To readers who don’t like NTR

NTR

• Total voters

Dountmindme

You wot m8? You wanna go, huh? Come at me bro, y—
Please, tell me why you don’t like it? I‘m curious to why it gets so much hate.

One, tell me how you discovered NTR and what was your reaction. Two, share why you like or dislike it And/or what are your problems with it.

Also there 3 types of NTR. Which of the 3 do you dislike the most?

Netorare is adultery in general
Netori is when someone outside of the relationship is coercing adultery
Netorase is encouragement from within a relationship to commit cuckoldry

Last edited:

minacia

perpetually sour
I like NTR, but mostly because I like reading about affairs and that type of content. I think it's interesting and a mature topic that is relevant in a lot of real-world relationships.

I think the first story in this genre that left the strongest impression on me was this Oregairu fanfiction piece called The End of the Affair, which I thought was super fascinating from a psychological standpoint and something that I thought about for the longest time because the main couple go through "emotional cheating" rather than "physical cheating" -- which is something that I ponder a lot about for my own life.

In either case, I think the genre is interesting, for sure!

CL

I had to Google this to understand what NTR meant. This is what I got: "The NTR genre is propably the most controversial genre within anime and manga. If you havent heard of it yet i'll give you a quick explanation. NTR stands for netorare ( whatever that means ) die. Basically it involves emotional hurting the significant other and with this also the audience."

Is this for those into sadism and masochism. Am I wrong?

minacia

perpetually sour
I had to Google this to understand what NTR meant. This is what I got: "The NTR genre is propably the most controversial genre within anime and manga. If you havent heard of it yet i'll give you a quick explanation. NTR stands for netorare ( whatever that means ) die. Basically it involves emotional hurting the significant other and with this also the audience."

Is this for those into sadism and masochism. Am I wrong?
Um, my understanding is that it's basically just adultery.

Angry_Clown

It is a genre dedicated to the notion of "romance destruction". Not from the point of the perpetrator, but rather the victim. E.g. the person being cheated on. It is meant to incite anger, instill anguish and despair. People generally don't like feeling bad and dislike things that make them miserable. Thus, it will always be a marginalized niche genre.

it's basically just adultery
No, it's actually cuckolding. The MC is the person being cheated on in this case.

Dountmindme

I hate NTR, but it's nothing personal. I just hate everything.
Fair.
kek, hate everything.
I like NTR, but mostly because I like reading about affairs and that type of content. I think it's interesting and a mature topic that is relevant in a lot of real-world relationships.

I think the first story in this genre that left the strongest impression on me was this Oregairu fanfiction piece called The End of the Affair, which I thought was super fascinating from a psychological standpoint and something that I thought about for the longest time because the main couple go through "emotional cheating" rather than "physical cheating" -- which is something that I ponder a lot about for my own life.

In either case, I think the genre is interesting, for sure!
Yeah that’s one of the reasons I like reading it. I like it when the author delves into the psychological aspects of the drama. It’s really interesting to see how characters react and respond to this kind of stuff.

lehur

If your phone get stolen, are you smile or sad (go to amazon there a lot)
If your money get stolen, are you okay or oh my bad (go to your daddy ask him)
If your supposedly life partner get NTR-ed go to hell (I would rather she dead than she her with trash

minacia

perpetually sour
It is a genre dedicated to the notion of "romance destruction". Not from the point of the perpetrator, but rather the victim. E.g. the person being cheated on. It is meant to incite anger, instill anguish and despair. People generally don't like feeling bad and dislike things that make them miserable. Thus, it will always be a marginalized niche genre.

No, it's actually cuckolding. The MC is the person being cheated on in this case.
I think the definition is actually broader. To quote this blog: Japanese with Anime

Definition​

Although the term netorare can be quickly translated as "cuckolding," its definition is much more broad than that. That's because, in English, "cuckolding" only refers to a man's wife cheating on him with another guy. The cheated man labelled "cuckold."

In Japanese, netorare refers the act of someone "being taken (...to someone else's bed)." The genre can include a man's wife cheating on him, a woman's husband cheating on her. It can be their girlfriend, boyfriend. They don't even need to be actually dating: it could be somebody's childhood friend whom they never mustered the courage to ask out.

In fact, since the gist of it is just: character A has some feelings for character B, then character C comes and takes them away, it could be A's hot teacher that was taken away by someone. It could be their mother, father, daughter, son, sister, brother, etc. It's just a matter of framing the idea of them "being taken" by someone else.

For reference: watch Darling in the FranXX. (ugh... I can't believe I said those words in that order.)

A netorare scenario doesn't even need to be heterosexual.

In Netsuzou TRap -NTR- 捏造トラップ−NTR−, for example, the main theme of the story is that a girl has a boyfriend, but ends up falling with her best friend, who is also a girl. So it ends up being about two girls betraying both their boyfriends with each other.

Dountmindme

It is a genre dedicated to the notion of "romance destruction"
i basically call it dark romance. It’s why I liked watching something like “love is a lie”(anime).
If your phone get stolen, are you smile or sad (go to amazon there a lot)
If your money get stolen, are you okay or oh my bad (go to your daddy ask him)
If your supposedly life partner get NTR-ed go to hell (I would rather she dead than she her with trash
Greats analogy. Never thought of it like this.
I'm already depressed irl why would I wanna voluntarily feel sad in media
Hmmm idk reading it so you know your life isn’t a shit like the characters.

Dountmindme

Yeah, the gist is the same, though. MC is the one being "taken from" and not the person "being taken" or the one doing the "taking".
Basically all three terms are from like different perspectives if you think about it.

Angry_Clown

i basically call it dark romance
Is it really romance if it's based on destroying romance?

minacia

perpetually sour
Yeah, the gist is the same, though. MC is the one being "taken from" and not the person "being taken" or the one doing the "taking".
No, I mean, in Japanese "NTR", the MC can also be the cheating party.

To use Jamjam's NTR story as an example, the MC is the wife. She cheats on her husband with a homewrecker, which still fits in the neotare category.

Netsuzou TRap -NTR- is also a story where the protagonists are the girls, and they cheat on their husbands.

It only becomes netori if the perspective switches to the homewrecker's point of view.

Like the blog post has this diagram:

thedude3445

I most certainly do not enjoy the NTR genre. I think spicy affairs can be fun in fiction, but not at all in a fetish way. Consent on all parties' behalf is much more interesting (by the OP, does that mean "Netorase" is this?)