The Trollers are learning

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
that's like saying someone who acts humble is more intelligent than the person who boasts how smart they are. Just because you act less interested or are less genuine, doesn't mean you're lying any less.

If you've got five stars, there's probably someone out there who really likes your work, and it's like totally throwing their praise away because someone who liked it less seems more truthful. Or if you choose to believe all the really high and low ratings are fake, it's like trusting a criminal because he acted less outwardly innocent than the other suspect. If you want to believe in reviews or not, that's your business, but it seems a little stupid to believe in some but not the others.

Anyway I don't want to turn this thread into an argument, so you can believe whatever you want, don't worry about what I think. Feel free to have the last laugh if you'd like :blob_cookie:
Well then if someone really dislikes your work, then why can't they put a 1-star? 5 stars for really liking it is acceptable...so why not a 1 for disliking it? Why is one acceptable and not the other?

Discount_Blade

Yeah I agree, you shouldn't believe in one and not the other.

Yeah I agree. That's the problem. Get a 1-star and everyone is automatically up in arms with torches hunting for these trolls they may and may not exist in the first place. Give them a 5 though and you just might get a handjob.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
5 stars are given out waaaay to fucking liberally. You like it? 5 star it. A lot of the stories that get 1-stars probably don't deserve it. But I know damn well a large percentage of the stories that get 5's also don't deserve it. 5 stars are for excellence. I'm pretty sure "excellence" on SH is in extremely short supply. Their should be as many 5 stars as their should be 1, meaning their should be almost none of either. 2-4 stars should be the norm and far most common. If you complain about 1 stars than you should complain about 5 stars because BOTH are given out inappropriately. Everyone complains about 1 stars but no one says anything about the exorbitant amount of 5 stars given.

Because people's fragile ego's would be hurt if someone did. The way I see it, I don't agree with trolling, but I also don't agree with tossing 5's everywhere either. To me, get rid of the unnaturally stupid amount of 5 stars as well as the 1's. People aren't using either one appropriately. Trolls give 1 stars sure. But I think all these 5's are people blowing smoke up each other's asses for a petty morale boost.

I'm always amused at how everyone dances around that fact.
It's simple. People like the good stuff, and they don't want the bad stuff. That's why people like drugs, because it makes them feel good. That's why many frown upon BDSM, except for those who revel in it.

Just accept the fact that it's never gonna go anywhere. People WILL complain about one stars and the five stars will be turned a blind eye upon because in all honesty, it does no practical harm other than making your story seem artificially boosted, but who the fuck looks at the amount of reviews, eh?

The system is so deeply entwined and entrenched in the abundance of five stars that changing it would be changing the fundamentals of the rating system. Plus, just like the arguement on one stars, you might not know which is blind and which is genuine if you decide on act on it.

People tip toe around the subject because they don't really care. They like seeing a full 5 star rating, maybe a 4.8 to ""even"" out the playing field. They want the good shit to stay and the bad shit to go away.

If you ask me, I'd want the one stars to stay. It breaks the monotony of the constant 5 star jerk-off and levels out the playing field. Plus, it's fun to see people cry on the first one star they see. Call me a soggy tissue but whenever I see those guys I immediately think, "They're gonna quit in six months."

I've got 4 1*s in a row on my story and I'm god damn adorning them on my chest like a Boy Scout badge.

Discount_Blade

It's simple. People like the good stuff, and they don't want the bad stuff. That's why people like drugs, because it makes them feel good. That's why many frown upon BDSM, except for those who revel in it.

Just accept the fact that it's never gonna go anywhere. People WILL complain about one stars and the five stars will be turned a blind eye upon because in all honesty, it does no practical harm other than making your story seem artificially boosted, but who the fuck looks at the amount of reviews, eh?

The system is so deeply entwined and entrenched in the abundance of five stars that changing it would be changing the fundamentals of the rating system. Plus, just like the arguement on one stars, you might not know which is blind and which is genuine if you decide on act on it.

People tip toe around the subject because they don't really care. They like seeing a full 5 star rating, maybe a 4.8 to ""even"" out the playing field. They want the good shit to stay and the bad shit to go away.

If you ask me, I'd want the one stars to stay. It breaks the monotony of the constant 5 star jerk-off and levels out the playing field. Plus, it's fun to see people cry on the first one star they see. Call me a soggy tissue but whenever I see those guys I immediately think, "They're gonna quit in six months."

I've got 4 1*s in a row on my story and I'm god damn adorning them on my chest like a Boy Scout badge.
Oh yeah, I'm still waiting for that new update though dude. Screw that January mess and drop that chapter 12? How bout it?

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
I think there's nothing to be discussed in this shit. I made this just to let know that something strange going on since I saw so many Novels in Latest Update got 2 stars. I mean, I get it if they give 1/5 star but why a bunch of 2 stars just come out from anywhere. This isn't a whining thread, so stop discussing what you like/dislike you bunch of cunts.

So please don't reply to this anymore since it's getting out of the topic that just comes to the changing rating system
(FUCK YOU!.IF THE THREAD GOT LOCKED DON'T SPREAD OUT YOUR FUCKING EGOS TO SOMEWHERE ELSE)

M skin is too thick to receive all the 1* star bombs. But what about others? people who new to writing? can they resist it? are you sure they won't depressed and stopped writing?.

Last edited:

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
they evolved:blob_popcorn_two:
Im sort of new to scribble hub, so what do you mean by these trolls. Are they just people who come here only to randomly attack and ruin the ratings of novels?
Sometimes there are incidents where people unjustly give low star ratings to a bunch of novels, either because they hate a specific genre or because they wanna troll and hit whatever stories are on the front page.

When people notice those things happen, they notify the administrator of the site (Tony) and he investigates to see if the ratings seem legit or if it is an obvious troll attempt.

If he concludes that it is a troll attempt, the ratings given by the troll(s) are removed.
I like how everyone just unanimously agreed to refer to trolls as if they were a seperate species.
Reading Fluff, a 2 might be earned. Its real slow and whimsical, and seems to be based on the clishes many isekai/fantasy comedies is based on: cute, innocent MC being forced into Evil, without managing to say no. It's a consept repeated to a nausiating degree, and so far this story brings nothing new. The author is even "rebel" enough to use "--" instead of "-", ticking off every grammar nazi out there.

It seems every time someone dares being critical, its Trolling, deserving to be banned and forced to only read the phonebook for the rest of their lives. If you do manage to think twice, flame threads like this isn't much better.

Personally I'd rate Fluff as a 4, but thats my opinion.
Just dropping by to tell that my story is being rated 2* or 1* every Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday. I don't know if it's just coincidence, but I guess I'll have to live with it. (I don't want to say they're trolls even though I'm tempted too 😑)

NOT YOUR STUPID ego that thinks that you're right about changing the system or some shit.

BenJepheneT

Oh yeah, I'm still waiting for that new update though dude. Screw that January mess and drop that chapter 12? How bout it?
If you wanna know, I've been working consistently at a snail's pace to accommodate for my studies. So far, it's about 40% done, if that's any consolation.

I think there's nothing to be discussed in this shit. I made this just to let know that something strange going on since I saw so many Novels in Latest Update got 2 stars. I mean, I get it if they give 1/5 star but why a bunch of 2 stars just come out from anywhere. This isn't a whining thread, so stop discussing what you like/dislike you bunch of cunts.

So please don't reply to this anymore since it's getting out of the topic that just comes to the changing rating system
(FUCK YOU!.IF THE THREAD GOT LOCKED DON'T SPREAD OUT YOUR FUCKING EGOS TO SOMEWHERE ELSE)

M skin is too thick to receive all the 1* star bombs. But what about others? people who new to writing? can they resist it? are you sure they won't depressed and stopped writing?.
I mean, it's inevitable. What else are you gonna do about it? The conversation is just gonna wind up from talking about bad ratings to the rating system accomodating such bad behaviour to how the rating system can evolve to prevent such bad behaviours. Thanks for the heads-up, but you should've expected the conversation to derail like this anytime soon.

And as for the new writers, that's a bomb they're gonna have to learn to accept. Just as you can't please everyone, not everyone is gonna be a good boy and act civilized. It's bad, but that's how the world works.

I will say this with all honesty: if you can't take 1* bombs as of now, you probably won't make it far in your hobby. If you really want to stay in an environment where you'll never face unfair adversity, then I'd advise you to stay where you are, because good will isn't something you can expect from animals out there.

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
If you wanna know, I've been working consistently at a snail's pace to accommodate for my studies. So far, it's about 40% done, if that's any consolation.

I mean, it's inevitable. What else are you gonna do about it? The conversation is just gonna wind up from talking about bad ratings to the rating system accomodating such bad behaviour to how the rating system can evolve to prevent such bad behaviours. Thanks for the heads-up, but you should've expected the conversation to derail like this anytime soon.

And as for the new writers, that's a bomb they're gonna have to learn to accept. Just as you can't please everyone, not everyone is gonna be a good boy and act civilized. It's bad, but that's how the world works.

I will say this with all honesty: if you can't take 1* bombs as of now, you probably won't make it far in your hobby. If you really want to stay in an environment where you'll never face unfair adversity, then I'd advise you to stay where you are, because good will isn't something you can expect from animals out there.
It won't wind up if people just read the Forum rules. I mean it's a straight-up Hijack. They just want this thread to go back into the locked topics.

I get it if you want to have an argument since you think you're right (It's a Human Instinct) but enough is enough even Tony said it's enough. But someone actually wanking their ass ego up to the other thread and Hijack it into the other topics. Like bruh? cmon. The previous replies don't bring up that shit but you just derailed the topics, tell me if that's not on purpose.

People always said that 'Grown-Ups, It's inevitable, bla bla bla'. How about we first look at the mirror before saying that stupid generic basic argument. AS A GROWN UPS MAN YOU SHOULD READY TO FACE THE REALITY AND YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT THE RULES ARE BEFORE JUMPING INTO IT.

You're a grown-ups man and you didn't know what Enough is Enough mean? go suck you momma's milk or go back to her hole.

That's why our society is fucked up, this world is dying because people who just want to have fun without thinking the Rules/Consequences, thinks that what they do IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
STOP IT. If you want to have fun, have fun in the RIGHT PLACE WITH A PROPER ATTITUDE.

I'm usually a chill and happy-go-lucky man but this one just touched my bottom lines, just like how people love to play as a VICTIM. I really hate it.

I can tolerate if people spammed some emoticon like :blob_popcorn::blob_popcorn: or just send up some memes in the serious thread because it's fun and we're on the internet where our purpose to have fun. But to have fun, we first need to let down our ego and have fun in the RIGHT place and in the RIGHT time.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

It won't wind up if people just read the Forum rules. I mean it's a straight-up Hijack. They just want this thread to go back into the locked topics.

I get it if you want to have an argument since you think you're right (It's a Human Instinct) but enough is enough even Tony said it's enough. But someone actually wanking their ass ego up to the other thread and Hijack it into the other topics. Like bruh? cmon. The previous replies don't bring up that shit but you just derailed the topics, tell me if that's not on purpose.

People always said that 'Grown-Ups, It's inevitable, bla bla bla'. How about we first look at the mirror before saying that stupid generic basic argument. AS A GROWN UPS MAN YOU SHOULD READY TO FACE THE REALITY AND YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT THE RULES ARE BEFORE JUMPING INTO IT.

You're a grown-ups man and you didn't know what Enough is Enough mean? go suck you momma's milk or go back to her hole.

That's why our society is fucked up, this world is dying because people who just want to have fun without thinking the Rules/Consequences, thinks that what they do IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
STOP IT. If you want to have fun, have fun in the RIGHT PLACE WITH A PROPER ATTITUDE.

I'm usually a chill and happy-go-lucky man but this one just touched my bottom lines, just like how people love to play as a VICTIM. I really hate it.

I can tolerate if people spammed some emoticon like :blob_popcorn::blob_popcorn: or just send up some memes in the serious thread because it's fun and we're on the internet where our purpose to have fun. But to have fun, we first need to let down our ego and have fun in the RIGHT place and in the RIGHT time.
Hijack? It's an organic downward spiral that led to the conversation being had. You're talking about 1-2* reviews in a place where 1* reviews are commonly had along with recommendations to change it on a daily basis. It's inevitable that it'll go down this route. Say it all you like and want but crying about people being """grown-ups""" isn't helping either. It's gonna end up like this whether you like it or not regardless of what the rules say or what you think is acceptable. It will happen, it has happen, and it will happen again.

Unless you call Tony to shut down the thread or start a mass ban exodus on anyone not adhering to the rule, nothing's gonna change. Expecting people to NOT have a rating system conversation in a post about rampant 2*s is just childish. You can't expect the best out of everyone, so best to better yourself and prepare for the worst.

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
Hijack? It's an organic downward spiral that led to the conversation being had. You're talking about 1-2* reviews in a place where 1* reviews are commonly had along with recommendations to change it on a daily basis. It's inevitable that it'll go down this route. Say it all you like and want but crying about people being """grown-ups""" isn't helping either. It's gonna end up like this whether you like it or not regardless of what the rules say or what you think is acceptable. It will happen, it has happen, and it will happen again.

Unless you call Tony to shut down the thread or start a mass ban exodus on anyone not adhering to the rule, nothing's gonna change. Expecting people to NOT have a rating system conversation in a post about rampant 2*s is just childish. You can't expect the best out of everyone, so best to better yourself and prepare for the worst.
Like i told u it's not gonna end like this if people adhere by the rules and stick to the topics.

BenJepheneT

Like i told u it's not gonna end like this if people adhere by the rules and stick to the topics.
And time and time again, people don't. Hell, imagine if you start a bank and leave the money in the open air and get robbed. You wouldn't say, "It's won't gonna be like this if people follow the laws and regulation". You definitely have all the say in the matter, but what's been done has been done and will be done in the future, whether you like it or not.

Like I said, unless you call Tony or mass ban everyone, you're not getting results.

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
And time and time again, people don't. Hell, imagine if you start a bank and leave the money in the open air and get robbed. You wouldn't say, "It's won't gonna be like this if people follow the laws and regulation". You definitely have all the say in the matter, but what's been done has been done and will be done in the future, whether you like it or not.

Like I said, unless you call Tony or mass ban everyone, you're not getting results.
I'm not expecting anything really, the reason made

is to rant about him because what he did just touched my bottom line. He wants to change the system(I commend that) but the way he did it is wrong. Do I expect him to stop? NO FUCK. People won't stop doing something stupid on the Internet. I've been playing on the edge of the fucking cliffs that called the Internet for about 6 years. I knew how people act there, it's just getting my nerves what he says in the argument forums and what he did is like black and white.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
I'm not expecting anything really, the reason made is to rant about him because what he did just touched my bottom line. He wants to change the system(I commend that) but the way he did it is wrong. Do I expect him to stop? NO FUCK. People won't stop doing something stupid on the Internet. I've been playing on the edge of the fucking cliffs that called the Internet for about 6 years. I knew how people act there, it's just getting my nerves what he says in the argument forums and what he did is like black and white.
You keep saying someone wants to change the system and they've touched your bottom line? Who? Being all vague and ambiguous seems pretty stupid now after youve spent 3-4 previous posts calling people childish. Might as well quit the petty shit and say what you mean and to whom you mean it too. You've already forfeited the moral high ground you might've had.

Nanakawaichan

I just got 3 1 * rating and 1 2 * rating on my novel yesterday which I thought was weird. So I'll report it on @Tony to check it out.

Solstice1309

I just got 3 1 * rating and 1 2 * rating on my novel yesterday which I thought was weird. So I'll report it on Tony to check it out.

It was the same for me... I suddenly woke up to see a 1 star on my novel which shocked me awake. I’ve already reported it to @Tony to look into it

Discount_Blade

It was the same for me... I suddenly woke up to see a 1 star on my novel which shocked me awake. I’ve already reported it to @Tony to look into it
In your case, you only have 4 ratings altogether so in your case there isn't anything strange about getting a 1-star. Plus your not in the upper rankings so it's not someone trying to drop your ranking. So....this seems more like you just don't like the 1-star and so you want to believe its a troll more than it potentially being one. Plenty of people leave a rating but never comment or review.

But *shrug*

I think people people are abusing the word troll and its become a catch-all term for those we disagree with. Nearly everyone in this thread makes me roll my eyes when they blame every 1-star on trolls.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
In your case, you only have 4 ratings altogether so in your case there isn't anything strange about getting a 1-star. Plus your not in the upper rankings so it's not someone trying to drop your ranking. So....this seems more like you just don't like the 1-star and so you want to believe its a troll more than it potentially being one. Plenty of people leave a rating but never comment or review.

But *shrug*

I think people people are abusing the word troll and its become a catch-all term for those we disagree with. Nearly everyone in this thread makes me roll my eyes when they blame every 1-star on trolls.
Tbf, there some instances where basically everything in the front page got 1*, so... It's not without precedents.

... But well, we don't really have any way of knowing if the rating is legit or not. I personally stopped caring for 1* when I got one in my novel and was like... "Wait, was it really that bad...?"

Then I realized if the person really cared, they'd have left a review explaining why they hated my novel... Since they didn't, I just assumed it was left on a whim and moved on.

Schwab

It seems every time someone dares being critical, its Trolling, deserving to be banned and forced to only read the phonebook for the rest of their lives. If you do manage to think twice, flame threads like this isn't much better.
To think everybody who gives a low rating is a troll is so egotistical and overconfident. Sometimes your crap really is just a 2-star work of fiction.