The typical [drought of a writer's motivation] cry for help

SailusGebel

I'm not taking it. I say that the people who get a lot of money from patreon aren't be posting everyday. There will of course be different people, but I think that if someone is good enough to earn that money, they will care not about the amount of work they are publishing, but its quality, so that the readers they have won't go away.

Now that might by my very skewed opinion, but people who post everyday mostly don't care about the quality of their work, but only make sure it attracts readers and "care" about them in almost obsessive way. There are of course exceptions to that, but it is very, and I mean very hard, to find a story of good quality with a chapter posted every single day that has a lot of paid viewers. Most people who read those stories don't spend money on reading, at least not those stories.
Ever heard of webnovel?

LilRora

Mostly formless
Ever heard of webnovel?
:blob_unamused:

I did. Can't say their quality is good, at least not in terms of how they are written. Webnovels usually have at most good grammar, suffer from bad pacing, and are terribly long. They are designed to attract readers and offer them a fun pastime, not make a beautiful story with deeper meaning.

I am talking mostly about the stories you can find on SCH, and to my knowledge they are not webnovels.

Also, ekhm...
Now that might by my very skewed opinion
I tried reading webnovels. I tried. Out of hundreds, there were maybe five that really hooked me and I read then till the end. I dropped most because they were dragged out into something most slife of life stories can't match.

Last edited:

SailusGebel

:blob_unamused:

I did. Can't say their quality is good, at least not in terms of how they are written. Webnovels usually have at most good grammar, suffer from bad pacing, and are terribly long. They are designed to attract readers and offer them a fun pastime, not make a beautiful story with deeper meaning.

I am talking mostly about the stories you can find on SCH, and to my knowledge they are not webnovels.

Also, ekhm...

I tried reading webnovels. I tried. Out of hundreds, there were maybe five that really hooked me and I read then till the end.
You said people who get a lot of money from writing tend to focus on quality. I pointed out a whole site that focuses on quantity to get the money. It was an answer to you not agreeing with JayDirex. Yeah, Webnovel isn't Patreon, but in both cases, you earn money via writing.

LilRora

Mostly formless
You said people who get a lot of money from writing tend to focus on quality. I pointed out a whole site that focuses on quantity to get the money. It was an answer to you not agreeing with JayDirex. Yeah, Webnovel isn't Patreon, but in both cases, you earn money via writing.
Ah, that is true, I can't argue with that. You wrote it without the capital letter and it got me confused.

BVarnell89

:blob_blank::blob_blank::blob_blank::blob_blank::blob_blank::blob_blank::blob_blank:

How do people keep writing? I've only been posting everyday for the past 6 days and I'm already tired lol.

I guess a part of me still feels doubt when I know I'm writing an adult fic that is not catering to the masses (no harem, no gender bender, no GL/BL, female MC). I wanna do well, of course I do, but I also want to write what I want.

So like - I wish I had a magical item that let's me ignore my self doubt.

If anyone would sell that to me, that would be great!

/pity rant

:blob_no::blob_no::blob_no::blob_no::blob_no::blob_no::blob_no::blob_no:
Self-doubt is a natural part of writing that a lot of us struggle with. I write for a living and I still struggle with Imposter Syndrome. I'm always worried that my stories are actually crap and that I don't deserve the success I have.

There is unfortunately no way to overcome this. Like most things, it is something we learn to live with. I love writing. It is my passion and hobby. Being able to write a story that takes me away to fantastical places I'll never visit and create fascinating characters who are larger than life has helped me deal with a lot of issues that I've struggled with like depression and suicidal thoughts.

I think if you really love writing and keep at it, you'll eventually be able to motivate yourself. The first step is to probably not worry too much about whether you're popular or not. Focus on enjoying yourself and finding that group of people who appreciates what you write.

TheDerpieGod

A Well-Known Daddy.
I guess a part of me still feels doubt when I know I'm writing an adult fic that is not catering to the masses (no harem, no gender bender, no GL/BL, female MC). I wanna do well, of course I do, but I also want to write what I want.
Heathen

Vnator

I kind of burnt out, so now I'm just writing whener I feel like it. Something like a tiny chapter or even half of one every week or 2. I might publish it once I'm done with the book.

Marmalade

Kitsune-in-training
:blob_blank::blob_blank::blob_blank::blob_blank::blob_blank::blob_blank::blob_blank:

How do people keep writing? I've only been posting everyday for the past 6 days and I'm already tired lol.

So like - I wish I had a magical item that let's me ignore my self doubt.

If anyone would sell that to me, that would be great!

/pity rant

:blob_no::blob_no::blob_no::blob_no::blob_no::blob_no::blob_no::blob_no:
YOU'RE ALREADY AMAZING!!!! posting everyday for your readers is good, however you should take breaks too! Avoid burnout and enjoy the process so you can write more. I personally don't think I can ever post everyday and you're speed is godly in my eyes

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Carefully choose a schedule that works for you. Before I had my kid, I would post every 8 days. Now, there's no time to write except when he's napping, and by then, I'm too exhausted from cleaning up my own bodily fluids that have passed through his body. At least I don't have to clean bottles while he's napping like some parents do.