The Trollers are learning

Hire me as a housemaid pls. I can cook too. Grilled bali chicken is one of my specialty XD
Unfortunately, there's no space for housemaid anymore:blob_neutral:.

Moreover, let's stop things here. follow the rules, this thread only for serious discussion :blob_okay:

AkalE

Oh no. They are coming after the 2 star ratings now! Ruuuuuunnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
Pfft. All these nigglets scared of rating bombings. Well Cup ain't scared. Cup say "Bring it on , bitch !"

For someone who already wrote before, it's not a strange occurrence. Trollers are everywhere.
But what if it's a newbie that just started to write his first series and place many hopes in it? MAYBE they won't continue writing or get depressed. Future famous SMUT/GL/BL authors may be destroyed.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
For someone who already wrote before, it's not a strange occurrence. Trollers are everywhere.
But what if it's a newbie that just started to write his first series and place many hopes in it? MAYBE they won't continue writing or get depressed. Future famous SMUT/GL/BL authors may be destroyed.
Their fault for being pussies in my book. I never have sympathy for people who cant take some shit. I admit bombings are seriously damaging to morale, but ...eh. still. There are proper ways to handle it. Getting all sad and quit writing ain't one of them

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
Their fault for being pussies in my book. I never have sympathy for people who cant take some shit. I admit bombings are seriously damaging to morale, but ...eh. still. There are proper ways to handle it. Getting all sad and quit writing ain't one of them
I agree that you must have a 'FUCK OFF' attitude on the internet and being sad and quitting weren't the best way to solve it. But everyone has a different approach how to solve a problem.

Back to the Topic~

I just want to say that people used to take *1 as a troll, then what about 2,3,4*? did they take it seriously? I want peoples who got 2* star-ed to not feeling down as maybe that's just a troller because 'something suspicious is happening underground' and I don't like it.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
From how the evolution goes, we can probably push them to 3*s and eventually just have a mass exodus of ratings as a concept and we all return to the stone age where arbitrary stars don't exist and we just rate shit according to engagement.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
From how the evolution goes, we can probably push them to 3*s and eventually just have a mass exodus of ratings as a concept and we all return to the stone age where arbitrary stars don't exist and we just rate shit according to engagement.
Or even further back where we rate something by how many times we do or don't knock someone over the head with our clubs.

I like to believe it is like an ancient fable, a legend, or an urban legend...

-
Long go, in the beginning, One-star-trolls did not exist, this agent of malice was not something in the minds of mortals. Not even the concept of giving out one star without reading floated in the minds of writers. The very concept of doing so, was so beyond imagination, it was inconceivable... and simply was not articulated... at all...

But one day... one day someone got a One-star... the original one-star that felt underserved, "why did it happen?", " I don't deserve this," the aspiring author thought.

But, a kind soul answered.

"Maybe... Maybe you... don't deserve it... Your story is at least a three-stars... maybe... maybe it was troll"

The thought, the idea sprouted wings. The author went to the community and called out, "This is wrong, this is injustices, we need to stomp out the trolls! And removed the one-stars that we don't deserve!"

Soldiers rallied under the new banner, a crusade against the perceived injustice! To save everyone, offer all those that ever felt slighted salvation!

But it was not so easy... how? They questioned? Where are they? If the one-star must be curbed, must the five-stars be reigned in as well? Where did the legitimacy begin and where did it end? More questions asked by crusaders and bystanders alike, and answers were in short supply.

As the fires of war diminished, war-bands scattered and returned to their work.. a solution was never found.

But something remained... a relic, remnant of the war

The idea remained.

The idea of a monster, the troll that stalks the community. It was the unseen boogeyman, the One-star demon. The feared S-rank subjugation target. it is a menace that haunts the foothill of the Hub, it lingers in the minds of all those that write.

Real or not, it was... in the air... it had spread and infected all those that know of it.

And even now, this demon, this idea that echos in the hearts of all... it would whisper, "Go' on" "Give a one-star", "You don't really like those tags do you?" "it'd be so easy" "who would know?"

Some knew of these words, these whispers, they knew also of the pain this action would wrough... many would resist, many find the idea abhorrent, and they would choose not to be a monster.

But as long as this idea exists... one day when the demon of the mind whispers...

someone...

will listen...

and they will answer with a whisper...

"One Star"

And that is how an idea made a monster breed...

Epsil

Can't get any stars, if you don't write a novel :blob_whistle_two:

Discount_Blade

Well obviously 5* reviews are entirely legitimate they should be taken very seriously. 1* reviews are trolls.
5 stars are given out waaaay to fucking liberally. You like it? 5 star it. A lot of the stories that get 1-stars probably don't deserve it. But I know damn well a large percentage of the stories that get 5's also don't deserve it. 5 stars are for excellence. I'm pretty sure "excellence" on SH is in extremely short supply. Their should be as many 5 stars as their should be 1, meaning their should be almost none of either. 2-4 stars should be the norm and far most common. If you complain about 1 stars than you should complain about 5 stars because BOTH are given out inappropriately. Everyone complains about 1 stars but no one says anything about the exorbitant amount of 5 stars given.

Because people's fragile ego's would be hurt if someone did. The way I see it, I don't agree with trolling, but I also don't agree with tossing 5's everywhere either. To me, get rid of the unnaturally stupid amount of 5 stars as well as the 1's. People aren't using either one appropriately. Trolls give 1 stars sure. But I think all these 5's are people blowing smoke up each other's asses for a petty morale boost.

I'm always amused at how everyone dances around that fact.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
5 stars are given out waaaay to fucking liberally. You like it? 5 star it. A lot of the stories that get 1-stars probably don't deserve it. But I know damn well a large percentage of the stories that get 5's also don't deserve it. 5 stars are for excellence. I'm pretty sure "excellence" on SH is in extremely short supply. Their should be as many 5 stars as their should be 1, meaning their should be almost none of either. 2-4 stars should be the norm and far most common. If you complain about 1 stars than you should complain about 5 stars because BOTH are given out inappropriately. Everyone complains about 1 stars but no one says anything about the exorbitant amount of 5 stars given.

Because people's fragile ego's would be hurt if someone did. The way I see it, I don't agree with trolling, but I also don't agree with tossing 5's everywhere either. To me, get rid of the unnaturally stupid amount of 5 stars as well as the 1's. People aren't using either one appropriately. Trolls give 1 stars sure. But I think all these 5's are people blowing smoke up each other's asses for a petty morale boost.

I'm always amused at how everyone dances around that fact.

Well the same could be said for any other rating right? Just because I was a little bit conservative in the amount of stars I gave someone, doesn't mean it's any less disingenuous. I guess it's up to the author to decide whether they want to take every review seriously, or assume all of them are fake. splitting it half and half is hypocritical.

Discount_Blade

Well the same could be said for any other rating right? Just because I was a little bit conservative in the amount of stars I gave someone, doesn't mean it's any less disingenuous. I guess it's up to the author to decide whether they want to take every review seriously, or assume all of them are fake. splitting it half and half is hypocritical.
no, 2, 3, and 4 stars would be the more genuine ratings because 1-star means utter shit and I can't imagine that many people here are all that bad, and 5 stars is equally disingenuous because I am very certain very few people here are genuinely good enough to get 5 stars because that means you are great. Like Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, Stephen King etc. You have mastered your own style of the craft. So no, 2's, 3's, and 4's are the more appropriate response.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
no, 2, 3, and 4 stars would be the more genuine ratings because 1-star means utter shit and I can't imagine that many people here are all that bad, and 5 stars is equally disingenuous because I am very certain very few people here are genuinely good enough to get 5 stars. So no, 2's, 3's, and 4's are the more appropriate response.

that's like saying someone who acts humble is more intelligent than the person who boasts how smart they are. Just because you act less interested or are less genuine, doesn't mean you're lying any less.

If you've got five stars, there's probably someone out there who really likes your work, and it's like totally throwing their praise away because someone who liked it less seems more truthful. Or if you choose to believe all the really high and low ratings are fake, it's like trusting a criminal because he acted less outwardly innocent than the other suspect. If you want to believe in reviews or not, that's your business, but it seems a little stupid to believe in some but not the others.

Anyway I don't want to turn this thread into an argument, so you can believe whatever you want, don't worry about what I think. Feel free to have the last laugh if you'd like :blob_cookie: