This one character

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I always hate the teenagers-fighting-against-oppresive-regime character. The Katniss troupe. The whole Divergent series.

Somehow or rather, when someone writes that character, they just spout the most insane bullshit plans to topple the bad guy's scheme, and everytime it somehow WORKS. I hate this reward behaviour, only because the author cripples the bad guy just to make the good guy look good. And the good guy acts like "yes it was genius plan all along" and actually think they deserve to be smug and snappy about it.

If their schemes and antagonists were ACTUALLY smart, I'd root for this troupe to no end, as I enjoy seeing one smarty-pants fuck over a big conglomerate. But no, it's always this borderline retarded BIG MEN IN CHAIRS having glaring fucking holes in their systems and the teenagers act like the Einsteins of their generation when they point it out. They're smart, but only by default and lack of competition, since the whole fucking world revolves around putting them on a pedestal.

Jesus Christ, I know you hate the government and think they're all courier corrupt, self-serving fucks, and you want to write that, but holy fuck you couldn't have built a bigger strawman if you tried. Governments aren't incompetent; they're self-serving. They're MORE THAN CAPABLE of making good decisions for the world, they just want to have heavier pockets than giving actual good for the people.

Screenshot_20210606_002005.jpg

This character, to be exact.

Screenshot_20210606_003815.jpg

Echimera

It's rare for me that I actively drop a show I've started (instead of just loosing interest for a while), but I simply could not stand Daisuke from revisions.
I mean, I can get behind characters with delusions or a savior complex, but the utter glee with which he reacted to the situation they find themselves in while classmates are being killed around him actually got me to stop watching after two episodes.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I always hate the teenagers-fighting-against-oppresive-regime character. The Katniss troupe. The whole Divergent series.

Somehow or rather, when someone writes that character, they just spout the most insane bullshit plans to topple the bad guy's scheme, and everytime it somehow WORKS. I hate this reward behaviour, only because the author cripples the bad guy just to make the good guy look good. And the good guy acts like "yes it was genius plan all along" and actually think they deserve to be smug and snappy about it.

If their schemes and antagonists were ACTUALLY smart, I'd root for this troupe to no end, as I enjoy seeing one smarty-pants fuck over a big conglomerate. But no, it's always this borderline retarded BIG MEN IN CHAIRS having glaring fucking holes in their systems and the teenagers act like the Einsteins of their generation when they point it out. They're smart, but only by default and lack of competition, since the whole fucking world revolves around putting them on a pedestal.

Jesus Christ, I know you hate the government and think they're all courier corrupt, self-serving fucks, and you want to write that, but holy fuck you couldn't have built a bigger strawman if you tried. Governments aren't incompetent; they're self-serving. They're MORE THAN CAPABLE of making good decisions for the world, they just want to have heavier pockets than giving actual good for the people.
On that note, I remember watching the Hunger Games Movies (I didn't read the books), and I actually liked them quite a bit, but I... Had to use some suspension of disbelief to enjoy it for sure.

Because like... The big bad seemed to be a seriously smart and cunning guy with a ridiculously large military by his side... Yet he was somehow losing. Losing and losing and losing. And some of his plans just felt extremely ineffective, like... I thought he had some bigger larger plan hidden, but apparently his plan was just dumb.

... I dunno how it is on the books, but after watching the movies, I came to the conclusion that he actually wanted to lose the war. That he purposefully sabotaged himself and gave everything the rebels needed in order to win... But I couldn't quite understand why. The movie never explained it for sure.

Seriously, I liked that villain, he was great, the actor did a fantastic job with him, from beginning until the end... But his overall plot and moves were... Not good enough, not nearly good enough. The only way I could understand his actions, was by thinking that he wanted to lose on purpose... Even if I couldn't understand the reason why he'd want to lose.

So uhn... I agree with you overall. I feel like the villains of those tropes should be a lot smarter than they are.

... On a side note, I'm now also remembering Deltora Quest, whose main big bad seemed to be making everyone suffer just for fun, and seemed to also give them ways of fighting back and actually winning just for fun too... Because like, it was trivial for him to have finished his plans without letting anyone interfere with them, yet he kept leaving clues around to let people try ruining his evil plots.

It's a villain that never appears throughout the story, he is the big bad behind the shadows, so nothing really is known about him... He is just the mysterious big bad... But it really felt like he was was a bored big bad that tortured people and gave them hope for the sake of entertainment... Which isn't the best of villains either, it kinda falls into the same thing you said... If he was smart and seriously tried, he'd totally win, he had all the necessary tools to do so.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
On that note, I remember watching the Hunger Games Movies (I didn't read the books), and I actually liked them quite a bit, but I... Had to use some suspension of disbelief to enjoy it for sure.

Because like... The big bad seemed to be a seriously smart and cunning guy with a ridiculously large military by his side... Yet he was somehow losing. Losing and losing and losing. And some of his plans just felt extremely ineffective, like... I thought he had some bigger larger plan hidden, but apparently his plan was just dumb.

... I dunno how it is on the books, but after watching the movies, I came to the conclusion that he actually wanted to lose the war. That he purposefully sabotaged himself and gave everything the rebels needed in order to win... But I couldn't quite understand why. The movie never explained it for sure.

Seriously, I liked that villain, he was great, the actor did a fantastic job with him, from beginning until the end... But his overall plot and moves were... Not good enough, not nearly good enough. The only way I could understand his actions, was by thinking that he wanted to lose on purpose... Even if I couldn't understand the reason why he'd want to lose.

So uhn... I agree with you overall. I feel like the villains of those tropes should be a lot smarter than they are.

... On a side note, I'm now also remembering Deltora Quest, whose main big bad seemed to be making everyone suffer just for fun, and seemed to also give them ways of fighting back and actually winning just for fun too... Because like, it was trivial for him to have finished his plans without letting anyone interfere with them, yet he kept leaving clues around to let people try ruining his evil plots.

It's a villain that never appears throughout the story, he is the big bad behind the shadows, so nothing really is known about him... He is just the mysterious big bad... But it really felt like he was was a bored big bad that tortured people and gave them hope for the sake of entertainment... Which isn't the best of villains either, it kinda falls into the same thing you said... If he was smart and seriously tried, he'd totally win, he had all the necessary tools to do so.
It's like another Adam Driver situation. Man plays Kylo Ren in nu-Star Wars; great performance hindered by a what-the-fuck-is-you-doing-o-no character. I just WISH they build the evil empire FIRST before making the main protagonist. The former is the problem while the latter is the tool to unfuck said problem. When you build a problem around the tool, it ends up looking like a pedestal, since you're actively creating crutches just so the tool can fix A problem. It isn't a tool finding solutions to a problem anymore, but a tool speedrunning the whole ordeal because the problems are too fucking braindead.

They can't do shit anyway, since the author made the main character first. It's easier to tweak the setting than a character. You can change around the landscape, but some people are hesitant to make great changes to a character they've long created and possibly, have an emotional connection towards.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀

The bitch was stupid, and then she started judging and bossing around the other characters.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Nice to see the amount of hatred flowing in the thread.

If there is any character I hate in novels/ manga and anime, it will be those "evil for the sake of evil" archetype characters, same with good-for-good types as well. While such people exist IRL, they are more of a phase as those people will find their cause sooner or later.

It is too zero depth, too pointless for them to exist.

And all I am good at writing are such characters. FML.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Nice to see the amount of hatred flowing in the thread.

If there is any character I hate in novels/ manga and anime, it will be those "evil for the sake of evil" archetype characters, same with good-for-good types as well. While such people exist IRL, they are more of a phase as those people will find their cause sooner or later.

It is too zero depth, too pointless for them to exist.

And all I am good at writing are such characters. FML.
Oooooooh, I share your hate! I hate villains like Voldemort who are evil just for being evil! >.<

Goody-two-shoes are easier to do right I guess, they just need a good reason to fight, like... Protecting family or whatever.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Oooooooh, I share your hate! I hate villains like Voldemort who are evil just for being evil! >.<

Goody-two-shoes are easier to do right I guess, they just need a good reason to fight, like... Protecting family or whatever.
I find it quite sad for Voldemort, his evil stems from his superiority over others, magic, then his denial of being a mudblood ended up clashed within and he gone off the deep end as he is half of what he loathes. This often becomes a bit tad silly, hence sad, as this is used as a parallel for the "hero".

A lot of evil cunts in works are created as such, a manifestation of the real world with elitists hating peasants for a sense of superiorty, the social hierarchy they say.

SailusGebel

My annoyance\irritation mostly turns into boredom and disappointment. I'm usually frustrated with the way how someone handles a good idea(character) poorly.
The only exception being female characters from Koji Seo's works. They are simply abominations not worthy of any redemption.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Do you have this character that irritated the hell out of you everytime that he/she appears on the scene in a novel/anime/movie etc and wished that they just die already?
Ah yes, Tusk from Cross Ange.
Like, my female characters tend to feel like characters, while my male characters tend to feel like a plot device. Something that had to exist there in order to fulfill a specific role... I just can't give them much depth.

On the plus side though, I like writing female characters a lot more, so I just don't give my male characters much spotlight. So even though they exist and aren't well-written, they don't end up taking too much space on the novel.
Why are you calling me out like this.

Reisinling

I thought there was post saying this already but... pretty much any lesbian character in non-lesbian story that is in love with female MC, pretends not to be and is bestie instead, and yet tries to get in between MC and FMC.

I like yuri stories and stuff, but this particular character trope seems to be there just to stop the story from progressing, and add a "non threatening" competing character. Its even more annoying that they tend to make them pointlessly bitchy to the MC, and try to "justify" it by them having tragic love... nah, you are just mean and rude person that is only nice to people you want to bang. Nice-girl pretty much.

Actually, while we are on the subject- all kid characters that are creepy perverts, and the FMC doesn't see it, but they are obviously mean to MC. Never found it funny, only annoying. Also, slightly weird? Like I knew perverted kids, but they never were perverted in this way... also being blind to kids being shitty annoys me to no end, and makes me think less of the FMC.

Actually scratch that, I hate brat characters in general. They are not interesting, nor deep... their only characteristic is they are kids that someone hurt, and MC can make them better by being a shitty father figure enabling their battiness.