Things in your writing that you think you're good at

Chaaruzu_Corner

Young Senior Member
Heya! It's me and I wanted to ask, there are things that I like about parts of my writing and think I'm pretty good at. For me I think it's character interaction and dialogue, I really like having my characters talk to each other and show off their personalities. Then next is probably describing things, xD cause I like thinking of new ways to describe that action or thing.

Anyways whats your strength and weaknesses? :D

Ninetailed_Furball

Strength: Self-deprecation.
Weakness: Everything.

Jokes aside, I think I'm strong in subtext and descriptive writing, and probably weakest in maintaining control over my own story.

That said, I've grown well aware of just how often things go over the heads of my audience, so maybe I'm just imagining how good I am at that.

MrTiemos

DinoSir, thank you very much!
Strength: Hugging
Weakness: Being squeezed/hugged too hard.

Well, for writing I feel I’m pretty strong with making narratives, but I’ve got a problem putting them together in a readable manner.

DalangTala

ℳᴇʀᴇ ℋᴜᴍᴀɴ
Strength: My readers thought that my humor is good. (Well, at least those who leaves comments)

Weakness: My jokes go overboard. My story seems more like a joke compilation to me. And some jokes are probably only funny for me.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Strength: Micro-describing scenes, detailing the events heavily. Fluffy moments.
Weakness: Flowing dialogue.

I like omitting sentences and words then let the audiences guessed the thought and intention of the characters.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I'm good at being funnily chaotic. You never know WHATS gonna happen.
You think, "nah that ain't gonna--" then BAM it does and you're sitting there thinking "wtf, really?"

Long as you dont take the story seriously, you fine. Can just enjoy the ride. Which has flaming tires and a sleeping driver.

awake1122

Strength: World Building
Weakness : World Building

I put too much emphasis on world building that I tend to neglect character interactions. :sweating_profusely:
You could look into using character interactions to show the worldbuilding. Like if there is a tower that is super important in a place, don't just say it's there, have it come up when a character is looking around or asking about the town. Let tidbits of the world building out like that in conversation.

Nihilaine

You could look into using character interactions to show the worldbuilding. Like if there is a tower that is super important in a place, don't just say it's there, have it come up when a character is looking around or asking about the town. Let tidbits of the world building out like that in conversation.

Definitely gonna do that instead of writing paragraphs upon paragraphs of info dumps.
:blob_okay:

Ninetailed_Furball

Definitely gonna do that instead of writing paragraphs upon paragraphs of info dumps.
:blob_okay:
This is basically the simplest form of showing rather than telling in writing form, and it does wonders to make a story come alive, even if it's basically just a five pages of exposition hidden in some pretty mundane actions.

Walking around, seeing the sights, talking to people, getting some opinions, maybe hearing some local legends, how the demon lord once ravaged this town but it's been built up ever since and there's a popular tourist location where the hero defeated and sealed one of the four generals, so the MC goes with some corndogs, only to discover that the seal's been long broken, etc.

Scribbler

I'm good at developing the plot of the story in a natural way, or a cool and logical way, or in an unexpected and expected way.

I think logical consistency is important in all stories. I hated how in The Wheel of Time the dagger was first introduced as something you can't even touch for a second or else you're instantly cursed, but then they retcon it and say it's okay if you touch it for a really, really short time. Or how in Bungo Stray Dogs two characters are pumped full of lead in one episode and perfectly fine in the next episode because of some healer they have on hand. It made it so I never believed any of the characters were in any actual danger.

I'm bad at scenery and physical descriptions. I know those things are important but I'm far more interested in other aspects of writing.

Last edited:
i think im quite ok with things that doesn't need much dedication and has low word count. i also get the knack of parodies since i just copy pasta the original story and change few bits to make it absurd. things like fanfiction's also nice since i can just use someone's ideas and concepts when im too lazy to think of my own.

but the opposite, like longer stories where i have to remember many more details as it goes on, it's not my thing. i don't have the attention span to keep on it long enough.

Mack_Frantz

I'd say comedy, slapstick humour and whatnot. And why not an action or two? Yeah. Throw that in, as well.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Strength: Tacit Understanding between Characters
Weakness: World-building, missing out on important details

Not to blow my own trumpet but- bah, who am I kidding I'm doing it right now- I'm really experienced with character building. They may come sudden or get stalled for long but they'll always come naturally. You won't see much of "huh" or "uh" between characters in my story because most of the time I'll have nailed down the characters and built an adequate relationship between them for them to end up in moments where wordless understanding can easily be established. Call it JoJo but less godly.

As for detail and World-building, I'm like one good apple in a barrel of rotting ones. Sometimes I'll nail it right and most of the time you'd be left wondering whether if it's Fantasy or Futuristic. Sometimes even night and day. I get messed up with plot points and key details and overextend those that I "thought" would help on building atmosphere.