Tips about "info dumps"

TheJudger

So, recently(real recently) i made a topic asking for help about dialogues. I read an excellent topic, but while it helped a lot me about this topic, it opened my mind to see that i'm doing too much "info dumps" on my story

Anyone has a topic or a book that helps with it to recommend me?

That helps with the "introduction of information" on an story, fluidly, without making it too massive and turning it only in an "info dump" that its whatever.

Like, i need certain information to be introduced in an specific time, but none of the characters has that information besides the Main Character, and the only way to show that information is Saying, not Showing, cause only showing will not capture all the information that is needed to fully understand what i need the readers to understand.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
Other than searching on Youtube there's only a little advice I can give based on what you've told us.

Have the scene with the info accomplish multiple objectives at the same time other than just the info. What changes could take place at the same time? How can you build tension, or make it fun?
Break up the info into more digestible chunks, have other things happen alongside it. Or you could make it stand out based on an interesting way of presentation.

A better writer than me could give better advice, but that's what I got.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So, recently(real recently) i made a topic asking for help about dialogues. I read an excellent topic, but while it helped a lot me about this topic, it opened my mind to see that i'm doing too much "info dumps" on my story

That helps with the "introduction of information" on an story, fluidly, without making it too massive and turning it only in an "info dump" that its whatever.

Like, i need certain information to be introduced in an specific time, but none of the characters has that information besides the Main Character, and the only way to show that information is Saying, not Showing, cause only showing will not capture all the information that is needed to fully understand what i need the readers to understand.
almost anything by Brandon Sanderson is an info dump. He makes up for it with excellent world building and overall writing.The Way of Kings series of his in particular is a perfect example. You'll discover some detail about the world in almost every other sentence written in there. Its saving grace is these info dumps are INTERESTING.

Even the fucking currency is such a big part of the world's culture. Not only is it used as money, its also LIGHT. Just...pieces of gems encased in glass, able to absorb energy from storms to give off small to large amounts of light depending on size and quality. Like, its INTRINSIC to the culture.

So yeah, just a small example of how info dumps and world building can go hand in hand. Brandon is a very good author, i suggest lookin up videos and articles about him.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
If only your main character has the information, then worm it in with his normal speech or inner dialog when something related comes up.

If he's trying to barter with a trader you can talk about the coins and their super secret origin. If he's fighting a dragon he can taunt it about it's race's less than pure origins.

It's a slower trickle of your worldbuilding, but I think it feels more natural.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I believe you have two problems that need addressing.

First is saying vs Showing.

Many get confused by this often thinking that saying is a complete taboo and everything needs to be shown. It is not -- some things are better shown than said\stated. Especially things that aren't outright obvious like emotions.

ex: "He was afraid I will stab him"

Here I am turning a good character-building or scene-setting event into a bland statement. This is the stuff "show not tell" warns you about. Don't tell emotions - show them. Don't tell inner thoughts (outside of relevant POV) - show them acting on them etc.

Likewise obvious clear things are absolutely fine being "Told"

"She wore a red dress" is fine as is most of the time, you don't need to go all picturesque on the colour unless it is used to show an emotion of the observer like "She wore a dress that appeared to be soaked in the blood of her victims". Here you aren't stating the colour of the dress, you are showing the emotions the colour incurs.

Knowing this you can decide how you can relay the information.
If it is something direct and discreet. "That is his car" "His name was Bob" "We are all dying tomorrow". Weave it into dialogue and force the character to say it. If POV permits have them think it for readers to learn.

If it is something more ambiguous "I love him" "She gives me goosebumps" "I am freaking out because we will die tomorrow" then it is often better to show it with character acting on it.

Edit: Keep your information relevant. You don't need to quote an entire bible when you need a particular verse at most. Get in, drop the breadcrumbs for readers to be curious about, state what needs to be stated and get the hell out. kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited:

Missivist

If only your main character has the information, then worm it in with his normal speech or inner dialog when something related comes up.
Just don't dump all the info in one place; put it where it will be relevant, and keep it interesting. You can always add an interesting scene with action that makes it relevant.

If the info is not relevant to any action within the story... no need for it! Tolkien built material for LOTR that helped build the world never went into those books. Later, someone else published it as The Silmarillion, because his notes were enough to fill a book. It helped the author frame the story, but the reader didn't need it. You can be selective and keep your secrets -- be mysterious! Until your heirs find your notes...

Dieter

the Writer
If the exposition isn't necessary for the plot progression, then you aren't obliged to insert it. Otherwise, depends on your judgement.

melchi

What is a custom title?
I like how dragoneye moon handles it. In places where there is heavy action there is no info dump. A chapter later the group of rangers has an after action review and talk about what worked and didn't work.

Some authors have characters that get a new ability mid-combat for example. Then they proceed to explain what it does.

Also, for litrpgs I find that trying to format an ability similar to what would be in an RPG tabletop book is a recognizable format. Like for spells they could have things like Range, Components, Effect. If all the spells are in that format it is easy to recognize. People like patterns.

D

Deleted member 54065

We all know the rules. Showing vs. Telling, and most would say that it's better to 'show' than to 'tell'.

Yes, I agree. However, in dealing with info dumps, I realized there should be a 'balance' between the two. You don't have to 'show' all, and likewise, you don't have to 'tell' all.

What do I mean by that? Well, I'm a fantasy writer, and really, fantasy writers often have this dillema of explaining the concepts of their stories either through 'showing' or 'telling'. But then, we are also limited by the words we can put in our chapters (too long and it will be tedious for their readers), and too much information can also confuse our audience.

So what do I do? I determine if the information I'll 'dump' is a major aspect of my work. See, there are 'major' concepts: those systems, traits, characteristics that make your story 'sell', or different from others. If it is a major one, then I'll show it through the characters' dialogues, or through their actions, or the combination of both. For minor concepts--or simply information that serves to 'support the setting' of the story, I just mention it in passing (tell).

For example: In my story, I focused more on the 'god-powers' of my characters, than the 'magic system' of their world. So, throughout my volumes, I showed how the 'god-powers' worked (not only in first several chapters; I unravelled the principle of how to get, improve and lose it through dialogues and actions), whereas the 'magic system' of six elements (fire, water, wind, earth, light and dark) are only mentioned in passing, just to let the reader know that there's something like that besides the god-powers.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

dont info dump to begin with. just sprinkle it slowly.

avaseofpeonies

your cool weird auntie

Does the MC have to keep this information from others for some reason? In that case, show the consequences of keeping the secret. Misunderstandings will arise, or others might start making plans based on false or incomplete information, and this will cause a conflict between the MC and others. You could write a scene where the MC has to persuade others while still withholding the information, and give the MC an internal struggle, while revealing the info to the reader through their thoughts.

Also, put a link to your story in your signature. That'll make it easier for people to help you more directly.

Le_ther

For worldbuilding info dumps.

Only add info relevant to the current situation or through interactions.

For example. A backstory of a certain place in your story, A stories of a legend a homeless person might say towards the mc, and maybe scattered writings or books in ruins.