The twenty-thousand word chapter.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

I'm amazed that I took some time off from this forum, and when I returned no one else had posted a chapter discussion thread here. Personally, my theory is that, whether the people here realize it or not, this forum might not be a very fun place to hang out and chat. I know that I certainly didn't feel encouraged to contribute to discussion, and I feel as though people simply view these forums as a place to promote their work or pass judgment on the works of others. I'm sure there are exceptions, there are friendly chats going on, and there are fun threads. But, in general, I don't think that this section of the site has a particularly inviting atmosphere, and I think that the sooner that gets acknowledged, the sooner that we can work to change that with introspection.

But, anyways, this is THE chapter, the mammoth chapter, the most controversial chapter in my story. If you thought that the previous chapters with 10000+ word lengths were too much, when I'm sure most people would say that 500-4000 should be the ideal length of a chapter, then you'll find this chapter offensive in many ways. The entire story is strange, and definitely not anything like what you're used to reading, or expecting to read. This chapter isn't really anything special within the story, aside from having the death of a major character, and being so exceptionally long. Only one chapter really comes close to it, at 18000 words, but that number isn't quite as eye-catching. So, I decided to post a few more chapters for the few readers I have not from this forum before I posted it here.

Yeah, uh, if you can't tell, I'm quite stoned. Bye! I'll post again when I post another chapter, or I might not post at all. We'll see.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Damn nice, how long did it take you to complete it?

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

Damn nice, how long did it take you to complete it?

I don't remember. I think that this one took me about a month to write, and a fair amount of time to edit (probably about 3-6 days). This one was longer than a normal chapter in the story because I essentially wrote two chapters, then combined them. I wrote a short story to be placed into the chapter (the character this chapter focuses on is an amateur writer), then I wrote the chapter as normal.

I also edited it twice, the first time while stoned the second time sober. I'll show you the Docs version of my 'stoned' edit. It isn't pretty, and it gets weirdly personal at some points. Plus, for some reason, I copy-pasted the same rough draft twice under different chapter names.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Yeah, uh, if you can't tell, I'm quite stoned. Bye! I'll post again when I post another chapter, or I might not post at all. We'll see.

Write drunk; edit sober. . . . unless you're pregnant. Then you have to do the writing sober too.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I'm Irish. Getting drunk, writing weird, depressing stories, and dying alone and depressed is what we do.
Half irish half cherokee. Both of my races are known drinkers. I feel you. And as for this place not being welcoming, this place is like any society. The moment you go against the norm, things become difficult. My advice? Be like me, give no fucks about what someone does or doesn't like here.
Also @BenJepheneT thanks for the mention dude. Good looking out

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

Half irish half cherokee. Both of my races are known drinkers. I feel you. And as for this place not being welcoming, this place is like any society. The moment you go against the norm, things become difficult. My advice? Be like me, give no fucks about what someone does or doesn't like here.
Also @BenJepheneT thanks for the mention dude. Good looking out

I didn't say it wasn't welcoming, what I said was that the forum culture is toxic in a way that I don't think people are aware of because it seems to be based on narcissism. Like, in your comment here, for instance, you claiming: "Be like me, give no fucks about what someone does or doesn't like here," is rooted in narcissism.

I feel as though people are only on these forums to promote themselves or boost themselves up by acting as an authority in some capacity. I get it, the most popular genre on the site is fantasy, and there's a fair amount of sex stuff here, as well as harem stuff. That's a pretty clear indication of using writing as a form of escapism. If your life sucks, you'll write a fantasy story about a magical land where things don't suck (or are far worse than your current reality to reflect your feelings about your state in life) with a self-insert who everyone loves (or hates, for the same reason I mentioned previously).

I mean, that's fine, but it isn't healthy, and on other forum sites for writers people tend to recognize that and call it out. They also recognize the need for a writing forum to be about, well, things aside from writing. Like, when the Wattpad forums were up, there was a designated section for promotion, and most of the threads were about talking about your favorite cartoons or tv shows or favorite foods.

Like, take the comments in my chapter posts here. No one ever talked about my story because no one here read it. The only time I ever really got comments was when I had a title like "Everyone hates this chapter," or "This chapter has 20000 words," and even then the comments were never about the chapters. They were always about the details in my spiels ("OMG! How did you write 20000 words in one chapter," "I guess I can grant you some of my valuable time and wisdom to tell you why your chapter sucks," "Lol, I'm not going to read your story, but I'm sure it's great. Keep writing!")

I know that things will become different eventually as more users are added. This site is still pretty young, and I think that in a couple of years the forum culture will become drastically different. But, at the moment, it kind of sucks, and I feel as though the users should make the necessary changes to their attitudes, and to the forums, as soon as possible or they will be pushed out of the forums when that shift happens. Sort of like how Youtube comments in like 2012 were all about promoting their channels, and when a massive attitude shift happened on the site, those comments became taboo.

Just my two cents.

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
I didn't say it wasn't welcoming, what I said was that the forum culture is toxic in a way that I don't think people are aware of because it seems to be based on narcissism. Like, in your comment here, for instance, you claiming: "Be like me, give no fucks about what someone does or doesn't like here," is rooted in narcissism.

I feel as though people are only on these forums to promote themselves or boost themselves up by acting as an authority in some capacity. I get it, the most popular genre on the site is fantasy, and there's a fair amount of sex stuff here, as well as harem stuff. That's a pretty clear indication of using writing as a form of escapism. If your life sucks, you'll write a fantasy story about a magical land where things don't suck (or are far worse than your current reality to reflect your feelings about your state in life) with a self-insert who everyone loves (or hates, for the same reason I mentioned previously).

I mean, that's fine, but it isn't healthy, and on other forum sites for writers people tend to recognize that and call it out. They also recognize the need for a writing forum to be about, well, things aside from writing. Like, when the Wattpad forums were up, there was a designated section for promotion, and most of the threads were about talking about your favorite cartoons or tv shows or favorite foods.

Like, take the comments in my chapter posts here. No one ever talked about my story because no one here read it. The only time I ever really got comments was when I had a title like "Everyone hates this chapter," or "This chapter has 20000 words," and even then the comments were never about the chapters. They were always about the details in my spiels ("OMG! How did you write 20000 words in one chapter," "I guess I can grant you some of my valuable time and wisdom to tell you why your chapter sucks," "Lol, I'm not going to read your story, but I'm sure it's great. Keep writing!")

I know that things will become different eventually as more users are added. This site is still pretty young, and I think that in a couple of years the forum culture will become drastically different. But, at the moment, it kind of sucks, and I feel as though the users should make the necessary changes to their attitudes, and to the forums, as soon as possible or they will be pushed out of the forums when that shift happens. Sort of like how Youtube comments in like 2012 were all about promoting their channels, and when a massive attitude shift happened on the site, those comments became taboo.

Just my two cents.
You're like @Assurbanipal_II back in the day i was a lurker.Ranting about something won't fix it (but it'll let your stressed mind out).

'Should've learned the system first before jumping into it'.

Last edited:

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off

Just my two cents.
Saying no fucks given isn't narcissism unless underneath a specific context, which I did not display. If I had said it to gain attention and then commented further trying to clarify than yes it could have been misconstrued as narcissism. I meant it in a very literal way.
In all actuality, the way you post and the language you use is far more narcissistic than what I'm seeing in response posts to you by others. In fact, you seem to try to come off detached and above it, but you are just as guilty as the forums you call toxic. I was thinking that maybe you had gotten off on the wrong foot with a few people, but no I can see how you did it to yourself. At least I'm upfront with my abrasiveness. You are trying to conceal an undeserved superiority complex or something similar to that behind a thin veil of shallow observations and a weirdly vague and confusing persecution attitude. It's pretty dishonest of you.

Razzle-Dazzle

what I said was that the forum culture is toxic in a way that I don't think people are aware of because it seems to be based on narcissism

Let's set that aside for the moment. But since you kindly shared your opinion, I will share mine.
--

You wish that this forum to be a culture that
recognize the need for a writing forum to be about, well, things aside from writing
So people would be:
talking about your favorite cartoons or tv shows or favorite foods
But at the same time, you are unhappy that people are not talking about your writing.
Like, take the comments in my chapter posts here. No one ever talked about my story because no one here read it. The only time I ever really got comments was when I had a title like "Everyone hates this chapter," or "This chapter has 20000 words," and even then the comments were never about the chapters.
at the moment, it kind of sucks
--

Which is fine, these are the things you as an individual desires. And I am in no way hoping you'd agree with me, since you are you.

I am of the view that if a person desires a change in culture, asking for it and making a rant about it will be hard press to gain any traction. If you do not live a life that you wish others would be, you'd struggle to convince others.

If you wish more people would talk about food, games and movies, start threads doing such.

If you wish for more people, to read and give feedback on your book, go and read people's works and engage in conversations about other people's passions.

Culture is cultivated by many and slowly. Not demanded in rants about what you want. The world often ignores the screams of a petulant child, that demands, feel entitled while offering nothing in return.

And if you are hoping that this forum is not simply
a place to promote their work or pass judgment on the works of others
Then perhaps, the majority of your threads should not just be ones promoting your book with chapters framed in horribly misguided clickbait titles. And perhaps the other threads you posted, should not have been rants that pass judgement on others.

Just my two cents.

I believe...
Try to be the things you want to see.
Or
paint the room black,
turn the lights out,
and
complain that it's too dark.

That's what I think...
Today at least

But what do I know? I am just a reader, not a writer

Stratothrax

20,000 words is pretty bonkers and then I look over at The Wandering Inn author who regularly writes 20,000 words twice per week, no joke.

I don't get it either. How...

Cool chapter, I like the dragon, the owo speak is funny, although it seems like there is many chapters in one chapter here, i'm not sure its beneficial to do that because its taking away the ability for someone to fav and bookmark where they read to and also misses out on the chance to be on the new chapter tab of the front page several times. My two cents anyway.

thedude3445

I did a "CYOA" adventure game once as a chapter in my web serial and it was about 12,000 words long; my goal was to make a single chapter longer than that one 40-page chapter in Bakemonogatari and barely succeeded.

Generally, though, I would be so angry to read a 20,000 word chapter, because there is no way I am getting through that in one sitting and I would lose my place so many times. Splitting it up is the best way to keep ease of access for readers. If not by chapter splitting, at least by large subheadings to serve as landmarks for the eye for readers who have to take a while to read it.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
Like, take the comments in my chapter posts here. No one ever talked about my story because no one here read it. The only time I ever really got comments was when I had a title like "Everyone hates this chapter," or "This chapter has 20000 words,"
Not quite sure how I ended up here, but after skimming through I just want to say, in my experience, most of the discussion about the stories themselves seem to happen on the main site, like in my story there have been several comments and I've chatted with a few people there about aspects of the story.

As far as writing discussion on the forum goes, I've mainly hung out in the Author forums and I've seen lots of discussion about writing and people asking or advice and various things. That was what many of my first posts were in fact.

There is also the fact, not everyone who would comment can read everything they would like to, I have a huge backlog already. It's likely you're only going to realistically receive comments from either very passionate people or very upset people, that's just how humanity is, unfortunately, we're often driven to action by strong emotions.

They also recognize the need for a writing forum to be about, well, things aside from writing.
...and most of the threads were about talking about your favorite cartoons or tv shows or favorite foods.

The lighthearted stuff seems to take place randomly spread around as far as I've been able to tell in the few weeks I've been here. There seems to be a lot of chatter on profiles too, way more than I've seen on other forums if they even had profiles to comment on. Not like I've been posting silly things on people's profiles when I mean to be writing. :blob_whistle:

Erios909

Not quite sure how I ended up here, but after skimming through I just want to say, in my experience, most of the discussion about the stories themselves seem to happen on the main site, like in my story there have been several comments and I've chatted with a few people there about aspects of the story.

As far as writing discussion on the forum goes, I've mainly hung out in the Author forums and I've seen lots of discussion about writing and people asking or advice and various things. That was what many of my first posts were in fact.

There is also the fact, not everyone who would comment can read everything they would like to, I have a huge backlog already. It's likely you're only going to realistically receive comments from either very passionate people or very upset people, that's just how humanity is, unfortunately, we're often driven to action by strong emotions.

The lighthearted stuff seems to take place randomly spread around as far as I've been able to tell in the few weeks I've been here. There seems to be a lot of chatter on profiles too, way more than I've seen on other forums if they even had profiles to comment on. Not like I've been posting silly things on people's profiles when I mean to be writing. :blob_whistle:

This thread is too dark for someone as cute as you.

Hurry off to writing again before the darkness reaches and infects you!

We can't live without your cuteness.

Let's set that aside for the moment. But since you kindly shared your opinion, I will share mine.
--

You wish that this forum to be a culture that

So people would be:

But at the same time, you are unhappy that people are not talking about your writing.

--

Which is fine, these are the things you as an individual desires. And I am in no way hoping you'd agree with me, since you are you.

I am of the view that if a person desires a change in culture, asking for it and making a rant about it will be hard press to gain any traction. If you do not live a life that you wish others would be, you'd struggle to convince others.

If you wish more people would talk about food, games and movies, start threads doing such.

If you wish for more people, to read and give feedback on your book, go and read people's works and engage in conversations about other people's passions.

Culture is cultivated by many and slowly. Not demanded in rants about what you want. The world often ignores the screams of a petulant child, that demands, feel entitled while offering nothing in return.

And if you are hoping that this forum is not simply

Then perhaps, the majority of your threads should not just be ones promoting your book with chapters framed in horribly misguided clickbait titles. And perhaps the other threads you posted, should not have been rants that pass judgement on others.

Just my two cents.

I believe...
Try to be the things you want to see.
Or
paint the room black,
turn the lights out,
and
complain that it's too dark.

That's what I think...
Today at least

But what do I know? I am just a reader, not a writer

Thank you. I won't need to type a reply now! Instead, I can go to work on my two 2000 word chapters for the week. :blob_whistle:

deltanz

Vanguard Squad
Right now in my writing, i never could see myself doing 20k word chapters unless its something that would require that many in one or two chapters occasionally if i don't or can't split it up.