The Not-So Evil "Evil"

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
Don't you just love tense scenes where the protagonist is about to encounter someone he believes to be evil, and it turns out that the guy isn't actually that bad? I know I do.

MrTiemos

DinoSir, thank you very much!
Like when the ‘villainous deed’ that was done was just a mistake/mismanagement on the part of the ‘villain’?

Mizu

I agree. It is fun when one has a good villain who is more complex than 'let me take over the world.' I wouldn't say I have a villain in my book. All the characters work for their goal but one isnt more or less evil than the other.

hueyhare

I agree. Some of my favorite characters are bad guys that turn out not to actually be bad guys. They're just broken, like everyone else. It definitely helps make your villains not look like Saturday morning cartoon villains too.

Kotohood

Noob Author
I agree.

Though on the contrary, I do like villains who you know are just bad but complex at the same time. It doesn't always have to be a grey area. Some people can be just bad cause that's just how they are.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
I love writing them because then I get to watch as dedicated readers struggle in understanding what is what in the mystery. And then they reread the entire story when they realize I left bread crumbs :)

Ninetailed_Furball

A surprisingly rare one that I personally enjoy is the middle management stoked up on too much coffee as they desperately try not to get fired, only making everything much, much worse :blob_popcorn:

That said, some of my favourites are the ones you get to discover their reasoning, and in their own twisted way, it all makes sense. Especially when rather than making any leaps in logic, you only need to start off with a slightly different moral compass.

Llamadragon

Aye... 'The way of the house husband' is pretty epic, too. It's about a man who keeps getting caught up in gag misunderstandings due to having been the former top dog of the local Yakuza until he married. Now he's just trying to be your every day DIY house hubby but he have some adaption struggles.

AaaaaaAAAAAnyways

The crimson dragon curled itself around its stone tower like a snake curls around a stick. The surrounding bramle walls were caught in flames nearly as high as the tower itself, crackling, snapping, steaming as it boiled the liquid out of the thorny plants, and the dragons eyes shone with an eerie, white glow - their gaze filled the knight with so much dread, that he thought that the devil who had created the beast must've used two coals from the very ember-beds of hell to give it sight.

His name was Sir Chrome Mithrilshield of the Unbreakable Spirit, and though the gaze of the beast made him take a step back, he was the finest knight the kingdom had seen in 200 years (in his head) and he would not back down here. He stared back at the dragon. It was quiet, unmoving. It behaved just like a snake, laying patiently in wait for its prey to come into its striking range. Sir Chrome Mithrilshield of the Unbreakable Spirit had to enter that very striking range, whether he liked it or not - the princess of the ancient times was waiting in that tower, forever sleeping until her resquer gave her a kiss. He could never fail a maiden whose beauty was so renowned it had gone down into fairytales, his pride as a knight could never allow it! ... what was that..? Favoritism towards a beauty? What, no, no way, Sir Chrome Mithrilshield of the Unbreakable Spirit was an honorable knight whose purpose was to protect members of the fairer gender everywhere. He simply could not abandon a woman in need like that. .... hm? All the lives of girls and women, whether children or elderly, he had helped thrown into poverty through the war effort he participated in? Hey, he was a knight, he had to follow the kings orders! .... eh? Why he couldn't just help them now, when the war was won, with all of his plentiful war spoi- ok, ok, ok, next subject. The point is, there was a terrible dragon, a fair knight, and an eternally sleeping princess, ok?

So, Sir Chrome Mithrilshield of the Unbreakable Spirit raised his mithril shield (*ahem*) and aimed his lance at the viper-like dragon. He commanded his horse to run faster, faster, and the dragon finally reacted! The winged beast slithered down the tower at an immense speed to meet its challenger, anticipating its challenger to attack it....!

... but Sir Chrome Mithrilshield of the Unbreakable Spirit wasn't as much of a moron as one might assume he- ok, ok, he was a moron, but he had seen people die this way before and it didn't look very nice. So he had come prepared. Just before he clashed with the dragon, he let go of the reigns of his horse, stabbed the tip of the lance into the ground, and.... "Enchantment of the Pole-Vaulter, activate!!!!!".... shouted the command to activate said enchantment. When he was at a suitable point in the pole-vaulting arch, the lance grew, and grew, and grew, until it was the height of the tower, and Sir Chrome Mithrilshield of the Unbreakable Spirit simply soared over the head of the dragon and ducked in through the tiny little tower window. Outside, the dragon gave a furious, terrible roar and clawed at the tower, but the window was too small for it to enter, and the structure too strong to break through. And so, Sir Chrome Mithrilshield of the Unbreakable Spirit quickly gave the sleeping princess a kiss to break the spell.

A wave of darkness erupted from the princess' sleeping body, no, it DEVOURED her, shrouded her, and a wave of invisivle force knocked Sir Chrome Mithrilshield of the Unbreakable Spirit off his feet and into the stone wall. As she arose, she no longer bore the visage of a fair maiden, but that of a shadow elemental. Sure, she looked sexy enough - that was some FINE frilly silk lingerie - and she stretched herself alluringly after her long rest before she looked at the knight who struggled to get up from hitting is head on the rock.
"Heh. Humans. I knew it, so desperate for a good princess rescue story that it was only a matter of time before one of you morons freed me from the seal." The shadowy woman spoke with a sneer. "Ah, don't worry. You might be an insignificant little insect, but... I think I'll give you a little reward, just because I'm so generous." She held out her hand and grabbed onto the invisible air. Darkness formed into a sword, which she was grabbing at the hilt. Then she tossed it against Sir Chrome Mithrilshield of the Unbreakable Spirit. "Why not take this blade, hm? It's extremely efficient against dragons. Something tells me that you're going to need it very soon.. ha ha ha, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!"

Her figure disappeared into another, much thicker layer of whispy darkness, and she shot through the ceiling like a laughing comet.

Sir Chrome Mithrilshield of the Unbreakable Spirit was of course not out of the woods yet. The shadow elemental had torn off the roof, and the dragon stared at him furiously, roaring with maddened anger. So he scrambled towards the blade. Something... very peculiar happened when he grasped the hilt. SOmething *clicked* inside his mind. The dragons roars became... ".... thousand years, A THOUSAND YEARS!!!! F*CKING ONE THOUSAND YEAR OLD INTEL!!!!!!! HOW OBVIOUS COULD IT BE THAT IT WAS NOT RELIABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

... those words belonged to the dragon. "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU'VE GONE AND F*CKING RELEASED UPON THE WORLD!? THE GODDESS OF THE F*CKING APOCALYPSE, THAT'S WHAT YOU'VE GONE AND F*CKING RELEASED UPON THE WORLD!!!!!!"

Thus began the legendary adventures of Sir Chrome Mithrilshield of the Unbreakable Spirit and Bob the dragon, as they chased down the goddess who had been sealed for a thousand years. It is a tale of epic fails, forbidden gay dragon/knight slow romance, and Sir Chrome Mithrilshield of the Unbreakable Spirits very slow progress from a total meathead into something resembling a respectable human being.

Last edited: