THE THREE FEELINGS RULE OF XIANXIA NOVELS (with Infographic!)

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I'm surprised at how much of this is reasonable writing advice (in theory). There was plenty of it that I've seen being cited as bad writing advice though, so it's probably wise to think things through before blindly following it.
I don't have time to read this give me a tldr
The three rules are:
1: Stronger.
2: Kinder.
3: Wiser.

The MC should become stronger, either mentally or physically, as time passes.
The MC should act to help or protect others, either by default or as a result of personal growth.
The MC should gather new knowledge/experience, and apply that information to great effect against obstacles.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Huh.

I'm gonna Bookmark this. I see an opportunity to write a story deconstructing this.
I can clearly see you do enjoy this type of story.

I'm more interesting into WHY. Why does this story exist? What is the sociological background that created this sort of story archtype.

TheEldritchGod

Ask Chinese.
Exactly. You know how hard the chinese government has their people locked down. How is this sort of story approved? Why is it approved? You ever see a Chinese Zombie Story? Holy crap. Japan Zombie, the world goes to shit, but the adults all ie noble deaths trying to save the children. In America, a zombie outbreak, everyone grabs a gun and goes to town. But china? Every woman turns into an idiot or sells her body to survive while every man turns into a rapist. Like, the first HOUR of a zombie outbreak, society completely derails.

China is seriously black pilled.

Yet these types of stories about cultivation, seems out of place with the dark nihilism of chinese society. I'm wondering why.

SailusGebel

Exactly. You know how hard the chinese government has their people locked down. How is this sort of story approved? Why is it approved? You ever see a Chinese Zombie Story? Holy crap. Japan Zombie, the world goes to shit, but the adults all ie noble deaths trying to save the children. In America, a zombie outbreak, everyone grabs a gun and goes to town. But china? Every woman turns into an idiot or sells her body to survive while every man turns into a rapist. Like, the first HOUR of a zombie outbreak, society completely derails.

China is seriously black pilled.

Yet these types of stories about cultivation, seems out of place with the dark nihilism of chinese society. I'm wondering why.
:blob_unsure: Because not everything gets translated? I thought it was obvious.

TheEldritchGod

:blob_unsure: Because not everything gets translated? I thought it was obvious.
But not everything is allowed to be published. Yes, we only get a fraction, but the Government desides what is and is not published in the first place.

immortal1daoist

• COROLLARY 2 : SHOJO XIANXIA WOULD PROBABLY NEED A MODIFIED FORMULA
Xianxia is not a genre tailored for female readers, because women lack the craving for strength that men have.
ahem ahem "coughs"
well, I am a female and I have the exact craving for strength that men have.
You are insulting the female readers and female authors(I am one of the female authors)

SailusGebel

But not everything is allowed to be published. Yes, we only get a fraction, but the Government desides what is and is not published in the first place.
Why are you even mentioning that? How is it connected to anything you or I said before? Dude, even though you might go to jail if you write, for example, yaoi in China, in no way does this contradict the fact that there are a lot of untranslated works.

Also, your examples are wrong. There are Japanese stories where "Every woman turns into an idiot or sells her body to survive while every man turns into a rapist. Like, the first HOUR of a zombie outbreak, society completely derails." Not exactly like that, but the same idea. Dark(ish) fantasy or sci-fi exists everywhere. Cultivation isn't an exception. There are dark(ish) cultivation stories that use the tropes that OP mentioned.

Seeing how you couldn't come up with this yourself, I know that you will dismiss this and keep saying whatever you believe in. No need to reply to me because I will ignore your replies. I don't want to waste more of our time.

immortal1daoist

I'm surprised at how much of this is reasonable writing advice (in theory). There was plenty of it that I've seen being cited as bad writing advice though, so it's probably wise to think things through before blindly following it.

The three rules are:
1: Stronger.
2: Kinder.
3: Wiser.

The MC should become stronger, either mentally or physically, as time passes.
The MC should act to help or protect others, either by default or as a result of personal growth.
The MC should gather new knowledge/experience, and apply that information to great effect against obstacles.
This truth triumphs

TheEldritchGod

Why are you even mentioning that? How is it connected to anything you or I said before? Dude, even though you might go to jail if you write, for example, yaoi in China, in no way does this contradict the fact that there are a lot of untranslated works.

Also, your examples are wrong. There are Japanese stories where "Every woman turns into an idiot or sells her body to survive while every man turns into a rapist. Like, the first HOUR of a zombie outbreak, society completely derails." Not exactly like that, but the same idea. Dark(ish) fantasy or sci-fi exists everywhere. Cultivation isn't an exception. There are dark(ish) cultivation stories that use the tropes that OP mentioned.

Seeing how you couldn't come up with this yourself, I know that you will dismiss this and keep saying whatever you believe in. No need to reply to me because I will ignore your replies. I don't want to waste more of our time.

Uh... I've been working on a deconstruction of various manga genre. There are patterns to the stories based on the country of origin. As far as I can determine with China, the field is strangled by government censors. Certain types of stories get through, others do not. Basically every story that involves the end of the world has to include the theme that:

"YOUR FELLOW MEN WILL TURN ON YOU IN A HEART BEAT. YOU NEED THE GOVERNMENT TO KEEP YOU SAFE."

Which is why this particular genre, Xianxia strikes me as odd. It doesn't follow the same patterns that I have found reading most Chinese originated stories. That push for "trust the government" That echos in the background of everything they print.

The Japanese stories that follow that theme are following the Japanese HORROR conventions. Chinese Zombie outbreaks tend to be action adventures. Japanese are often straight up horror. Horror DOES have your fellow man turning on you, of course, but in Japan, not EVERYONE turns on each other. You get attempts to maintain order. You get cops heroically doing their duty and dying to the last man. The difference between Action-Adventure and Horror is like night and day. China does action-Adventure, Japan does horror. (These are generalities, of course. There will be exceptions.)

Japanese stories have this underlying theme that YOU have a duty to maintain society, which I find to be an interesting juxtapose to the "Only government can maintain society" that you get from Chinese titles that follow the same topic.

I have no idea where you get "Seeing how you couldn't come up with this yourself" as I do all my research myself. I wrote an encyclopedia once. 112 books. Took four years. I did it for the fun of it. I know my shit. The accusation that I just blindly accept someone else's opinion without researching it myself is false and shows bad faith on your part.

I don't really see why your claim that there are untranslated works I have not read has anything to do with invalidating my research or the patterns that I have seen by the many stories I have read. Furthermore, I ASK QUESTIONS OF PEOPLE WHO LIVED IN CHINA AND ASK THEM IF MY ASSUMPTIONS ARE CORRECT.

Do you live in China? No? Then I will assume the people who have lived there, and read the material in the original know more than you. You know, LIKE MY BROTHER. Yeah. I'm a Jew with an Adopted Brother who was an orphan from Asia. He's half chinese, Half Korean. He went and found his relatives when he became an adult. We try to be friendly. It's not always easy.

YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?

PeacefulMyst

In your heart~
No Fml or mc's sister has some heavenl defying nine yin body?

No sect that kidnaps the fml / sister?

No courting death?

No jade like beauty?

No 'You have killed my junior/senior brother/sister/ elder/ father/mother/ whatever the fuck else'?

This guide is invalid