented, while obviously being such a powerful weapon of intimidation :p

TheHelpfulFawn

A small animal that helps you with your groceries
Battleaxe or greataxe or just an ace in general.

JohnHKnight

Slings and slingshots. Ever since that business with David and Goliath in that really old fantasy book I haven't seen slings and that book isn't even medieval themed. How is a weapon that could kill a damn giant with one shot isn't more popular?

Schwab

I've seen quite a few characters using bows to start off, but they always seem to use it in an assassin style, hiding and sniping until they get stronger by which point they discard it in favour of 'stronger' or 'less cowardly' weapons. Which is kinda sad. A properly made bladed metal bow, or even just a weapon that can switch between double sided spear blade and bow would be absolutely amazing.
A bow is in no way cowardly. Have these idiots never seen Lord of the Rings? Those elves are epic, especially Legolas!

Schwab

Well I dont know about western stories, but I think there are many mc who use spear. Oh, iirc Randidly Ghosthound uses spear too.

The most underrated is flail mace imo. Axe is the second.
Uck. Randidly.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
A bow is in no way cowardly. Have these idiots never seen Lord of the Rings? Those elves are epic, especially Legolas!
Then there is a CN novel named "Silver Overlord" with MC using Bow and Spear. Fyi, the Bow is now more like a ballista

Last edited:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Staff and rapier
Unless the former is the golden staff from Sun Wukong, nah. While it is flexible and can be used as a blunt weapon like Donnie Yen's blind dude in Star Wars, its complete lack of proper killing power is what makes it a no no. His brother spear is more useful in that sense.

As for rapier, while it is rare for Main Characters to use it, most favored long swords and greatswords as though to compensate something, it is quite commonly used by many side characters as it is agile, light and punctures well.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Unless the former is the golden staff from Sun Wukong, nah. While it is flexible and can be used as a blunt weapon like Donnie Yen's blind dude in Star Wars, its complete lack of proper killing power is what makes it a no no. His brother spear is more useful in that sense.

As for rapier, while it is rare for Main Characters to use it, most favored long swords and greatswords as though to compensate something, it is quite commonly used by many side characters as it is agile, light and punctures well.
Staff is easier to manipulate and still cause serious damage to the opponent with just one hit, armoured or not.

Yes, people tried to use a rapier, but most of them are using it wrong in the sense that they aren't just sword but faster.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Staff is easier to manipulate and still cause serious damage to the opponent with just one hit, armoured or not.

Yes, people tried to use a rapier, but most of them are using it wrong in the sense that they aren't just sword but faster.
Indeed, concussions are no joke. Yet what makes them less favourite to their brother the spear is the lack of metal pointy bit. In medieval times, especially in the battlefield, you would want a weapon to kill instantly and easily retrieved. Kind of the reason why even though the war pick is a good weapon for armor piercing it is rare as they tend to get stuck. Spears have to have stoppers or wings to prevent overpenetration, a staff like mace can only use blunt force is less favourable.

Staffs inflict much pain, has good reach and it is somewhat easy to find and use. I agree.

Are they an immediate showstopper? To my sense, no. You can argue with the sling and concussions thing and it hurts when it hits. To be fair, when you are high on adrenaline, even if you are stabbed or cut open you can still shrug it off, the average amount of time in a melee where you can give a knockout, a spearman would have stabbed a few people in their throats and faces already.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Indeed, concussions are no joke. Yet what makes them less favourite to their brother the spear is the lack of metal pointy bit. In medieval times, especially in the battlefield, you would want a weapon to kill instantly and easily retrieved. Kind of the reason why even though the war pick is a good weapon for armor piercing it is rare as they tend to get stuck. Spears have to have stoppers or wings to prevent overpenetration, a staff like mace can only use blunt force is less favourable.

Staffs inflict much pain, has good reach and it is somewhat easy to find and use. I agree.

Are they an immediate showstopper? To my sense, no. You can argue with the sling and concussions thing and it hurts when it hits. To be fair, when you are high on adrenaline, even if you are stabbed or cut open you can still shrug it off, the average amount of time in a melee where you can give a knockout, a spearman would have stabbed a few people in their throats and faces already.
It has its use, specifically good against armoured targets (strangely non-existent in most fantasy novels). Spears are showstoppers for big unarmoured armies of peasants, but against skilful armoured knight, the staff has a better chance to win through attrition.

Also, adrenaline can't shrug off one good hit on the body. It can shrug off the pain, but the momentum will ruin your day.

ForestDweller

Slings and slingshots. Ever since that business with David and Goliath in that really old fantasy book I haven't seen slings and that book isn't even medieval themed. How is a weapon that could kill a damn giant with one shot isn't more popular?

In AOE2, there are slingers but they're only good vs infantry.

Chaaruzu_Corner

Young Senior Member
Well for me I'll use a weapon from my MC Morus's arsenal.

The War Scythe
images (2).jpeg

Look how badass that is. I like scythes, I think their cool but are overused. They are usually worn by like dark magic users and although Morus does use dark magic she ain't a necromancer but still kinda dark though so I still wanted a scythe. So I found this and yeah it looks cool :P

It's a scythe so there's the cool factor but is actually practical on combat xD and also since its fantasy there are two modes of Morus's scythe which the blade will turn vertical so it's a traditional scythe. It switches and stuff :P

There's also a secondary weapon I want to show but it ain't in the story yet so it's spoilery but let's just say it's in Egypt :3