• 2-3 novels are recommended there

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • There is one, but at least there is something there

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • There is similar series section???

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

Remuria

So... I just notice something somewhat interesting after looking through my novel's main page.

There is no "Similar Series" section in my novel! :blob_blank:

Like... none. Nothing. Just pure white, empty space of nothingness...

This doesn't happen to my novel only; 2 of the current trending novels don't have any similar series either. So this is actually a more widespread problem than it might appear at first glance.

Isn't it sad that there are thousands of novels on this site, yet not a single one is considered similar enough to these novels? Isn't that too lonely? :blob_pat_sad:

What about yours? Does your novel have any similar novels? And how similar are they?

P.S. This happens after the new update to the algorithm, I think.

01.png

EternalSunset0

Four of all. With my first volume being one of the four in the second and third volumes :blobrofl:

EchoingRuby

Some stories have a smaller number of similar series as well; I think the intended number is 4 but I've seen stories with only 2.

My conjecture is that the new release time filter that was added recently is applied after the number of results are clamped instead of before.

Last edited:

Toomanysorrows

I got four. Which is ironic since none of them are similar to it at all xD

I get why they're branded as similar though, there are definitely some shared tags. It does seem really weird for yours to not have any though.

Cossimeri

Purveyor of Yuri Adventures
Lol, I wouldn't brand not having similar series as “lonely”.

I would say “my novel is so unorthodox and original you can’t find anything else like it!”

Not having similar series just seems like a positive flex. I’d brag about it.

FR tho, you say it happened after the last update. I seem to recall it mentioned somewhere that novels which haven’t had updates in awhile won’t show up on similar series. (Or I could be full of crap and just misremembering). But that could be it, maybe all the novels like yours are just dead. So instead of showing a couple dead novels, the window just doesn’t appear at all.

D

Deleted member 45782

What do you mean by similar series? As in an actual series like a sequel, trilogy, saga or quartet? Or stories that have similar tropes to each other?

Valmond

So... I just notice something somewhat interesting after looking through my novel's main page.

This doesn't happen to my novel only; 2 of the current trending novels don't have any similar series either. So this is actually a more widespread problem than it might appear at first glance.

Isn't it sad that there are thousands of novels on this site, yet not a single one is considered similar enough to these novels? Isn't that too lonely? :blob_pat_sad:

What about yours? Does your novel have any similar novels? And how similar are they?

I have similar series recommendations. However, it is always far from anything I would read. In all honesty, this happens with pretty much anything. YouTube, Games, Netflix. 🤨

It goes on and on, so I am always stuck with the very annoying task of diving into the ocean, and hoping I don’t pull up trash. I have very particular tastes, and apparently algorithms are not up to speed to catch it. As as result, I am often left with a lot of manual work to do.

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻

from what i've heard tony seems to be revamping the similar series thing so it might take time for the algorithm to work for yours (wild mass guessing here).

as an example one of my novels used to have the same 5 default "similar series" that were recommended for every kind of novel in that genre; it has now been whittled down to one title that actually is active and similar series to mine.

Valmond

from what i've heard tony seems to be revamping the similar series thing so it might take time for the algorithm to work for yours (wild mass guessing here).

as an example one of my novels used to have the same 5 default "similar series" that were recommended for every kind of novel in that genre; it has now been whittled down to one title that actually is active and similar series to mine.
Well, at least it is getting adjusted. However, I would much more appreciate if it can get even more in depth. For instance, if the algorithm can scan the words and determine the type of style. Then use this to recommend similar ones. As well as taking into account two different things. One, if the person is also a writer, take note into what genres and tags they use. As well as the style of their words, tense, etc. If it is a reader, generally the tags and genre would suffice. Though, it can go a step further by trying to find the center point between what they read.

This no doubt would be a complex system to work, but would definitely yield better results. Unfortunately, this might take quite a bit of time to get working right.

Remuria

Well, at least it is getting adjusted. However, I would much more appreciate if it can get even more in depth. For instance, if the algorithm can scan the words and determine the type of style. Then use this to recommend similar ones. As well as taking into account two different things. One, if the person is also a writer, take note into what genres and tags they use. As well as the style of their words, tense, etc. If it is a reader, generally the tags and genre would suffice. Though, it can go a step further by trying to find the center point between what they read.

This no doubt would be a complex system to work, but would definitely yield better results. Unfortunately, this might take quite a bit of time to get working right.
That would certainly be the most ideal way to recommend a "similar" story, but it probably needs some advanced AI stuff to achieve.

As even Google couldn't get it right sometimes with their Youtube recommendation, I doubt it would happen to this site anytime soon though.