To MxF harem writers, what type of girls do you have in your harem?

ForestDweller

And how do you come up with them? Their personality, background, etc? Any specific inspirations?

CrusadeAgainstFurries

Supreme meme-lord
My harem consists of me, myself, and lastly: my other-self.

1610755492834.jpg

EternalSunset0

I dunno what MxF means, but I assume it means one male and multiple females? You can just get the roulette wheel of harem girl archetypes/MBTI and attach to a hair color lol. Or at least, that's the most basic part of it, the lazier way out.

What I focus more, on a personal experience basis with my story, is in addition to doing the roulette of archetypes, is giving them their individual personal conflicts that my male protagonist can help them with.

It can be a fear of failure, loneliness, being unable to get over the past, a feeling of insecurity because you feel that you're too bland, or just sheer oversentitivity, etc

You can try knowing yourself more and dividing your personal issues/flaws/insecurities among them in a way where they can be impacted by MC's decisions and vice versa.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
And how do you come up with them? Their personality, background, etc? Any specific inspirations?
I look at harem novels I like, then look at the person my harem's around, and just do it. The characters are all fictional and based on those personality-finding websites... hahaha...

EternalSunset0

Also, I forgot to answer the main question lol. As for the types of girls I have...

I have the strong but lonely action girl, the nice and well-liked but a bit of a doormat and insecure girl (also a bit of a simp), the loud, overly sensitive two-faced girl who has hidden insecurities and desires, and a shy little sister type who just craves for genuine love. Probably gonna add one or two more down the line. The story's not done, but I'm planning to stop at 4 or 5 girls. Yep. Probably people you've seen before if you watched a lot of anime.

The first girl's inspired by a combination of Emi Yusa, Kuroyukihime, and Julis from Asterisk War.
The second one has bits of Onodera, Sakura Matou, and Momo Hinamori.
The third one... I'm not so sure. Probably a bit of Rise from Persona 4 and Sayaka from Strike the Blood.
The fourth one, I am thinking Shiori from TWGOK and Tina Sprout from Black Bullet.

If I were to add some more girls to the harem from my existing characters, I'll probably consider the lewd, teasy sensei character or a sporty tomboy.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
I tend to select a personality or physical trait I like and expand from there. There can end up being some overlap of characteristics, but each one should be somewhat unique.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Why? Are you gonna steal my harem members after you learn of them and then do NTR?! No dare, no way! Cute and beautiful girls are all mine! hahaha! - Harem Protagonist... probably.

bigbear51

I think of girls I liked from anime/manga/light novels, and use the idea or design of them. Honestly, it's kind of plagiarism. So I don't recommend it that much if you're trying to be more respected.

After that, usually given them character traits or flaws that relate to the mc in one way or another. Usually it just turns into me thinking, then going "wouldn't it be funny if..." or "That could be interesting...".

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
Honestly, just go to tvtropes and check out a harem anime or light novel cast. You'll find plenty of stock to get ideas.

If you want to get ahem actual fully realized characters, try to draw inspiration from real humans? Mix and match. A highly driven, workaholic succubus, anyone? A shy and not so confident Knight, who nonetheless can shine given enough value? A very well endowed airhead demon, who is actually nice? Take a pick.

ForestDweller

I'm not asking for ideas. I just want to know what type of girls other writers have. I already have my own girls.

MDHWrites

I end up commonly going with an archtype and place in the world as the base and kind of just figuring out/discovering who the character is beyond that as I go. It has led to some VERY interesting turns in some of my books and in general matches my normal style of writing. I will say that the latter part of that, the place in the world, is very important to a harem character. It's important for characters in general but it's very easy to make a girl feel like they only have a life in the harem. That they were made solely for the MC's interests and any interests they may have are tertiary. Just one character feeling like this is bad but not catastrophic, but being lazy with one character can easily lead to that problem infecting the rest of the cast.

KyoruS

One thing you need to make sure when you're creating a harem-centered story is that the interaction between the girls matters, and should possibly develops their character. Let's say, there are three girls who are in love with the MC and they agree to share him and to get along with each other. One of the girls agrees, however, she still wants to be the MC's number one. So she might softly and hidingly try to damage the rest of the girl's reputation. Not too much to destroy the harem circle, but not too low to not ruin their reputation in the eyes of the MC. This will lead to an interesting dynamic between each girl and stray far away from the perverted harem cliche "everybody gets along".

Because in real-life harem, in the circles of the elites and powerful. There's a lot of political drama between the girl's harem.

ForestDweller

One thing you need to make sure when you're creating a harem-centered story is that the interaction between the girls matters, and should possibly develops their character. Let's say, there are three girls who are in love with the MC and they agree to share him and to get along with each other. One of the girls agrees, however, she still wants to be the MC's number one. So she might softly and hidingly try to damage the rest of the girl's reputation. Not too much to destroy the harem circle, but not too low to not ruin their reputation in the eyes of the MC. This will lead to an interesting dynamic between each girl and stray far away from the perverted harem cliche "everybody gets along".

Because in real-life harem, in the circles of the elites and powerful. There's a lot of political drama between the girl's harem.

I agree. I'm thinking a lot about that in my own harem story.

I don't necessarily want a political drama harem like you said, but I want every girl to react in their own unique way to the other girls. For example, I'm still thinking on how I would add a certain girl to the harem without earning the disapproval of the rest of the girls, due to her unique background and personality.

Though eventually, the end goal is for everyone to get along, seeing the others as sisters.

Stealthily trying to sabotage shit wouldn't be tolerated by the MC, since he detests snakes and backstabbers.

LinMeili

You have to get the right ingredients and cook👩‍🍳 it together well. Each harem member should bring something different to the table.
  • youngest, cute type
  • troublemaker type
  • stable older type
IMO, more than 3 is too difficult to do.:s_eek: