The Second Tempest Contest

Kisara

Hmm, if I use terms from DnD / Pathfinder and stuff like that, does it count as a link to an "existing world"?
Like Classes and Races, for exemple

CL

With all of these questions about what is or is not mainstream has me believing that was the not the best choice of a description for the theme (but it beats me on what would've been the correct choice of words). Right now I believe we may require a list of approved weapons to be more closely aware of what was intended. :blob_unsure:

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Probably? But it's a very niche concept, I think. The way I'd implement it would be closer to alchemy than magic, so I'm not sure.
Is alchemy a weapon, then?
Or is it what is used to make a weapon?
Example:
Alchemy makes a potion -> potion is thrown at enemy -> potion became the weapon
Alchemy makes a golem -> golem controlled to fight enemy -> golem is the weapon
But how would alchemy work for a hex/curse?
Isn't a weapon usually a physical thing?
^*genuine question*

Also, take what I say with a grain of salt since I'm not one of the organisers for this contest.

X

Or is it what is used to make a weapon?
Example:
Alchemy makes a potion -> potion is thrown at enemy -> potion became the weapon
Alchemy makes a golem -> golem controlled to fight enemy -> golem is the weapon
But how would alchemy work for a hex/curse?
Isn't a weapon usually a physical thing?
^*genuine question*

Also, take what I say with a grain of salt since I'm not one of the organisers for this contest.

X
Potions are a great example. Hexes/Curses would be crafted and applied on enemies. I was going for a more subtle effect, especially early on. Fatigue or headaches, for example.

I don't think a weapon has to be physical. Let's say a bard used his voice/instrument to influence someone to kill himself. Wouldn't words/music be considered a weapon in this scenario? They have a physical manifestation, yes, but they're not exactly tangible.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Potions are a great example. Hexes/Curses would be crafted and applied on enemies. I was going for a more subtle effect, especially early on. Fatigue or headaches, for example.

I don't think a weapon has to be physical. Let's say a bard used his voice/instrument to influence someone to kill himself. Wouldn't words/music be considered a weapon in this scenario? They have a physical manifestation, yes, but they're not exactly tangible.
I just thought the intent was for weapons to be considered physical.
@Alverost would have to clarify on that, I suppose.

X

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Is the artwork permission rule only for the novel cover? Can we use artworks in chapters to help readers get a reference for characters, weapons, locations etc.?
Novel covers, artwork for chapters doesn't require permission since it's referencing.
would body odor be considered a non-mainstream weapon?
Yes, it has to be his main way of attacking someone.
Do claws and fangs count as unconventional weapons for halfbreed mc?
I would say no.

Would hexes/curses be considered non-mainstream?
Yep.
If it's the main way of attacking then yes.

Last edited:

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Sex like would that count.

Succubi and succubis dra8n the life force of creatures they have sex with so

Armored99

Harem-phobic
For it not being based of an an existing story/world. What if a characters backstory is based off an obscure game that has no characters( Randomly generated npcs) or story(only a few bits of lore), and the game's world is also randomly generated?

Should the main character have his identity absolutely secret?
Is it okay if MC is the only one who uses the unconventional weapon?
@Alverost (sorry if tagging bothers you)

Last edited:

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Sex like would that count.

Succubi and succubis dra8n the life force of creatures they have sex with so
Depends on how you do it but if it's their only way of attacking then yes.

For it not being based of an an existing story/world. What if a characters backstory is based off an obscure game that has no characters( Randomly generated npcs) or story(only a few bits of lore), and the game's world is also randomly generated?
As long as the story itself is unique and doesn't rely on pre-existing world/character then it's fine.

Should the main character have his identity absolutely secret?
Is it okay if MC is the only one who uses the unconventional weapon?
It should be kept a secret to the public. For close members, it's up to you. And yes, the unconventional weapon only has to apply to the MC.

Zero300

i've another question. if i do a team of MCs and the leader of the team uses a sandal as a weapon but the other team members use conventional weapons, would this story still be valid?