The Yuri Writing Help Room (18+)

i think, the bad thing 'bout futa sex--they focus too much on the PP, it doesn't feel any diferent from a M/F sex when written. maybe they can focus on the features unique to futa girls, such as the sensation of having both genitals stimulated and how their partner also rubbed the girly parts, instead of just the PP.

one thing to make it enjoyable is prolly to imagine things going on both ends. giving and receiving part. maybe it's one thing that these authors didn't really do.

i suck at describing the sex scenes in detail, so i just do it 1st person and focus on how the main character felt when they are lewding each other. i don't really give a damn 'bout realism so i mostly wrote in surreal / dreamy setting. where the semen end up tasting like strawberry or something.

i find, the more they tried hard to make it descriptive, the more it loses the point. tho i dislike descriptive stuff in general.

i think, if they just skimp the unnecessary details and just let our mind fill the blanks, and instead, rouse it with their teasing, dirty talks and stuff, it can make the scenes a lot hotter.

dunno if this counts in here, but I always write the futa smex with only girls. don't really care 'bout demographic, i just wanna have fun sharing kinky stuff.

Last edited:

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
i think, the bad thing 'bout futa sex--they focus too much on the PP, it doesn't feel any diferent from a M/F sex when written. maybe they can focus on the features unique to futa girls, such as the sensation of having both genitals stimulated and how their partner also rubbed the girly parts, instead of just the PP.

That's true. I do feel like some futanari stories forget that there's a person attached to the penis. It's not just the lack of other body parts used during sex scenes, but the way that the futanari's personality and motivations generally aren't included during them.

i find, the more they tried hard to make it descriptive, the more it loses the point. tho i dislike descriptive stuff in general.

i think, if they just skimp the unnecessary details and just let our mind fill the blanks, and instead, rouse it with their teasing, dirty talks and stuff, it can make the scenes a lot hotter.

I'd kind of prefer more detail than most stories give, but I think it has to be used in the right way. A lot of what I've seen just lists sex acts without really building on what the characters are feeling or framing them in a particularly sexy way. If it's not being used to create immersion for the reader, to help them connect with the act that's taking place, it does tend to fall flat and bog the story down the more you include.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
In Japan, Yuri also has the meaning of Lily, as in the flower. How did the flower got associated with relationships between girls? When I try googling the meaning in flower language, it has no connection with such. Is it because of the same word, with that being Yuri?

I'm also curious about how All-girls Catholic School in Japan being a common setting for the classic Yuri stories, such as Maria-sama ga Miteru. Does it have some reference to real-life matters, for it to be a thing?

As in shounen-ai and shoujo-ai in Japan, does it imply the love interest (little boy or girl) or the relationship between little boys / girls (same sex)?
The first publication that made yuri an official term for softcore lesbian stories as opposed to resubian (lesbian) literature was Yuri Shimai magazine. They wanted to promote a more positive outlook on lesbians (and lesbian literature) at that time because resubian literature was well known to be deviant, abusive and unnatural at that time. They couldn't rebrand resubian, so they did the next best thing, by making a completely new genre, yuri.

Being from an all-girls school, Ai-chan can say with absolute certainly that lesbianity was rife in all-girls school. That part at least is real. Big sister-little sister relationships are also very much real.

In Japan, the term shounen ai and shoujo ai are not used at all, as it is related to pedophilia. Both terms are English bastardization of the words. The Japanese did use both terms in the Meiji era, but only for pedophilia-related literature. The Russian novel Lolita would've been put under the shoujo ai genre in the Meiji era. In Japanese, shounen and shoujo means specifically 'young boy' and 'young girl', and has very specific age related to it.

In the western world until recently, shounen ai and and shoujo ai are used to refer to relationships between two or more underaged characters. In Japan, this relationship is simply labelled yuri or Girl's Love for girls and Boy's Love for boys (since yaoi has the same stigma as resubian). The modern Japanese will not use the term shounen air or shoujo ai at all, because it's extremely cringy and disturbing. Well, they do get used in the doujinshi circle, but only as a sexual fetish, in the same vein as lolicon, as a non-abusive/less-abusive form of pedophilia.

Nowadays, western localization companies have started removing the use of shounen ai and shoujo ai and make use of Japanese terms instead. But old habits die hard and there are many who defended the use of shounen ai and shoujo ai in the west. The reference to pedophilia in the Meiji era was even deleted from the English wikipedia to defend the use of the term. You can probably still be able to see the discussion about the removal of that section, though.

Last edited:

Rellawing

Optimistic Kitten
For me, love is the most important thing. Sex comes second. I don't write it. It isn't censorship, it's just not putting importance on it. Two cute girls in love is enough to make my heart flutter. As long as the writing conveys their emotions, I'd say job well done. Ecchi is nicer because it titillates you. A lot of anime get that right these days, though sometimes they cross a few lines here and there. XD

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
How would you write a non-R18 yuri relationship?

More or less like you would a non-R18 hetero relationship: by focusing on the parts of the relationship that aren't sex, like falling in love, fluffy dating, conflict, etc.

There are some small differences, depending on setting. If applicable, your love interests might have to play the infamous pre-dating game of "is she gay or is she being friendly". And even if they're both known to like women, the similar game of "is what we're doing gay or friendly" can still apply.

Date activities can also be different, depending on the interests of your love interests. For example, shopping dates are real and enjoyable, they can both hang out in public bathrooms with each other, and sleepovers can happen.

Is there anything specific that you're struggling with?

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
How to show that they are in a yuri relationship as opposed to being very close friends. Or is there a difference?

The difference is intimacy, the meaning behind their actions, and even how they act around each other. Think about a woman who has both male friends and a boyfriend. Even if she's a really outgoing person who likes to give cuddles, the way she is with her boyfriend is different from the way she is with the others. It's usually very clear that he's her boyfriend and not her friend, even if you aren't told.

Even though women and girls are supposed to be more open and touchy-feely with their friends, that's still in a friendly way. There wouldn't be much significance to their contact beyond expressing friendship. I'm personally not a very touchy person, but even if I was to have a lot of contact with a particular female friend, it would be very different.
For example: hand holding. I might hold hands with a friend to stop us getting separated at an event, or while running to catch a bus, because holding hands will stop one of us from being left behind. But I wouldn't hold their hand for no reason at all. With my girlfriend, I enjoy holding her hand while we're walking anywhere; it's particularly romantic to hold her hand while we're exploring a festival or something like it.

Hugging is also different. Although I've known some very hug-happy women in my time, those hugs are usually quick and energetic. Or I've seen some women rest their heads against each other affectionately when they're drunk - but again, not for very long. On the other hand, couples are always cuddling, and all the time. They lean against each other in public, take quick and romantic hugs when people aren't paying attention to them, and will just cuddle together for hours on end in private. It's because couples take pleasure in touching each other and pretty much always seek it out, while there's not nearly the same drive there with friends.

There are also things I'd casually do with my girlfriend that I wouldn't do with friends. If I were to sit in a friend's lap, it would only be briefly and for a joke. But I sit myself in my girlfriend's lap all the time, just because I can.
(There's also kissing. Friends don't kiss each other on the lips.)

There's also more obvious stuff, like flirting with each other, dressing up to impress the other person (and waiting for their lovestruck reaction), giving each other sickly sweet pet names, long talks on the phone in that famous "significant other" voice...

If you consider what het couples do with each other, the behaviour is pretty similar.

tigerine

I believe the friend who asked me to share this wanted to point out that, above all else, writers should decide their target audience and consider how that will affect their writing. Yuri isn't like BL where it's aimed primarily at straight women - it's created and read by a whole range of people, women included.

Just as a point of order, you may wish to reassess your idea of what you think BL readership is like. Studies as old as ten years ago indicate that English-speaking BL readership may be 40-50% queer. BL publications in JP started with lesbian writers and artists. A lesbian JP researcher involved in starting BL publications (and later researching them) has said she believes that BL is a queer and/or lesbian space. JP BL publications continue to have a high proportion (comparatively) of queer writers and readers, including queer men seeking something different than geikomi. All of this makes the statement that BL is aimed 'primarily at straight women' very outdated.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Just as a point of order, you may wish to reassess your idea of what you think BL readership is like. Studies as old as ten years ago indicate that English-speaking BL readership may be 40-50% queer. BL publications in JP started with lesbian writers and artists. A lesbian JP researcher involved in starting BL publications (and later researching them) has said she believes that BL is a queer and/or lesbian space. JP BL publications continue to have a high proportion (comparatively) of queer writers and readers, including queer men seeking something different than geikomi. All of this makes the statement that BL is aimed 'primarily at straight women' very outdated.

Even if that is the case, men are rarely acknowledged as a possible audience for BL, and queer women don't have much more knowledge about queer men than straight women. My experience as a veteran fan of BL is that straight women are the assumed consumer and the majority of its fanbase. People are shocked to learn that a man reads BL, never mind encountering the few who write it. So next to nobody is writing expecting a lot of men to be among their audience.

My point was really that GL has a much greater variety than BL. If you try two or three BL and don't like them, you probably won't like any of it. If you try a few GL and don't like them, there's a possibility that you're just trying the wrong type for you.

I won't discuss BL in this thread, though. This is a space for yuri alone.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Recently I've been trying to write some holiday-themed yuri shorts (for a certain event), so I guess it's my turn to ask for some advice~!

What sort of fluffy Christmas/winter scenes and plots do you like best? Are there any you like best for yuri, or any that you think are overdone or too easy to get wrong?
(Some examples: characters getting snowed in together, mistletoe kisses, getting together at the Christmas party)

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
Recently I've been trying to write some holiday-themed yuri shorts (for a certain event), so I guess it's my turn to ask for some advice~!

What sort of fluffy Christmas/winter scenes and plots do you like best? Are there any you like best for yuri, or any that you think are overdone or too easy to get wrong?
(Some examples: characters getting snowed in together, mistletoe kisses, getting together at the Christmas party)

Maybe you could have two lonely and reluctant characters get trapped somewhere because of some ridiculous circumstance, but it turns out that they make the best of a bad situation. They end up having a good time together in their own weird and awkward way. At the end when they get rescued or something, they exchange some nice lines and contact information because they want to meet again.

Perhaps they were both supposed to attend obligatory Christmas eve parties where they would have just been pissed off that they didn't have a partner to spend the holidays with. All the couples would have just rubbed it in their faces or their family would have mentioned something about them not having anyone again that year grudgingly.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Maybe you could have two lonely and reluctant characters get trapped somewhere because of some ridiculous circumstance, but it turns out that they make the best of a bad situation. They end up having a good time together in their own weird and awkward way. At the end when they get rescued or something, they exchange some nice lines and contact information because they want to meet again.

Perhaps they were both supposed to attend obligatory Christmas eve parties where they would have just been pissed off that they didn't have a partner to spend the holidays with. All the couples would have just rubbed it in their faces or their family would have mentioned something about them not having anyone again that year grudgingly.

Oh, that's a nice idea~! I'm not sure it will work with the characters I have available, though. To save myself time and keep me motivated, I'm basically writing fanfiction for the yuri couples from the RPG games my friend and I write. Any characters in the story will already know each other, and most already have at least a crush between them.

Zoey

Mustachu

Having two characters bonding while making dinner for a Christmas party could be fun.

Some of my best memories are of the prep work before a big event rather than the actual event.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Having two characters bonding while making dinner for a Christmas party could be fun.

Some of my best memories are of the prep work before a big event rather than the actual event.

Ooh~! :blob_aww: Great idea! That would work perfectly for a few of the pairings. Thank you~!

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts

Youkai Yuri? Some Snow Demon meets Santa Clause (surprise surprise she's a chick) and they hit it off or smth idk

I like supernatural relationships. Though I'm biased against YURI I would really love to see something along the lines of it.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Youkai Yuri? Some Snow Demon meets Santa Clause (surprise surprise she's a chick) and they hit it off or smth idk

I like supernatural relationships. Though I'm biased against YURI I would really love to see something along the lines of it.

Oh, you don't like yuri?

I think I only have one supernatural pairing available from my selection, and it's a human and the elf queen. Supernatural is usually my preference too, though~!

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Oh, you don't like yuri
Yeah, but I'm doing my best to enjoy them anyway.

I think I only have one supernatural pairing available from my selection, and it's a human and the elf queen. Supernatural is usually my preference too, though~!
Send me a LINK. HOLY SHIT, you don't get much supernatural goodness these days

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Yeah, but I'm doing my best to enjoy them anyway.

Send me a LINK. HOLY SHIT, you don't get much supernatural goodness these days

Do you prefer BL, or just het?

Also, I'll be glad to, but these won't be ready for a while~! I'm hoping to have about three or four to be "unlocked" in a Christmas event, so they won't show up until a little nearer the date.