The Yuri Writing Help Room (18+)

FriendlyDragon

Your friendly local dragon~
@Moonpearl Maybe I'm boring but I love cold nights and cuddling by the fireside. With a blanket and a drink or maybe just some popcorn as you watch the fire or the snow gently fluttering to the ground beyond the window. You can whisper to your partner about the things you've done together during the year and the memories that you've made. :blob_melt:

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
@Moonpearl why not shake it up a little and do some tropical summer xmas yuri?

Ooh, that would be interesting~!

@Moonpearl Maybe I'm boring but I love cold nights and cuddling by the fireside. With a blanket and a drink or maybe just some popcorn as you watch the fire or the snow gently fluttering to the ground beyond the window. You can whisper to your partner about the things you've done together during the year and the memories that you've made. :blob_melt:

I also love those sorts~! :blob_melt: Maybe I can sneak a scene like this into a short with a married couple.

Vaerama

:blob_aww: *has learned today that the nose is an erogenous zone*
Here I thought nose-kissing and nuzzling just invited ‘cute!’ feelings and lovey-dovey twitterpating.

Never would have thought of it as ‘particularly erogenous’ to the touch. Scent-wise absolutely! But nose touching just sounds ticklish.

Literarily speaking though, the image of a nose-nom is incredibly cute, so long as it’s ‘top of nose’ to ‘tip’, because there’s no way to make ‘nostril play’ sexy.

Vaerama

I am very late to the party, but I figured that there’s one aspect of scissoring that looks to have gone unmentioned/undermentioned: The *heat*. It’s thrilling, it’s intense, and does feel really very romantic. The heat is like a fiery kiss that only ignites a further passion 🥰 It probably also helps that usually it’s after being ‘wound up’ for a while.

Although I never came from it directly/by itself (unfortunately, my genitalia was not actually equipped for doing anything besides getting in the way of that wonderful feeling), and she certainly never came from it (not exactly her thing, which wasn’t exsctly my thing, despite being my ‘thing’ 😪): it still featured in our relationship pretty often, if only because she liked the way it affected me (I loved it), and she could use it to trick my body into responding to her wants. Of course, at some point she started birth control pills for her periods (extremely painful for her)... and sex became basically nonexistent anymore, as her interest in me went from ‘a guy would have probably been better’ to ‘absolute zero’.

TMI/TLDR: for me, back when I was in a relationship with another girl: scissoring was probably second only to being tongued. Not because of its orgasmic potential, but because of the felicity it provided me. ‘Obviously’, fingers are going to be a better route to orgasm than scissoring ever could be, but romantically: scissoring can be *incredible*.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
What sort of fluffy Christmas/winter scenes and plots do you like best? Are there any you like best for yuri, or any that you think are overdone or too easy to get wrong?
(Some examples: characters getting snowed in together, mistletoe kisses, getting together at the Christmas party)
Going on vacation (like a ski trip), but end up doing much less sightseeing and much more snuggling. Can be related to getting snowed in, but the spontaneity is nice too.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I am very late to the party, but I figured that there’s one aspect of scissoring that looks to have gone unmentioned/undermentioned: The *heat*. It’s thrilling, it’s intense, and does feel really very romantic. The heat is like a fiery kiss that only ignites a further passion 🥰 It probably also helps that usually it’s after being ‘wound up’ for a while.

Although I never came from it directly/by itself (unfortunately, my genitalia was not actually equipped for doing anything besides getting in the way of that wonderful feeling), and she certainly never came from it (not exactly her thing, which wasn’t exsctly my thing, despite being my ‘thing’ 😪): it still featured in our relationship pretty often, if only because she liked the way it affected me (I loved it), and she could use it to trick my body into responding to her wants. Of course, at some point she started birth control pills for her periods (extremely painful for her)... and sex became basically nonexistent anymore, as her interest in me went from ‘a guy would have probably been better’ to ‘absolute zero’.

TMI/TLDR: for me, back when I was in a relationship with another girl: scissoring was probably second only to being tongued. Not because of its orgasmic potential, but because of the felicity it provided me. ‘Obviously’, fingers are going to be a better route to orgasm than scissoring ever could be, but romantically: scissoring can be *incredible*.

Hm... I guess I've never found it romantic because it involves so much problem solving to make it work even slightly. It brings everything to a halt to try and work it out so, to me, it's just a fiddly waste of time.

Going on vacation (like a ski trip), but end up doing much less sightseeing and much more snuggling. Can be related to getting snowed in, but the spontaneity is nice too.

Oh, I love that type too~!

thedude3445

It depends on what your characters like, really. Do they have any particular interests?

Hmm the question is more directed in a general sense, so maybe the baseline is like maybe two adults who have steady jobs and not that much free time these days for hobbies or big interests.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Hmm the question is more directed in a general sense, so maybe the baseline is like maybe two adults who have steady jobs and not that much free time these days for hobbies or big interests.

The botanical gardens are, for some reason, an LGBT+ dating hotspot. I personally quite like petting zoos too.

Swimming is a great one (you get a girlfriend in gorgeous swimwear AND a no-stress date of playing around), as well as visiting themed cafes, going to a little cinema together to watch something feel-good like Disney, and going dancing.

I also really like visiting the museum for dates, since it's typically free and you can spend as long as you like discussing the exhibits with your lover. You can pick and choose where you go, too. The last time I got my girlfriend to go with me, we went window shopping in a history of fashion exhibit and then played around with all the interactive activities in the history of technology area. Learning together is wholesome and fun~! (It's not for everyone, of course.)

For bigger, more interesting dates, try days out. You could try falconry for a day, or hiring an alpaca, or LARPing.

You could also try out sword fighting for a day. Who doesn't want to be a sword lesbian?

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
Here I thought nose-kissing and nuzzling just invited ‘cute!’ feelings and lovey-dovey twitterpating.

Never would have thought of it as ‘particularly erogenous’ to the touch. Scent-wise absolutely! But nose touching just sounds ticklish.

Literarily speaking though, the image of a nose-nom is incredibly cute, so long as it’s ‘top of nose’ to ‘tip’, because there’s no way to make ‘nostril play’ sexy.
Wow, the more you know. :blob_aww: Nuzzling had always been one of my favorite displays of affection. This pleases me greatly.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
@Moonpearl how to differentiate between female-gaze and male-gaze yuri sex scene (for futaxfem, futaxfuta, and f/f)?
In terms of your prompt, I think the prompt submitter specifically wants traditional smut aimed at women, essentially. Think shoujo/josei, but smutty.
The best example I can think of that I have on hand is "Princess Marietta's Wedding", found here: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/marietta-hime-no-konrei/

But specifically for sex scenes...

From my own observations, I find that male-aimed futa/fem scenes tend to be only focused on the visuals, to avoid giving any meaningful insight into the fem's emotional state or perspective, and generally hyperfocus on the futa's dick and experience of penetration.
It feels like, a lot of the time, it's written so that men can self-insert into the futa's perspective.
There's also a tendency to include sex elements that are erotic for men, but would be uncomfortable for most women - like gagging/choking during oral, or the fem experiencing pain/discomfort during sex. These kind of things would be fine in a well-tagged masochism BDSM text, but are often thrown in as "normal" parts of even a vanilla experience.
Also, if they do try and give the fem's thoughts, it's usually... Not how women actually think and behave, or think about themselves. Generally they have superficial, somewhat bizarre thoughts about sex that men seem to wish women would have, or they think about their bodies the way men fantasise about women's bodies, essentially objectifying themselves as if they were a third party.

For female-orientated/female-gaze smut, you have, well... The perspective of a woman. Probably easier if it's the fem in a futa/fem situation, but in a situation where a futa is also a woman, that can work too.
This means at least a focus on female pleasure and what that pleasure feels like, but a lot of traditional smut also includes pleasure for the other partner too.
There's usually also a lot of focus on emotions and relationship dynamics. It doesn't necessarily have to be love and sappiness (although I believe your prompt specifically calls for this), but a lot of the spiciness of this kind of smut comes from the thrill of the connection between the people having sex.
So, in a long, drawn-out seduction, you feel the anticipation and the slow-building tension along with the characters. Or you feel the desperation and fire from a ten-year slow burn turned into a heated, passionate fuck in the spur of a moment. Whatever's between your characters overall and in the moment matters almost as much if not more than the motions of the sex they're having.
There's also usually a feedback loop, where characters respond to their partner's emotions. For example, if character A does something that turns character B on, character B notices and gets more turned on by character's A response, etc.

If it's about solely f/f works, you obviously have the benefit of women's pleasure being your only choice, so that should make less of a difference if you're writing good smut.
But you can sometimes tell the difference based on the way the characters think about themselves and about other women. Women just tend to describe women they're attracted to in different ways to men? Which is a little hard to explain without examples...
But usually, if the description is focused heavily on breasts and barely touches on any other quality of the characters, I can tell it was written by a man. Doubly so if all the descriptions in a yuri are sexual, even in non-sexual situations.
(This is not to say all men write women like this. But when a woman is written this way, it's usually a man.)

On that note, something I don't think I've ever seen in futa/fem (I think mostly because I rarely to never encounter female-aimed smut of this type) is the fem's reasons for finding the futa attractive. It usually boils down to, "has huge dick, yum".

yurifutalover

For female-orientated/female-gaze smut, you have, well... The perspective of a woman. Probably easier if it's the fem in a futa/fem situation, but in a situation where a futa is also a woman, that can work too.
This means at least a focus on female pleasure and what that pleasure feels like, but a lot of traditional smut also includes pleasure for the other partner too.
There's usually also a lot of focus on emotions and relationship dynamics. It doesn't necessarily have to be love and sappiness (although I believe your prompt specifically calls for this), but a lot of the spiciness of this kind of smut comes from the thrill of the connection between the people having sex.
Thank you for your explanation, it's very insightful. But can female-aimed smut also involve something like rough sex, kinky stuff like BDSM or humiliation play or something like that, I wonder?

Uurgh... it sounds difficult, but still, I want to try writing in this kind of style at least once. Though, I'm kinda afraid too, that I'm going to royally mess up, and it'll turn out to be a total disaster...

On that note, something I don't think I've ever seen in futa/fem (I think mostly because I rarely to never encounter female-aimed smut of this type) is the fem's reasons for finding the futa attractive. It usually boils down to, "has huge dick, yum".
It is certainly hard to find some in SH or WN (I mainly consume my fic from these two platforms), but you can see a decent amount of them in AO3, where the fem is like "I find her manhood is wonderful but..." and fall for the futa for their personality (kind, sincere, domineering, caring, etc.) instead, but this also possess a problem where it sometimes had nothing to do with her "futaness" at all.
One such I've ever read was Beast of Lust by SexulPenut. Though all the smut scenes are always in a similar pattern —started with non-con and then developed into dub-con and then the two character fall in love with each other— but it also voices a lot of inner struggle (especially fem), making it not only about action but also thought and emotion. But, I can't be sure whether this fic is male-aimed or female-aimed even after reading your explanation. Maybe hybrid?

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
But, I can't be sure whether this fic is male-aimed or female-aimed even after reading your explanation.
...The problem is that you're conflating two different topics together.

The Male Gaze / Female Gaze thing is a bit of a misnomer, where 'male gaze' is defined as objectification and disempowerment of female characters, and female gaze is defined as empathizing with female characters.

The trouble is that 'male gaze' type stories can be written to appeal to women, and 'female gaze' type stories can be targeted towards men. And things only get more complicated if you try to apply gendered thinking to trans or non-binary people... Which may well be a major goal when writing on your chosen topic.

So, your audience (as in, the people you want to read your story) is NOT the same as male/female gaze. You can objectify or disempower characters(of either gender) and still appeal to an audience of the desired gender. Likewise, you can create deep and emotionally distinct characters that your audience will have an empathic connection with even if that audience isn't female.

The two things aren't related, just like being trans and being homosexual aren't related. It's a complicated topic... Mostly because of stereotypes and poor word choice.
But can female-aimed smut also involve something like rough sex, kinky stuff like BDSM or humiliation play or something like that, I wonder?
People of any gender can have a fetish.

Oddly enough, it's entirely possible to have a scene where a character is humiliated and objectified without it being Objectification... Somehow? It's about intent, really... It's not easy though, and I suspect there's a lot of room for argument on where to draw the line. QuietValerie's stories tend to have a lot of kinky stuff while still emphasizing emotion. I'm afraid I don't read a lot of smut, so I can't give other examples.

Uurgh... it sounds difficult, but still, I want to try writing in this kind of style at least once. Though, I'm kinda afraid too, that I'm going to royally mess up, and it'll turn out to be a total disaster...
If you're really worried about failing to pull it off, you could try getting beta readers to advise you. Just remember that they'll be giving you that advice based on their own experience, just as you'll be writing based on your experience. There's no 'right' or 'wrong' answers. Just ones that match your intent, and ones that don't.

For example, this comment definitely doesn't fully explain my thoughts on this matter. But I can't really improve it without feedback, so... Now you're reading it.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Thank you for your explanation, it's very insightful. But can female-aimed smut also involve something like rough sex, kinky stuff like BDSM or humiliation play or something like that, I wonder?

It can. Women can also like BDSM and, for better or worse, 50 Shades of Grey does exist. But, like all smut and kink fic, it should be marked with proper warning for what's going to be included.
Too many times I've walked into a BDSM story and it turned out to be stuff like extreme blood kink, with no other warning...

However, in terms of your prompt, the prompt submitter asked for these elements to be completely excluded, so they won't be an option for your story.
It is certainly hard to find some in SH or WN (I mainly consume my fic from these two platforms), but you can see a decent amount of them in AO3, where the fem is like "I find her manhood is wonderful but..." and fall for the futa for their personality (kind, sincere, domineering, caring, etc.) instead, but this also possess a problem where it sometimes had nothing to do with her "futaness" at all.
One such I've ever read was Beast of Lust by SexulPenut. Though all the smut scenes are always in a similar pattern —started with non-con and then developed into dub-con and then the two character fall in love with each other— but it also voices a lot of inner struggle (especially fem), making it not only about action but also thought and emotion. But, I can't be sure whether this fic is male-aimed or female-aimed even after reading your explanation. Maybe hybrid?
Ooh, that's interesting~!

But I really mean that the stories I've read never even offer something physically attractive about the futa that the fem likes. It's always about the dick, to the exclusion of all else.
Pp is no good on someone plain or ugly.

If you're really worried about failing to pull it off, you could try getting beta readers to advise you. Just remember that they'll be giving you that advice based on their own experience, just as you'll be writing based on your experience. There's no 'right' or 'wrong' answers. Just ones that match your intent, and ones that don't.

For example, this comment definitely doesn't fully explain my thoughts on this matter. But I can't really improve it without feedback, so... Now you're reading it.
Thank you for your good advice and input!

In the context of writing for the Yuri Garden anthology though (which wasn't totally clear from this conversation, I know), it's better to ask me directly about matters that affect your ability to meet the rules.

Beta readers are totally allowed and helpful for improving the quality of your story (so long as you remember to share your work with them privately instead of publishing and linking to it), but might mislead you if you're relying on their judgement calls regarding the event rules.