Writing Tips on how to plan your story.

Zoey

Mustachu
So I've been having a bit of trouble planning my story. Right now my planning is a fuck ton of bolt points and that's not working real hot.
How do you plan your story? I bet anything is better than my bolt points. And I'm sure they're plenty of guides online but most of those make planning feel like a chore, which I guess it is. :blob_melt:

If I need to clarify anything just ask.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Planning? Planning is for amateurs. :blob_evil_two: I get the majority of ideas while writing. Here a scene, there a scene.

You have to roll over the plot like this ...
1573431701458.png

Zoey

Mustachu
I actually just found the "How do you plan out your story?" thread so I guess this thread is pointless. oops :blob_teehee:

If you still want to give some advise feel free.

MrDarkness1234

Dark Matter of All Evil
First of all I would recommend you to have a beginning point and end point then after that write charaters that feels real to you cause if you do your plot will be a hell a lot better for it.

And also don't be scraced to rewrite it cause it will help you in the long run.

That's just my 2 bits on the topic so see ya im going to write my story:blobthumbsup:

Yorth

Swordman
Usually, when you start a story, you just have this scene that appears in your mind that makes you go "Woah", or this drifting thought that makes you think "What if this character did this..." and you start writing. This is totally normal. What you want to do next is explore this idea on your own, without publishing anything. Just writing and writing and writing all sort of stuff related to that first drifting thought or marvelous scene. At some point along the way, after you've got to know your characters, after you've got to know your world, your mind start drifting to this inevitable ending, and that's when you know you got it. After that, everything is easy.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So I've been having a bit of trouble planning my story. Right now my planning is a fuck ton of bolt points and that's not working real hot.
How do you plan your story? I bet anything is better than my bolt points. And I'm sure they're plenty of guides online but most of those make planning feel like a chore, which I guess it is. :blob_melt:

See i know the big events i want. All i do is ask, "well how i do i get to them?" And its easy since i know plenty of other stories and take examples from them.

Also it helps that my main story is fucking bonkers and i can literally do whatever i want. Hell, MC kidnapped a king, got high with him, and tried smoking the guy like a giant blunt because he looked like a joint rolled up in a blanket.

Needless to say, i have a lot of freedom. Just work on details like who, how and why. If you get stressed about it that wont do you any good. It's not actually very hard, you just make it hard

Scribbler

My advice will be a bit counter intuitive. I wrote a 90 page story that was well planned out and all I used were bullet points for each chapter. Beyond the current chapter I had no idea where I was going, but I made it work regardless.

I think an important factor for writing a well realized/planned story is the scope. If the scope of the story is beyond your imagination or capability then of course it won't turn out well. Before writing my 90 page story, I wrote a 40 page story. I didn't work nearly as perfectly as my 90 page story, but it still worked. My point is that it's best to start small and work your way up.

Why do people plan things out? Because it saves time. When I was writing my 40 page story I didn't even use bullet points. But I was able to do the job regardless because of how short the chapters were, but when it came time to extend my chapters with my 90 page story I started wondering what would happen next in the middle of chapters, halting my moment completely. My point is you only need to plan as far as you need and as far as you need is defined by factors like how long the story is or how well you can recall what you were trying to do after writing so and so for a certain amount of time. So obviously if you're writing a 200 or longer story you may in fact need something more than bullet points.

Now let's define a well planned story. It requires a well realized plot that starts from chapter one. Now that sounds like a hard thing to do, or nearly impossible if you're only writing it chapter by chapter, but I was able to do it. I started my story by introducing the world and characters, but that wasn't the real, real start of my story. The story actually started when I introduced the main characters goal and the story ended when he achieved it. Now that may sound boring at first glance but it's not about what my character literally does, it's about what it represents. My MC wanted to get better loot in a video game. The journey was all the things the MC had to go through to get it. All the choices that had to be made. My MC was fairly clever but he was unable to obtain what he wanted without the help of others. It's not a very original theme, but none really are. To have a well realized story, you need to have a theme or character arc/s. But you can't do it to the point that it's obvious or unnatural or shoved in for no reason. You have to write the story by itself without having a specific theme in mind prior to writing. Like have it in the back of your mind but don't let it be the main focus.

Edit: I accidentally posted this while trying copy/paste a part of it before I could finish my point, so I'm just going to leave it as is.

BOWIESENSEI

I just have a dot point of significant moments that I know for a fact will happen one way or the other and then write and insert little things in-between as I go along. Some ideas pop up as I'm writing. Think of it as a big dot point and then several smaller ones you can add to your leisure that lead up to it.

BOWIESENSEI

I just have a dot point of significant moments that I know for a fact will happen one way or the other and then write and insert little things in-between as I go along. Some ideas pop up as I'm writing. Think of it as a big dot point and then several smaller ones you can add to your leisure that lead up to it.
Also with Contention Of Spheres I made it where it was set in short stories that had an overarching narrative connecting them. It's an easy way to add timeskips between them and stuff like that. I also find it easier to plan around rather than having too much filler forced in there.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
The thing is, what type of story are you planning to write? I had trouble solidifying a story when I tried so hard plotting it out. The thing is, I'm planning on doing a webnovel. Webnovels have a certain flexibility to them that are not the same with traditional novels. I think, in terms of webnovels, the best way to plan it out is per arc. Jot down beginning, middle, and end. Then work around that. I'm writing something right now but haven't really posted anything yet so I can't really say how great this method is but it's simple and it helps if, besides per arc, you have a concrete idea where your story is heading at the end of it all.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I just don't plan much tbh... If anything, I think about my story a bit during shower and that's about it.

I tried planning more before, and what I found out was that I ended up hating my writing as it didn't reflect what I properly wanted to convey and just... Wasn't that good overall, it was just so much better in my head than it was on paper that I was like... Bleh, screw this plot, I'll start a new one from scratch.

Sometimes I think of a new scene and go like... "Oh, this would be a nice way to go about it", so I try moving my story in a way that would lead to this scene...

If anything, I already have the ending of my story planned, as well as the backstory of the main character... The rest is kinda floating with a small idea here and there... I just write it on the spot, I like the freedom of not having too many plans~

LWFlouisa

I plan my short stories like a 7 point structure, with each plot point having a series of thumbnail sketches to give me a visual representation of where I want the story to go.

The plus side is these can later become concept art for graphic novel script later.

For longer works, sometimes that might be several seven point structures with thumbnail sketches, because each chapter is relatively self-contained.

LostinMovement

Imagine an opening scene, a middle scene and an ending scene. Connect them. That's how you get a general plot. You can always adjust, edit and rewrite the parts in between.