Titles, and how far do they affect a novel

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I'm a bit baffled. Why does no one mention ratings and reviews as a major factor that affects the novel's popularity?
Ratings are crap and say nothing about a book. Reviews are unreliable too. They are biased and unfair most of the time. I have read 1-star books that are better than 5 stars. All because there was a rape or one lead did something gruesome, like killing someone off. People hate it, thus they downvote the book into oblivion. Peoples' judging abilities are unreliable.

And don't get me started on grammar/ratings...

I mean, some ratings are right and you go wow, okay, not for me. But some are completely out of it. Especially when you dive into the psychological genre tags.

Teanam

Surprise, they're the same book

Make those titles long and easy lads, Webnovel readers are here for junk food, not good food

Well, with that example, it also depends a bit, I think. I would never ever even think about clicking on the second title. I'd at least be a bit curious about the first one before immediately closing the tab again after looking at the synopsis and tags, though. But that's just with my preferences in what I want to read.

Ratings are crap and say nothing about a book. Reviews are unreliable too. They are biased and unfair most of the time.
Check the number of likes on the reviews and whether it corresponds to the total readers or not.
But usually if I see a book with less than a 3.5~4 rating with 30 to 40 ratings, I know it might be 'decent' with some bullshit along the way. I then check the reviews to know about the bullshit. If I see anything with less than a 3.5, that's usually an automatic shit-tier. Though, I check the reviews as well to find out why.

SailusGebel

Ratings are crap and say nothing about a book. Reviews are unreliable too. They are biased and unfair most of the time. I have read 1-star books that are better than 5 stars. All because there was a rape or one lead did something gruesome, like killing someone off. People hate it, thus they downvote the book into oblivion. Peoples' judging abilities are unreliable.

I mean, some ratings are right and you go wow, okay, not for me. But some are completely out of it. Especially when you dive into the psychological genre tags.
Yeah-yeah, everyone says it, yet some people won't even look at a novel with a 'low' rating. People who say that ratings don't matter are either lying to themselves or don't understand that AVERAGE readers do care for ratings and reviews.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Check the number of likes on the reviews and whether it corresponds to the total readers or not.
But usually if I see a book with less than a 3.5~4 rating with 30 to 40 ratings, I know it might be 'decent' with some bullshit along the way. I then check the reviews to know about the bullshit. If I see anything with less than a 3.5, that's usually an automatic shit-tier. Though, I check the reviews as well to find out why.
I briefly scroll around the reviews, but usually, it is just to go to find a chapter. Depending on the site I am on. Most of the time, the reviews are too vague to even say anything. My favs are, this is shit don't read. Or it has x and y dropping it. I am like ok, but how was it portrayed?? So, I have learned to just ignore it. But that is just me.

Especially with the random 1 stars being thrown at people's faces without there being 2-3 stars votes. Or anything to back them up. Maybe when they are in a majority, I will pay attention.

Though being honest, I have seen books with 4 stars that are shit-tier in my opinion. xP Barely readable too.

Yeah-yeah, everyone says it, yet some people won't even look at a novel with a 'low' rating. People who say that ratings don't matter are either lying to themselves or don't understand that AVERAGE readers do care for ratings and reviews.
Sadly, this is true. I was talking about myself, and why I don't care about ratings when I read. But I guess I am not the average reader, but there are readers out there like me. I doubt I am the only one.

Average readers don't review, rate, or comment, and I am part of those too lol. I am a lurker when I read, sadly.

So, for me, it is Cover>Tags>Synopsis>Chapters. I don't look at ratings/reviews. Most books don't even have ratings. And reviews are a dream for most. So unless people are angry/thrilled, they won't rate/review.

My books have at least ratings/reviews on all the sites I currently have posted. They are important for some, just not for everyone out there. c: I was answering why no one was saying reviews/ratings. This may be why. Well, for me at least.

SailusGebel

I briefly scroll around the reviews, but usually, it is just to go to find a chapter. Depending on the site I am on. Most of the time, the reviews are too vague to even say anything. My favs are, this is shit don't read. Or it has x and y dropping it. I am like ok, but how was it portrayed?? So, I have learned to just ignore it. But that is just me.

Especially with the random 1 stars being thrown at people's faces without there being 2-3 stars votes. Or anything to back them up. Maybe when they are in a majority, I will pay attention.

Though being honest, I have seen books with 4 stars that are shit-tier in my opinion. xP Barely readable too.

Sadly, this is true. I was talking about myself, and why I don't care about ratings when I read. But I guess I am not the average reader, but there are readers out there like me. I doubt I am the only one.

Average readers don't review, rate, or comment, and I am part of those too lol. I am a lurker when I read, sadly.

So, for me, it is Cover>Tags>Synopsis>Chapters. I don't look at ratings/reviews. Most books don't even have ratings. And reviews are a dream for most. So unless people are angry/thrilled, they won't rate/review.

My books have at least ratings/reviews on all the sites I currently have posted. They are important for some, just not for everyone out there. c: I was answering why no one was saying reviews/ratings. This may be why. Well, for me at least.
Just because I'm exaggerating doesn't mean you can't understand me. Average readers = majority(maybe the slight majority) of people are looking at ratings and reviews. It's a flawed instrument, but more people than not use it. Of course, it's not the only instrument they use, but trying to subtract ratings and reviews out of the equation is either a defense mechanism or a pure lie. Also, the fact that there are lots of silent readers in NO WAY contradicts what I've said. Can't silent readers look at other readers' ratings? They can, and they do.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Just because I'm exaggerating doesn't mean you can't understand me. Average readers = majority(maybe the slight majority) of people are looking at ratings and reviews. It's a flawed instrument, but more people than not use it.
Hm... I know what you meant by average readers.

I never said people don't look at reviews/ratings. I just said I don't. And I am sure I am not the only one out there. So the numbers are unreliable.

Of course, it's not the only instrument they use, but trying to subtract ratings and reviews out of the equation is either a defense mechanism or a pure lie.
I don't use it as a defense mechanism or a lie. It is just the type of reader I am. I am attracted by the cover and chapters more than anything else.

lso, the fact that there are lots of silent readers in NO WAY contradicts what I've said. Can't silent readers look at other readers' ratings? They can, and they do.
Wasn't trying to contradict you. Was just saying that silent readers skew the ratings/reviews. If everyone did so, it would be reliable. Otherwise, it is an unreliable way to judge a book. Sadly, it is why the system is flawed. That is all I am saying. I rather read the first few chapters than read a review.

But you are right, most people read reviews and ratings. Just not all of them.

LostLibrarian

The first thing you have to do is to make a reader want to click on your novel.

Title and cover will be always seen, so they are rather important. Following that you have the main genres and chapter titles shown when you update. Those are the main things that will push a reader to click your novel.

Afterwards, there is stuff like tags, synopsis, ratings, and reviews. Although a lot of popular novels also have "rather low" ratings of 3.X. So while ratings are still important, I would argue, that "being popular" trumps ratings. Though good ratings help to get popular in the first place.

In the end, I wouldn't say there is one thing that determines success. It's the overall impression your presentation leaves on the reader. If you have a great cover and title, people might suffer through a few more bad chapters before they drop it, while fantastic writing with bad title might attract less people but keep more.

There are also rather short titles in the Top-lists on SH. So it obviously isn't only about the length or the title impression. Instead, there are a lot of other factors as well. Stuff like chapter length, release rate, release time, or the actual writing get more and more important the longer your story goes on.

So yeah, "Reincarnated as a dark fairy, I used my dating game system to build a yuri harem inside a world run by zombie lolis" with a "waifu cover" will most likely attract more readers than a one-word title without cover. But if your writing is shit, you'll become one of the smut-stories that start fast and plateau even faster...

SailusGebel

Hm... I know what you meant by average readers.

I never said people don't look at reviews/ratings. I just said I don't. And I am sure I am not the only one out there. So the numbers are unreliable.

I don't use it as a defense mechanism or a lie. It is just the type of reader I am. I am attracted by the cover and chapters more than anything else.

Wasn't trying to contradict you. Was just saying that silent readers skew the ratings/reviews. If everyone did so, it would be reliable. Otherwise, it is an unreliable way to judge a book. Sadly, it is why the system is flawed. That is all I am saying. I rather read the first few chapters than read a review.

But you are right, most people read reviews and ratings. Just not all of them.
Well, there can be a VERY objective part in a review, where people describe grammar.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Well, there can be a VERY objective part in a review, where people describe grammar.
That is the only helpful part of a review. Is it readable or not. Some peeps though are extremely harsh on this too. They say it's unreasonable grammar but then I try the first chapter and see that there are mistakes, but nothing unreadable about it. :blob_blank: And best part the grammar gets better with each chapter.

We are too harsh with one another to be honest.

SailusGebel

That is the only helpful part of a review. Is it readable or not. Some peeps though are extremely harsh on this too. They say it's unreasonable grammar but then I try the first chapter and see that there are mistakes, but nothing unreadable about it. :blob_blank: And best part the grammar gets better with each chapter.

We are too harsh with one another to be honest.
And then there is my shit story that got 1 review stating my story had bad grammar out of 20 reviews. Guess what? My grammar was(and is right now) shit.

We aren't harsh enough with one another to be honest.

LostLibrarian

I mean the effect of grammar and ratings/reviews also vary heavily with your target audience. Your "typical smut story" often has worse ratings than comparable stories with a more serious topic. We also get "3.X" stories in the top-lists of this site, complemented by tons of 1 and 2 star reviews as well.

On the other hand, a grimdark non-harem fantasy with focus on interpersonal drama might attract a different mindset and a handful bad reviews thanks to grammar problems might sink the story...

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
And then there is my shit story that got 1 review stating my story had bad grammar out of 20 reviews. Guess what? My grammar was(and is right now) shit.

We aren't harsh enough with one another to be honest.
We are and aren't. It's a coin flip, I guess. Which is why I don't pay mind to reviews. xD I give it a go and if I like it, i stick with it.

Comiak

Foxgirl enthusiast

Yeah, ratings should honestly be renamed to the like button because that's honestly what it is; instead of stars have thumbs up. It can even function the same but it as it is now it lies to people. People will rate one star simply for the fact that you dared to have something in your story.

Kenjona

I'm a bit baffled. Why does no one mention ratings and reviews as a major factor that affects the novel's popularity?
Probably because some do not actually read reviews or look at ratings except when searching, and then it is used as a way to sort what you are looking for. Or at least that is the way it is for me, by the time I am even near looking at a review or a rating, I am already reading the first chapter, or made a decision not to read it.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
For the main topic... I rather think advertising is more important. I obviously don't know which stories you were looking at, so I can't say for certain. But the main reason a decent story doesn't get attention in my opinion is due to; poor scheduling, not appearing on the recommended list of NU or SH, or because they didn't tag the story. If there's a low number of views, it's because nobody has seen it. That's all there is to it.

I don't look at ratings/reviews. Most books don't even have ratings. And reviews are a dream for most. So unless people are angry/thrilled, they won't rate/review.
This. Almost none of the books I read have reviews, and the ratings are all camaraderie 5 stars or troll 1 stars. Neither helps me judge a book. Even the number of favorites is pretty useless. How other people measure a story is practically meaningless to me.

People who say that ratings don't matter are either lying to themselves or don't understand that AVERAGE readers do care for ratings and reviews.
They DO matter, of course. They can help someone looking at an already popular story understand why it's loved or hated. However-
Just because I'm exaggerating doesn't mean you can't understand me. Average readers = majority(maybe the slight majority) of people are looking at ratings and reviews. It's a flawed instrument, but more people than not use it. Of course, it's not the only instrument they use, but trying to subtract ratings and reviews out of the equation is either a defense mechanism or a pure lie. Also, the fact that there are lots of silent readers in NO WAY contradicts what I've said. Can't silent readers look at other readers' ratings? They can, and they do.
And this is the biggest thing- The reason you aren't getting the answer you want is because you're asking the wrong people. The 'average reader' group is NOT the same group as the 'average author'. You are asking authors how they look for books, but authors by nature DO NOT have the same tastes as people who don't write.

Additionally, even if an author sees reviews and ratings, their instinct is to remember the reviews and ratings on their own story and think, "This is not a reliable measure. I need to judge it for myself." It's a bias, pure and simple. But that doesn't make it a lie, just an opinion.

SailusGebel

For the main topic... I rather think advertising is more important. I obviously don't know which stories you were looking at, so I can't say for certain. But the main reason a decent story doesn't get attention in my opinion is due to; poor scheduling, not appearing on the recommended list of NU or SH, or because they didn't tag the story. If there's a low number of views, it's because nobody has seen it. That's all there is to it.

This. Almost none of the books I read have reviews, and the ratings are all camaraderie 5 stars or troll 1 stars. Neither helps me judge a book. Even the number of favorites is pretty useless. How other people measure a story is practically meaningless to me.

They DO matter, of course. They can help someone looking at an already popular story understand why it's loved or hated. However-

And this is the biggest thing- The reason you aren't getting the answer you want is because you're asking the wrong people. The 'average reader' group is NOT the same group as the 'average author'. You are asking authors how they look for books, but authors by nature DO NOT have the same tastes as people who don't write.

Additionally, even if an author sees reviews and ratings, their instinct is to remember the reviews and ratings on their own story and think, "This is not a reliable measure. I need to judge it for myself." It's a bias, pure and simple. But that doesn't make it a lie, just an opinion.
You know, I wanted to give a wordy answer, but I understood that I wouldn't be able to phrase it well enough for others to understand my point. I guess it's one of these: 'people have different opinions' moments. So, I think I will stop here.