This is making me feel anxious

muhyumi

As a writer, I try my best not to take "clout" seriously but the ratings and how many people dropped my story is making me anxious. Is it my writing? Is it the story? Where did I go wrong?

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I dont even know what your story is man

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
This is SH.
Not everyone reading your story is a "reader" because people have to register to be counted as a reader. I have fewer readers than you for instance but almost twice as many page views.

The other thing is that writing is subjective and people will read stories based on their preferred genre. Your writing might appeal to some but not everyone. Readers drop a series when they decide it's not for them, often has to do with genre over the quality. People who are interested in reincarnation usually prefer an OP protagonist.

Also Gender Bender and Girls love is trending right now, we don't know where it'll go in a few years, but the more you write the more readers and drops you will get. This is normal.

As for ratings? Who really cares. The more popular your series the more haters will come out, the most important thing is you're being read.

Agentt

Thighs
As a writer, I try my best not to take "clout" seriously but the ratings and how many people dropped my story is making me anxious. Is it my writing? Is it the story? Where did I go wrong?
Could be trolls, could be bots, just keep writing. You will get better naturally

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
you could consider just writing in notebooks and gdocs first instead of publishing online, since anything publicly available online will invite public scrutiny sooner or later. i spent most of my teen years just filling up journals with stories, crappy or otherwise. nowadays i feel solid enough about what i write to put it out, but i'm also too old to care what others think since i primarily write original fiction for myself.

if you're second guessing yourself and can't figure out what's the problem, you could 1) ask some trusted friends to give you their input, 2) ask strangers like us what we like/don't like about your story, 3) compare it with good stories you DO like to see (technically speaking) what they did well and what you didn't grasp. i agree with everyone that writing's a gradual process; you need to wear down the granite before you get something smooth and polished.

p.s. numbers don't mean anything, they're oversimplified bits of data that can only generalize info about you, but don't go into the fine details. people can drop stories for a myriad of reasons or something as simple as "i don't like this character's name," so using them to gauge whether your story has "clout" or not is a hit or miss (especially if your story's still new! even the tiniest variables can lead to huge changes!). do you like your story? do you enjoy writing it? do you think it's something worth telling and reading by the end? let yourself inspire your words.

last but not least, no matter how many people love or hate your story, you're the one who decides if it's worth writing/finishing in the end. the power is in your hands.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Resist the urge to look at statistics . . . unless you're intentionally collecting one-star ratings like me 😇

lambenttyto

The other thing is that writing is subjective and people will read stories based on their preferred genre. Your writing might appeal to some but not everyone. Readers drop a series when they decide it's not for them, often has to do with genre over the quality. People who are interested in reincarnation usually prefer an OP protagonist.

Also Gender Bender and Girls love is trending right now, we don't know where it'll go in a few years, but the more you write the more readers and drops you will get. This is normal.

As for ratings? Who really cares. The more popular your series the more haters will come out, the most important thing is you're being read
All of this. Taste is incredibly subjective and people dropping the story is not a mark against your skill or ability as a storyteller. It can be, but I doubt that's it. Storytelling is in fact, an art form. Let the art be what the art will be, those who enjoy it will enjoy it. Write another story. Always do your best, strive for improvement, but let the art be the art, mistakes and all. The rough edges are what make it more individual and unique as well. Gorge RR Martin has some crazy stuff going on with horses in his Song of Ice and Fire series, and they're factual mistakes, but... who cares? It's really cool, and funny. One of his characters picks the horse up, folds it in half... and puts it in his satchel! Goofy. But so good.

There's also a part where a Harry and a Potter are mentioned and how they were killed in the battle. Now, when I read this at the time, I didn't realize he was making a snub at JK Rowling, but I did realize those two names were wildly out of place in his world. There are no Harries and Potters in Westeros. Trust me. I later used this technique against Brandon Sanderson in one of my own books because he really annoyed me.