The Second Tempest Contest

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
MainBannerV2.png

It's finally time, we are back with another contest to hopefully be a springboard for new and old authors to find their ground on this never-ending sea of stories. Unlike before, this contest will last 4 months! Starting from today, it will last till the 11th of November (00:01 AM GMT+7). Similar to the previous contests, all authors will have to follow at least one of the given themes. Before we get into the gritty details, a big thank you to all the sponsors!

Our lord, @Tony
The tentaacles, @Ace_Arriande
The wizard/cat @MelasD
The Isekaid Haremist @Saileri
And a generous anonymous donator!

InformationBanner.png

Well first of all, how do you enter? You upload a story onto ScribbleHub. Then proceed to your story dashboard, upon scrolling to the bottom you'll find the contest section. Select the contest tag to enter the contest.

Here are the following themes! Remember you only have to use at least one and if you are the devil incarnate then you can attempt to combine them!
  1. Non-mainstream weapons.
  2. Duality of a secret life (The MC live a normal and a secret life)
  3. Exploration of Space (Genre: Sci-fi)
The list to the contest entries: https://www.scribblehub.com/contest/second-tempest-contest/?sort=4&order=2&status=1

Here's the FAQ:
Q: Is it fine to post the story elsewhere after the competition ends?

A: Yes, you can post the story anywhere after the contest has concluded. However, the story will be disqualified if the story is posted on other platforms before the conclusion of the contest.

Q: Can I use an alternate/spin-off/fanfic of an existing story?

A: No, you can not. It must be an original story with no link to an existing story/world.

Q: What if I’ve written a story that fits the requirement but never posted it before?

A: Since there’s no way for us to check when you wrote the story, as long as you’ve never posted it anywhere else before, it is perfectly fine to use it as a contest entry.

Q: Can I post the story on Patreon to earn money from it during the contest? (Advanced chapters)

A: You can use advanced chapters. However, your story will solely be judged based on what you’ve posted on ScribbleHub!

Q: Can we get badges/titles?

A: This is currently not an available mean of giving out prize.

Q: Is there a max word count and can I submit more than once?

A: There is no max word count and yes you can submit more than once.

Q: Who would own the copyright to the story?

A: You authors will retain all the right to the story.

Q: Can I advertise the story?

A: Yes you definitely can!

RulesBanner.png

1. Has to be an original story, exclusive to SH for the duration of the contest.
  2. Series need to reach 40,000-word count by 11th of November (00:01 AM GMT+7).
  3. Have not been posted before the 10th of July.
  4. Must use at least one of the provided theme. (You must state the theme of your choice)
  5. Do not use stolen artwork for your story cover. (You must state the source of your art in the synopsis) - If no source is stated, your story will be removed from the contest.
  6. Using bots to increase your statistic will get you disqualified and blacklisted from future competitions.
  7. No Plagiarism
  8. Winner of this contest will not be awarded a prize for the next subsequent contest.
    1. Winners of the Scribbly Anniversary v2 contest can still participate in this contest but won’t be given a prize.
  9. Rules may be subject to change during the contest in the event of unforeseen attempts at manipulating it or circumventing the above rules.
More specific violations that attempt to undermine the spirit of the competition will be left to my discretion. For example, using a stolen cover for the duration of the contest as clickbait to gain more readers, and then switching to a non-stolen cover on the final day.

PrizesBanner.png

Once again, it's thanks to our generous sponsors that allows us to host these wodnerful contests! Our total prize pool is once again 525$. :blob_party:

Beside the monetary prize pool, Tony is giving the main category winner a 24 hour sticky on NovelUpdates!

Here's how the prizes are given out:

Main Category (Readers - Highest amount of Reader)
  1. $250 + NU Sticky
  2. $125
  3. $75
  4. $75
Now that the details are all aired out. Good luck and may the goddess of procrastination stay away!

Last edited:

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Ayyyyyyyyyyyyy. Can't wait for Theme 1 stuff.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
I guess non-mainstream would be a better term then. Or something like that. Too bad my whip MC is in the story published a year ago kek.

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
1. Can you be more specific for number 2? What I want to know is, what kind of secret life is secret? A V-Tuber? A Hero who returned from another world? A werewolf in disguise?
2. When you mentioned secret, is it okay if certain characters know about the MC's real identity?
3. Also, is there a tag I'm suposed to include when I write a series for a competition? Please excuse my ignorance as this is my first time in joining one

Last edited:

Konge

Two questions;

Firstly - Is a sword really 'unconventional'? and what would conventional/mainstream weapons be then?

Secondly - I have another story brewing in the works, but it isn't exactly molded after the first theme. But the protagonist (A brawler enhanced with fire magic) do use their fists as their main weapons. I don't know if that qualifies the story since the MC wasn't made with that theme specifically in mind. :blob_cookie:

D

Deleted member 45782

Fist, Sword, Spear, Bow, Guns, Axe
I'm confused bout unconventional. Those sound something like mainstream. Esp sword, guns.

So are these weapons that you mentioned would fall under theme 1 bc they're unconventional? Meaning they're not really mainstream?

SailusGebel

I'm confused bout unconventional. Those sound something like mainstream. Esp sword, guns.

So are these weapons that you mentioned would fall under theme 1 bc they're unconventional? Meaning they're not really mainstream?
Two questions;

Firstly - Is a sword really 'unconventional'? and what would conventional/mainstream weapons be then?

Secondly - I have another story brewing in the works, but it isn't exactly molded after the first theme. But the protagonist (A brawler enhanced with fire magic) do use their fists as their main weapons. I don't know if that qualifies the story since the MC wasn't made with that theme specifically in mind. :blob_cookie:
If I understood everything correctly, the listed weapons are banned.

D

Deleted member 45782

Ah I see. Thanks.
Curious and probably off topic. Ik we can use stories we have created before if we never posted it anywhere else as stated on faq, but does it count as we have written a story before if we only created the synopsis for a story but haven't written/published the chapters yet?

Sorry, if it's a dumb question. Thanks

Konge

Yeah, I guessed that to be the case. (That the question was probably misunderstood as what was asked to be define were unconventional weapons)

Still curious to know if fists are really considered mainstream weapons, or if any addition of magic to the brawler-mix and flaming fists (essentially changing the dynamic of the fighting style/weapons) would be within the bounds of the first theme or not. Would really hope so as then I can get started on writing. :blob_cookie:

SailusGebel

Yeah, I guessed that to be the case. (That the question was probably misunderstood as what was asked to be define were unconventional weapons)

Still curious to know if fists are really considered mainstream weapons, or if any addition of magic to the brawler-mix and flaming fist (essentially changing the dynamic of the fighting style/weapons) would be within the bounds of the first theme or not. Would really hope so as then I can get started on writing. :blob_cookie:
Fists are overused, as almost every friggin cultivator uses fists. Usually as a sub-weapon, still it's overused. And cultivators use a lot of different elemental qi, chi, inner energy, call it how you want.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member

Still curious to know if fists are really considered mainstream weapons, or if any addition of magic to the brawler-mix and flaming fists (essentially changing the dynamic of the fighting style/weapons) would be within the bounds of the first theme or not. Would really hope so as then I can get started on writing. :blob_cookie:
I would consider fist to still be mainstream.

Ah I see. Thanks.
Curious and probably off topic. Ik we can use stories we have created before if we never posted it anywhere else as stated on faq, but does it count as we have written a story before if we only created the synopsis for a story but haven't written/published the chapters yet?

Sorry, if it's a dumb question. Thanks
As long as it hasn't been published on any website then it's fine.

D

Deleted member 45782

By the way, guns in general are banned but if we made it specific like water gun, or laser beam gun then it would be okay since it doesn't fall in the lines of conventional right?

Thanks for answering all the questions. :blob_aww:

Is there a minimum or limit to story word count? Like can be a 1 chapter story?

Konge

I would consider fist to still be mainstream.

As long as it hasn't been published on any website then it's fine.
That's unfortunate.

Then I wonder, how about using summons?

Would they be considered weapons or not? Like using demons/spirits/undead-whatever to fight your fights, would that be within the bounds?

SailusGebel

By the way, guns in general are banned but if we made it specific like water gun, or laser beam gun then it would be okay since it doesn't fall in the lines of conventional right?

Thanks for answering all the questions. :blob_aww:

Is there a minimum or limit to story word count? Like can be a 1 chapter story?
Can't you read it above? I'm not trying to be an asshole, but c'mon. The rules are written above.