The Second Tempest Contest

GreenHexagon

Error: Forbidden
View attachment 8563
It's finally time, we are back with another contest to hopefully be a springboard for new and old authors to find their ground on this never-ending sea of stories. Unlike before, this contest will last 4 months! Starting from today, it will last till the 11th of November (00:01 AM GMT+7). Similar to the previous contests, all authors will have to follow at least one of the given themes. Before we get into the gritty details, a big thank you to all the sponsors!

Our lord, @Tony
The tentaacles, @Ace_Arriande
The wizard/cat @MelasD
The Isekaid Haremist @Saileri

View attachment 8564
Well first of all, how do you enter? You upload a story onto ScribbleHub. Then proceed to your story dashboard, upon scrolling to the bottom you'll find the contest section. Select the contest tag to enter the contest.

Here are the following themes! Remember you only have to use at least one and if you are the devil incarnate then you can attempt to combine them!
  1. Non-mainstream weapons.
  2. Duality of a secret life (The MC live a normal and a secret life)
  3. Exploration of Space (Genre: Sci-fi)
The list to the contest entries: https://www.scribblehub.com/contest/second-tempest-contest/

Here's the FAQ:
Q: Is it fine to post the story elsewhere after the competition ends?

A: Yes, you can post the story anywhere after the contest has concluded. However, the story will be disqualified if the story is posted on other platforms before the conclusion of the contest.

Q: Can I use an alternate/spin-off/fanfic of an existing story?

A: No, you can not. It must be an original story with no link to an existing story/world.

Q: What if I’ve written a story that fits the requirement but never posted it before?

A: Since there’s no way for us to check when you wrote the story, as long as you’ve never posted it anywhere else before, it is perfectly fine to use it as a contest entry.

Q: Can I post the story on Patreon to earn money from it during the contest? (Advanced chapters)

A: You can use advanced chapters. However, your story will solely be judged based on what you’ve posted on ScribbleHub!

Q: Can we get badges/titles?

A: This is currently not an available mean of giving out prize.

Q: Is there a max word count and can I submit more than once?

A: There is no max word count and yes you can submit more than once.

Q: Who would own the copyright to the story?

A: You authors will retain all the right to the story.

Q: Can I advertise the story?

A: Yes you definitely can!

View attachment 8566

1. Has to be an original story, exclusive to SH for the duration of the contest.
  2. Series need to reach 40,000-word count by 11th of November (00:01 AM GMT+7).
  3. Have not been posted before the 10th of July.
  4. Must use at least one of the provided theme. (You must state the theme of your choice)
  5. Do not use stolen artwork for your story cover. (You must state the source of your art in the synopsis) - If no source is stated, your story will be removed from the contest.
  6. Using bots to increase your statistic will get you disqualified and blacklisted from future competitions.
  7. No Plagiarism
  8. Rules may be subject to change during the contest in the event of unforeseen attempts at manipulating it or circumventing the above rules.
More specific violations that attempt to undermine the spirit of the competition will be left to my discretion. For example, using a stolen cover for the duration of the contest as clickbait to gain more readers, and then switching to a non-stolen cover on the final day.

View attachment 8567
Once again, it's thanks to our generous sponsors that allows us to host these wodnerful contests! Our total prize pool is once again 400$. :blob_party:

Beside the monetary prize pool, Tony is giving the main category winner a 24 hour sticky on NovelUpdates!

Here's how the prizes are given out:

Main Category (Readers - Highest amount of Reader)
  1. $200 + NU Sticky
  2. $100
  3. $50
  4. $50
Now that the details are all aired out. Good luck and may the goddess of procrastination stay away!
I would do the story I'm already writing here but uh.. Its not really new

Ritz

Confusion with Rule 5. So a story using other people's artworks is qualified, as long as the artists are credited in the synopsis?

GreenHexagon

Error: Forbidden
Confusion with Rule 5. So a story using other people's artworks is qualified, as long as the artists are credited in the synopsis?
I believe so? But you probably have to make sure you even have permission to use it with attribution (fancy word for giving credit). Usually if its creative commons you'll be fine

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I think I actually have a plot which kinda combines three of the genres needed in my story.

Theme 1's ideas are a bit stolen from the weapons used in a certain game... *Cough*DmC*Cough*

Theme 2's a bit vague but there was a fantasy story i had which could be transistion for theme 3 framework?

Theme 3 could be a bit difficult since I never really tackled much on that setting, despite being a bit of a science nerd.

The problem I have is the plot which could be a bit difficult since I don't really have a clear goal of the story. So, it is plausible but not really goal-oriented.

There's also a fact that I'm currently trying to break the mindset of a female protagonist and tackling on the lewd genre to which I could make it a story but I might still borrow a few ideas to my own work.... *Cough*DmC Again*Cough*

I-i swear that I'm not making a femme fatale who loves to make dirty jokes and her fighting style is similar to dante.

Slaynoir

Not if your story is set in France.

I also have a question, still on the "what qualifies as an unconventional weapon" theme. Would a sword that handles differently that the "conventional" sword count? E.G. something like a Dancing Sword from DnD.
I'd assume something you'd find like in a normal setting that you'd use as a weapon to kill with. So use something unusual basically that's nothing like a battle weapon, generally. My character uses a Demon Tongue as a weapon :P So something that you'd not consider a weapon on its own I suppose. Like a spork shooting toaster or something.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
As long as you have the artist approval and permission. Not just crediting.
Btw, what if some necromancer is a mountain of a man and raises dead(mostly bare skeletons and zombies) only to use them as disposable clubs\cudgels? Does it fall under the theme of non-mainstream weapons or not? :blob_hmm:
In that scenario, yes.
Sound like fantasy magic, but doesn't seem to follow Sci-Fi.
You only have to follow one of the given theme and not all 3.
Is it just Sci-Fi genre, can it includes horror?
As long as it has space exploration, it will be fine. You can include other elements.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
As long as you have the artist approval and permission. Not just crediting.

In that scenario, yes.

You only have to follow one of the given theme and not all 3.

As long as it has space exploration, it will be fine. You can include other elements.
Dude, what about Ai-chan's question? What is the scope of 'exploration'?

KyoruS

Does dagger, keris counts as unconventional weapon?

ALonelyParrot

Not that I will for certain, but can we join just for the heck of it?
(Also, are anthologies accepted?)

SailusGebel

Does dagger, keris counts as unconventional weapon?
I asked about daggers\knifes and was answered that it's okay to use them. I think if your particular keris isn't long enough to be dubbed shortsword, you are good.
I have a few questions regarding “originality” and other trivial things.

is it ok to be an inspired story?

also can it be gay?
Don't know the details of your first question. As for the second one, I believe yes. If I remember everything correctly, the last contest had lots of girls love novels. One of them even won the contest. But just in case, wait for an answer from the organizer.

Last edited: