The Second Tempest Contest

Slaynoir

Go for the gay! I participated with BL before but didn’t reach the min word count…

Weirdly enough my story has a BL subplot lol That and well, silly things. Like for example, a past life female witch hunter turned transgender demon that is secretly a corpse god with a fling for dead bodies. That he has a crush on the MC but no never mind that part. Right now in my story I'm mainly building the setting lol I don't even know anymore.

ZesshiLavi

Interesting, I am joining this one, guess I won't be gaming for a while.

Cyansi

Those are fine. But when it comes to halberd/glaives, it should be specific stated rather than just a stick with a blade.
About the non-mainstream weapon, since halberd or glaive is fine, then what about nagamaki? It's a katana with the blade and the handle at similar length. Think of it as longer than normal katana but not long enough for naginata. Also, does magic using origami count? Like paper shuriken and paper dragon (does that count as summon?)

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Wish someone answer my question :cry:
If your story uses the plot, character or theme of another story, otherwise known as fanfiction, it's against the rules. If your story requires the reader to also read another story, that's against the rules too, it has to be able to stand on its own without being tied to any other story.

If by inspired, you mean you read Anne Rice's books one day and decides you want to write a vampire story too, that is fine, as long as your story can't be identified as Anne Rice fanfiction.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I have a few questions regarding “originality” and other trivial things.

is it ok to be an inspired story?

also can it be gay?
Inspired is fine as long as you can retain the complete right to your story.

There are no rules against lgbt or any genre.
Can a shield count as a non mainstream weapon?
Yes
About the non-mainstream weapon, since halberd or glaive is fine, then what about nagamaki? It's a katana with the blade and the handle at similar length. Think of it as longer than normal katana but not long enough for naginata. Also, does magic using origami count? Like paper shuriken and paper dragon (does that count as summon?)
Yes
Then I wonder, how about using summons?
Going back to this question, it depends on what type of summoning, if it's just creature or beast then that's mainstream.

Howlwyn

Would using magic in a support style(not healing) fit non-mainstream weapons?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Wouldn’t that be an ability instead of a weapon?

MajorKerina

For the weapons thing can it be like a gun that’s alive and talks and drinks blood, like an organic weapon or is that not enough of a twist?

LilTV1155

For the weapons thing can it be like a gun that’s alive and talks and drinks blood, like an organic weapon or is that not enough of a twist?
No, according to the contest's rule: As long your mainstream weapon involves a gun or firearm, it's not considered unconventional.
Rather than magic, why not call it Esper / Psychic power since the story will be set in Sci-Fi setting with space explorations?
Inspired is fine as long as you can retain the complete right to your story.

There are no rules against lgbt or any genre.

Yes

Yes

Going back to this question, it depends on what type of summoning, if it's just creature or beast then that's mainstream.
I think we all should re-define what is considered conventional mainstream weapons that are prohibited in a Sci-Fi space world.
As far as I know are recognized as mainstream or standby weaponry elements:

Axe
Sword
Bow
Gun
Fist
Spear
Others: ?
----------
Are we talking about how a weapon resemble and function like one, or just happen to fall in the category?
Is it Pre-modern, martial art, or medieval categories of weapons? Please re-clarify.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_premodern_combat_weapons

I am getting a little confused because the restrictions are........ somewhat fuzzy in a way?

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

I am getting a little confused because the restrictions are........ somewhat fuzzy in a way
Same here. "Mainstream" can pretty apply to any firearm/bow and just about traditional weapon with a blade. Is a scythe mainstream because of it's common association with the grim reaper? What about ninja weapons like kunais and shrurikens? We may as well make a list of weapons that would, by this contest's standard, be classified as "mainstream," so that we're not all running around in circles trying to skirt around what is and isn't classified as mainstream weaponry.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
What is counted by non-mainstream, because crossbows are just rebranded bows
Brick fighting. They use brick to smash in their opponent’s heads

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Same here. "Mainstream" can pretty apply to any firearm/bow and just about traditional weapon with a blade. Is a scythe mainstream because of it's common association with the grim reaper? What about ninja weapons like kunais and shrurikens? We may as well make a list of weapons that would, by this contest's standard, be classified as "mainstream," so that we're not all running around in circles trying to skirt around what is and isn't classified as mainstream weaponry.
Perhaps make several premises for something to be considered non-mainstream? For example, Ai-chan suggests:
1. Not used in wars (real or fictional) - which means guns and swords are out
2. Not used in duels (real or fictional) - considering that there's a real duelling manual for scythes, that makes it mainstream
3. Not used in intentional murders or assassinations (real or fictional) - which means kerambit, poison fangs are out
4. Not traded as a weapon (real or fictional) - which means that poison is out

SailusGebel

No, according to the contest's rule: As long your mainstream weapon involves a gun or firearm, it's not considered unconventional.

Rather than magic, why not call it Esper / Psychic power since the story will be set in Sci-Fi setting with space explorations?

I think we all should re-define what is considered conventional mainstream weapons that are prohibited in a Sci-Fi space world.
As far as I know are recognized as mainstream or standby weaponry elements:

Axe
Sword
Bow
Gun
Fist
Spear
Others: ?
----------
Are we talking about how a weapon resemble and function like one, or just happen to fall in the category?
Is it Pre-modern, martial art, or medieval categories of weapons? Please re-clarify.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_premodern_combat_weapons

I am getting a little confused because the restrictions are........ somewhat fuzzy in a way?
Why even do this? Is it that important to focus your attention on the wording non-mainstream? I mean, the rules are simple, certain weapons are banned, that's it. If you don't like how it is phrased, well, it doesn't even matter that much. Play with words or phrase it in a different way, it won't change the fact that Fist, Sword, Spear, Bow, Guns, Axe are banned. Everything else you can use. If you aren't sure that a certain weapon is allowed, ask about it. For example, nagamaki was allowed if I'm not mistaken.

LilTV1155

Why even do this? Is it that important to focus your attention on the wording non-mainstream? I mean, the rules are simple, certain weapons are banned, that's it. If you don't like how it is phrased, well, it doesn't even matter that much. Play with words or phrase it in a different way, it won't change the fact that Fist, Sword, Spear, Bow, Guns, Axe are banned. Everything else you can use. If you aren't sure that a certain weapon is allowed, ask about it. For example, nagamaki was allowed if I'm not mistaken.
Because it is conflicting when similar questions are being asked especially whether a weapon can be used despite being from the Prohibited Weapon Type Category. So I want to be certain about it.

Dieter

the Writer
As long as you have the artist approval and permission. Not just crediting.

How do I prove that I got the artist's permission? Do I have to screencap the dms and send it to you? How do you verify it? Because the artist in question doesn't speak English.