Thoughts on a Synopsis

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
I just did some editing on my Synopsis, and rewrote a decent portion of it, including re-arranging the first sentence to fit neatly before the "Read More" prompt.

It got me thinking, about what makes up a good synopsis, and how much information should be included. Where is the line between spoiler and summary so someone knows what to expect? How long should one be? Lots of questions that are probably ambiguous with answers that likely vary from story to story.

I'm curious to see other's opinions. I'm not really sure enough myself to have any yet.

If you're curious here is my original one, followed by the new updated one.

Original said:
Taylor was born a Man, but wanted desperately to be a beautiful Woman. Aside from this, she was living an average life, working an average office job, saving up money trying to achieve her dreams.

However political strife, combined with prejudice, veiled with ‘public safety’ as an excuse would turn a routine grocery store stop, into a brutal murder when all she wanted to do was use the bathroom.

Taylor’s tormented spirit has an encounter with the so-called ‘Goddess of Death’ who identifies herself as Izanami. Given a second chance at a life, in exchange for ‘serving’ her, she cautiously accepts and finds herself transported to a new world where she’s become a ‘Vampiric Succubus’.

While some elements seem right out of an RPG game others are ambiguous or more realistic. Even though she has some powerful abilities, and a few ‘cheat’ type skills, she learns quickly that this world is not a game, after succumbing to her emotions and putting herself in a vulnerable position she is forced to fight, killing for the first time while narrowly escaping the encounter.

Now she must deal with her emotions, reconcile her relationship with death, life, and love, while exploring a completely strange world, where despite her ‘cheat’ skills, she can’t speak, read, or write the language, until she learns it the hard way.

Version 2 said:
Born a Man, but desperately wanting to be a beautiful Woman, Taylor was living an average life, at an average office job, saving money to achieve her dreams. Until she was Murdered.

Brutally murdered by a prejudiced group of people whose hate was fueled by transphobic rhetoric and misinformation, for simply trying to use the women's bathroom, her tormented spirit has an encounter with the so-called ‘Goddess of Death’ who identifies herself as Izanami.

Cautiously accepting an offer for a second life, where her heart's desire as a Woman will be granted, in exchange for serving Izanami in some as of yet unspecified way, Taylor finds herself transported to a new world where she’s become a ‘Vampiric Succubus’.

Some elements seem right out of an RPG game, others are ambiguous or more realistic, she has some powerful abilities, and a few ‘cheat’ type skills, accompanied by emotional trauma from her Murder. After succumbing to her emotions and putting herself in a vulnerable position she is forced to fight, killing for the first time while narrowly escaping the encounter.

This new world is not a game, she must learn to take it seriously if she wishes to survive. Dealing with her emotions, and reconciling her relationship with death, life, and love, while exploring a completely strange world, where despite her ‘cheat’ skills, she can’t speak, read, or write the language, until she learns it the hard way.

This is my first attempt at writing a story. Check the Forward for details. Thank you for looking at my story, have a wonderful day! ^.^

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
I'm not that good at making a good synopsis too, but this is what I learned after searching some famous writers' opinions/suggestions

A Rule for making a good synopsis:
- Make it as Simple as possible
- Can Make the Reader Curious about it, by giving some mysteries/light spoilers

You can make the summary of the story or take out the conversation inside of the novels
As for my choices, I think the second one is more interesting, but you should decrease the number of words that used.:blob_salute:

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
Although the site calls it a synopsis, it’s really a blurb. You don’t need to enter a lot of what you wrote. The blurb can be simple, just your stories premise with a couple of details.

{
Born a woman in a man’s body, Taylor worked long hours to fulfill her dreams—until a transphobic group of people brutally murdered her.

After dying for using a women’s restroom, the Goddess of Death, Izanami, offers her a deal. A chance at a second life, where Taylor can finally live her life as the woman she’s always been. But it comes at a price.

When the Goddess calls, Taylor must respond.

Transported to a world built on RPG elements, Taylor has to master her identity as a Vampiric Succubus while battling the trauma of her murder. Because the new world’s not a game, and her survival’s not guaranteed.
}

I took your blurbs and wrote something that I think will fit. If you like it, feel free to use it.

kola

I just did some editing on my Synopsis, and rewrote a decent portion of it, including re-arranging the first sentence to fit neatly before the "Read More" prompt.

It got me thinking, about what makes up a good synopsis, and how much information should be included. Where is the line between spoiler and summary so someone knows what to expect? How long should one be? Lots of questions that are probably ambiguous with answers that likely vary from story to story.

I'm curious to see other's opinions. I'm not really sure enough myself to have any yet.

If you're curious here is my original one, followed by the new updated one.
I agree with your query, as each time I decided to rewrite my synopsis it change so much, that I feel strange,

JayDirex

Below is a link to my post on synopsis formula, FEEL FREE TO SHORTEN as you need. @Freesia.Cutepearl @kola @NotYourTypicalMAN

Freesia.Cutepearl

Although the site calls it a synopsis, it’s really a blurb. You don’t need to enter a lot of what you wrote. The blurb can be simple, just your stories premise with a couple of details.
I took your blurbs and wrote something that I think will fit. If you like it, feel free to use it.
Thanks for the feedback.

I do like the idea of it being a bit shorter, I like some of how you arranged it, especially the first three sentences(not lines of text), really demonstrates something I lack, how to convey information in fewer words. I tend to be overly verbose.

Some things I don't like, just because they 'feel' like the fit exactly, to me, but that's with the bias of knowing the long term story, and not really knowable in the beginning. Which brings to mind another issue in summarizing I'm unsure about, when the words fit but don't convey an accurate tone. The part about coming at a price, and having to answer when called, while completely accurate wording, to me feels completely off in tone but I can't tell if it's just information bias or something else.

Also, something about the very last sentence, while the wording fits accurately, feels, weird in some way I can't put my finger on.

I can't count how many times I've rewrote sentences when editing chapters now because of stuff like that.

I definitely feel like the bit of information about not just 'knowing' the language is important because it seems an often handwaved away problem. But maybe it's not as important as I imagine? Though it will be a major element for the first bit of the story it will eventually be overcome. This is what I mean, how do you decide?!

Edit: Merged my previous reply here
Freesia.Cutepearl said:
Below is a link to my post on synopsis formula...
I'll check it out, thank you!
Edit: Having read the thread now, I'm not sure how to apply your template properly. I replied over there.

Last edited:

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
Thanks for the feedback.

I do like the idea of it being a bit shorter, I like some of how you arranged it, especially the first three sentences(not lines of text), really demonstrates something I lack, how to convey information in fewer words. I tend to be overly verbose.

Some things I don't like, just because they 'feel' like the fit exactly, to me, but that's with the bias of knowing the long term story, and not really knowable in the beginning. Which brings to mind another issue in summarizing I'm unsure about, when the words fit but don't convey an accurate tone. The part about coming at a price, and having to answer when called, while completely accurate wording, to me feels completely off in tone but I can't tell if it's just information bias or something else.

Also, something about the very last sentence, while the wording fits accurately, feels, weird in some way I can't put my finger on.

I can't count how many times I've rewrote sentences when editing chapters now because of stuff like that.

I definitely feel like the bit of information about not just 'knowing' the language is important because it seems an often handwaved away problem. But maybe it's not as important as I imagine? Though it will be a major element for the first bit of the story it will eventually be overcome. This is what I mean, how do you decide?!

Born a Man, but desperately wanting to be a beautiful Woman, Taylor was living an average life, at an average office job, saving money to achieve her dreams. Until she was Murdered.

Brutally murdered by a prejudiced group of people whose hate was fueled by transphobic rhetoric and misinformation, for simply trying to use the women's bathroom, her tormented spirit has an encounter with the so-called ‘Goddess of Death’ who identifies herself as Izanami.

Cautiously accepting an offer for a second life, where her heart's desire as a Woman will be granted, in exchange for serving Izanami in some as of yet unspecified way, Taylor finds herself transported to a new world where she’s become a ‘Vampiric Succubus’.

Some elements seem right out of an RPG game, others are ambiguous or more realistic, she has some powerful abilities, and a few ‘cheat’ type skills, accompanied by emotional trauma from her Murder. After succumbing to her emotions and putting herself in a vulnerable position she is forced to fight, killing for the first time while narrowly escaping the encounter.

This new world is not a game, she must learn to take it seriously if she wishes to survive. Dealing with her emotions, and reconciling her relationship with death, life, and love, while exploring a completely strange world, where despite her ‘cheat’ skills, she can’t speak, read, or write the language, until she learns it the hard way.

I’ve included your updated blurb, and I’ll explain the reasoning behind my edits.

I removed the part of her saving money because it’s not that important. Actually, in my version of the blurb, you can remove “long hours,” and it would fit better. We only need to know that she is working hard to fulfill her dreams; this includes: saving money, working on appearance, her lifestyle, etc. We know she is doing everything she can to fulfill her dreams—leave the details to the imagination in your blurb, flesh them out in your story.

Transphobic already implies they hold a prejudice. Their reasoning for being transphobic is not essential, nor should you share it in your blurb unless those characters themselves have any further role in the story.

Is Izanami the Goddess of Death or not? Unless one of your story’s central themes is uncovering Izanami’s identity, there is no reason to keep it vague. Uncertainty outside of a plot point you’re going to solve using concrete steps makes writing weak. In your blurb you need to take a stand. Your blurb should be sharp.

You introduce the world as having RPG elements, which implies a progression in skills, leveling, and power. The details of whether she has a cheat or unique ability, can speak the language or not, and has to kill should be fleshed out within the book itself.

We all have emotions, so you don’t need to tell us that Taylor does as well. Show the emotions she goes through when necessary based on her situation. You’ve already stated that she is traumatized by her murder, and as humans, we can understand how much it would affect her.

Anyways, that’s my reasoning behind the edit. Of course, I’m not telling you to accept the reasons, nor am I pushing you to change anything. You can pick and choose whatever you like or throw it all in the garbage bin. It’s your story, so you should write it how you want.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
My mom taught me that asking questions will entice someone to pay attention. It's also a good way to let the reader know what to expect without giving away too much of the story. You can use this a template:

How will [Character(s)] [Overcome or a synonym for overcome] [Obstacle]?

JayDirex

I revised it again. and this time I REMOVED the passive voice, and all elements that simply do not need to be in a blurb/synopsis.

Born a Man, but desperately wanting to be a beautiful Woman, Taylor lived an average life with an average job. But one fateful day she was brutally murdered by a group of transphobic, hate-filled, people. Once dead, her tormented spirit encountered a so-called ‘Goddess of Death’ who identified herself as Izanami.

Taylor cautiously accepts an offer for a second life, where her heart's desire as a Woman will be granted. In exchange, she is committed to serving Izanami in some unknown/unspecified way. Afterward, Taylor is transported to a new world where she becomes a ‘Vampiric Succubus’.

In this new world, some RPG elements like “cheat skills” exist. But Taylor’s life is no game. She must learn to take it seriously if she wishes to survive. Dealing with her emotions, and reconciling her relationship with death, life, and love, while exploring a completely strange world. And despite of her new-found ‘skills,’ she can’t speak, read, or write the language, until she learns it the hard way.

@Freesia.Cutepearl @UYScuti

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
I revised it again. and this time I REMOVED the passive voice, and all elements that simply do not need to be in a blurb/synopsis.

Born a Man, but desperately wanting to be a beautiful Woman, Taylor lived an average life with an average job. But one fateful day she was brutally murdered by a group of transphobic, hate-filled, people. Once dead, her tormented spirit encountered a so-called ‘Goddess of Death’ who identified herself as Izanami.

Taylor cautiously accepts an offer for a second life, where her heart's desire as a Woman will be granted. In exchange, she is committed to serving Izanami in some unknown/unspecified way. Afterward, Taylor is transported to a new world where she becomes a ‘Vampiric Succubus’.

In this new world, some RPG elements like “cheat skills” exist. But Taylor’s life is no game. She must learn to take it seriously if she wishes to survive. Dealing with her emotions, and reconciling her relationship with death, life, and love, while exploring a completely strange world. And despite of her new-found ‘skills,’ she can’t speak, read, or write the language, until she learns it the hard way.

@Freesia.Cutepearl @UYScuti

Its much better. I still question whether Izanami’s status should remain open. If it’s open like that, as a reader, I expect the author to close that at some point, and I’m not sure if the author intends to dedicate a large portion of the story to that.

The reason I don’t like calling her life average is because it detracts from her struggle. As a trans-woman, her life is anything but ordinary. Ignoring any outside pressures, the anxiety she feels herself would be hard to go through, so calling it an average life doesn’t fit. And calling it an average life removes the further character development opportunities the author has. After all, it’s hard to show internal conflict when the MC has been average across the board.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Oh my god so many replies! Thank you all! I was just hoping to learn more and exchange ideas and this has blown me away, honestly.

I removed the part of her saving money because it’s not that important.
...We know she is doing everything she can to fulfill her dreams—leave the details to the imagination in your blurb, flesh them out in your story.
Ah! You are very right, It's not really important. Only that she's working to fulfill her dreams.

...Their reasoning for being transphobic is not essential, nor should you share it in your blurb unless those characters themselves have any further role in the story.
Yeah, makes complete sense. I think I was trying to be dramatic while writing, but that's not really important here. I just kind of, was writing how I wrote when making chapters by habit, I guess.

Is Izanami the Goddess of Death or not? Unless one of your story’s central themes is uncovering Izanami’s identity, there is no reason to keep it vague. Uncertainty outside of a plot point you’re going to solve using concrete steps makes writing weak. In your blurb you need to take a stand. Your blurb should be sharp.
This, now. Is indeed a hint, that there is more going on there, that will be explored. However in the immediate context, it's just what she proclaimed as one her favorite identities. I need to go back and edit the the prologue writing at some point but here's the relevant quote:

As her sickly sweet smile expands to slightly show her teeth, Izanami explains, “Some call me the god of death. I’ve been given many names & depictions over the eons, this is one of my favorites from your world. I can take your essence and remake you. I can’t send you back to your world, as you were, nor as you will be, at least for quite some time. Your old form is gone forever. I am not without compassion, the tragedy of your death, and the love and hatred within you will become your strength, and my tools.”

You introduce the world as having RPG elements, which implies a progression in skills, leveling, and power. The details of whether she has a cheat or unique ability, can speak the language or not, and has to kill should be fleshed out within the book itself.
This is.. ugh, it's hard to avoid spoilers, so, all I can say without them is, it's very, non tradition, no levels at all, only stats, and other.. weirdness.
It's going to be a subject before long, but here's more detail in a spoiler tag.
The more Lilith examines her 'abilities' and looks at the system, the more apparent it'll become that it's broken, as in, alpha PC game kind of broken, blatant omissions, weird inconsistencies, etc. She'll ask Izanami about it a few times in later meetings, initially just telling her it seems stupid, before she's figured out more about it. Izanami will tell her she didn't make it, and just 'snuck her in' but leave it at that until later. This will also tie in with the above thing where more details about her will start to surface, which will expose additional plot points that I'm not going to go into.

Edit: Also the fact she can't speak the language is both a "hook" by subverting a traditional hand-waved away sort of trope, as well as the first major roadblock she has to overcome, and will slow down the pace of the introduction of world elements to both avoid overloading information, as well allow me to refine things on a worldbuilding level while we follow the day to day progression and interactions with people. While she can use a limited form of telepathy to do some interaction, she needs to learn the language to truly become part of the world. It also forces me to think outside the box a lot of times. If she could speak the language there's little reason she couldn't already be immersed in training/learning to distract herself from her feelings like an addiction.

We all have emotions, so you don’t need to tell us that Taylor does as well. Show the emotions she goes through when necessary based on her situation. You’ve already stated that she is traumatized by her murder, and as humans, we can understand how much it would affect her.
Ah yeah, very true. Honestly I'm just trying to forshadow the Dark Elements, which will reach into Horror territory, which is linked to the whole "Terror" part in the title, which is both her own Terror as well as that which she ends up inflicting onto others. There's this whole weird duality going on between Love and Hate within her that is going to impact the world around her as she gets stronger.

Anyways, that’s my reasoning behind the edit. Of course, I’m not telling you to accept the reasons, nor am I pushing you to change anything. You can pick and choose whatever you like or throw it all in the garbage bin. It’s your story, so you should write it how you want.
I really appreciate the feedback! Thank you so much! I definitely want to incorporate some of everyone's ideas in my thought processes. Hopefully this helps others as well. (which is why I tried to start it like a discussion and not a "omg aaah help me" kind of post, because I want things for me and others to learn from and not just a freebie, if that makes sense?

I /really/ like your edits here! Holy sh-- sherbet, orange sherbet. Holy Orange Sherbet you're good.

Hopefully if I spend some time closely looking between your and everyone's edits I can learn a thing or two.

Also I replied to your other thread before I made my way here, apologies if I made things confusing.

Last edited:

Freesia.Cutepearl

The reason I don’t like calling her life average is because it detracts from her struggle. As a trans-woman, her life is anything but ordinary. Ignoring any outside pressures, the anxiety she feels herself would be hard to go through, so calling it an average life doesn’t fit. And calling it an average life removes the further character development opportunities the author has. After all, it’s hard to show internal conflict when the MC has been average across the board.

Oof! Missed this. You are right. Honestly I failed at wording here. I was thinking more 'relative' when I wrote it, as in, most people are grinding IRL to work towards things they want. The anxiety you speak of, in day to day life, is definitely going to be popping back into her head and plaguing her emotions even still for some time. Not specifically over the physical traits so much, rather about how she perceived people treating her back on earth.

I wanted to explore how, being murdered, and brought back to another world, even if it's finally given you something you wanted your entire old life, doesn't just magically erase emotions and feelings, and if anything the circumstances of her ending up where she is, have irreparably warped her mental state, and I want to try and explore what that might be like for her and how she deals with it and tries to 'fix' it, despite it being something that forever changed her mental state.

I expect it not be so great story telling at first, which is why I am doing it, in order to improve. Without going into too much details, I have my own issues there which make it rather hard to understand things about other people a lot of the time. But I find myself emotionally affected by characters in stories a lot, despite how my person to person interactions tend to go. So I want to explore doing several different kinds of character writing to hopefully get better at it. I intend to explore the mindstate of characters that come and go as well as the story progresses, not just Lilith.

Freesia.Cutepearl

I made a couple attempts at editing it(neither are live yet.)
Edit: Made the compact one live for now.

I tried really hard to follow the 4 steps from @JayDirex

As well as incorporating some of the changes from both Jay and @UYScuti

I have yet to do what you mentioned in the other thread of writing everything in detail to you as a DM, I've not have the time or energy yet.

Here are my two revisions, first is edits with some of the suggested changes and some of my own, the second is an attempt to shorten it by as much as possible. I spent a while just thinking about what to take out and what to leave. It feels like it leaves out way too much but.. idk. My very extremely overly verbose brain has a hard time with it.

Revision 3 said:
Born a Man, Taylor desperately wanted to be a beautiful Woman, she worked hard to make that reality. Until she was Murdered.

Brutally murdered by a transphobic group, for simply trying to use the women's restroom, her tormented spirit has an encounter with the so-called ‘Goddess of Death’ who identifies herself as Izanami.

After Taylor cautiously accepts Izanami’s offer for a second life with her heart’s desire as a woman granted, in exchange for being in her service, she finds herself in a new world as a ‘Vampiric Succubus’ with some powerful abilities, a few ‘cheat’ type skills, along with the emotional trauma from her Murder.

Succumbing to her emotions placing her in a vulnerable position she is forced to fight, killing for the first time while narrowly escaping. Brutal reality mixes with ambiguous RPG elements in this world, she must learn to take things seriously if she wishes to survive, while reconciling her relationship with death, life, and love, exploring the world while she can’t speak, read, or write the language, until she learns it the hard way.

Ultra Compact Attempt said:
Born a man, Taylor, worked hard to achieve her dream of being a woman. Until she was brutally murdered by a transphobic group. Her tormented spirit was given a second life as a 'Vampiric Succubus' by a so-called death goddess named Izanami. She is placed in a world with some ambiguous RPG elements, a handful of 'cheat' abilities, and no knowledge, she must learn the language, explore, reconcile her relationship with death, life, & love, but most of all, survive, for the world is not a game.

P.S. UYScuti incase you missed it, I edited my post two prior replying to you to address your comment about the language thing that I'd missed.

Thank you again to everyone for the replies and suggestions, and I hope that other people can learn something from our discussion as well. :blob_reach:

Last edited:

MajorKerina

I gotta admit the first one didn't make it clear to me that the character was murdered. When you got to the end of the first paragraph that was your Hook: Trans Woman (assuming that was the intent) is murdered. Beat. That second iteration was really good. But then it kinda gave me too much info.
Who did it? You don't need to give all the details. Evil people, bigots, murderers, some dark group. Depends on if they reappear in the narrative and need to be known.
What happened? Death Goddess rebrithed her.
What are the stakes? It could be worse than death and there are no do overs this time.

A synopsis should be cut to the marrow of the tale but give a taste of what people are in for. It is always a matter of practice and refinement, always feel free to rewrite it as you hit upon a perfect line or abbreviation.