Toilet thoughts: Harem or sex friends that is the question

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
images (5).jpeg

Hello my guys, gals and enby pals.

Now I was thinking on the old John when something strange happened, is the sex friends tags related to the harem genre.
Now you may asking yourself well of course it, but then what's the polygamy/andry tag for then?
I began to wonder if you had a tag for sex friends and only sex friends is there even
a need for the harem genre or do they go hand in hand?
Harem and sex friends enjoyer friends enjoyers what is your wisdom?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Romantic relationship that grows from friends with benefits to full time lovers need the sex friend tag.

Harem already is a genre and doesn’t need additional polygamy/Andy tag if you ask me. Except the tag is for one of the harem members, otherwise it should be a given that the MC has multiple partners.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
Sex Friends doesn't imply multiple partners like Harem does. It also doesn't imply romantic interest. They're literally just friends who have sex together.

Harem is a genre tag, so you can use minor tags to clarify your intentions. Technically, it would be better to use Polyandry, Polygyny, and Polygamy instead of Harem/Reverse Harem, but whatever. Polyamory would also be nice, though in terms of view count it might just be a detriment.

Edit: Well, maybe not. I guess Harem also strongly implies that the relationship is One Person surrounded by lovers. Technically the Poly tags don't imply that, though most people assume it.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
let's just be real for a second here.

would most people even wanted to read such a story when there's this side character slut who occasionally having sex with the MC just for fun and treating him as if he's a convenient sex toy? because if the slut just down bad addicted to the mc d*ck then genre is just your usual submission instead of s*x friend.

there's a few manga I like when the heroine is not a virgin because she's playing around with her ex before meeting the mc. and that alone give the manga abysmal review and rating despite how good I think the story is.

most people just don't want it, as simple as that.

Harem is the selfish notion of having more than one lover exclusively to oneself. Poly is a group of at least three people in an inclusive relationship. Sex friends are just people you occasionally fuck - there is no relationship or commitment.
Everyone of those is different, and I don't even think any of the three should be used together.

LostLibrarian

Harem already is a genre and doesn’t need additional polygamy/Andy tag if you ask me.
Honestly, especially the polygamy-tag is rather important for harem as it splits into the "true harem" with the harem ending (polygamy, everyone together, etc) and the usual "romance harem" where X girls love the MC and only "first girl" (not best girl -.-'') wins at the end.

As the latter also has a lot of drama or dense MCs, a lot of readers look for harem endings. The Polygamy tag and the like really help to show what kind of harem the readers should expect...

SailusGebel

Honestly, especially the polygamy-tag is rather important for harem as it splits into the "true harem" with the harem ending (polygamy, everyone together, etc) and the usual "romance harem" where X girls love the MC and only "first girl" (not best girl -.-'') wins at the end.

As the latter also has a lot of drama or dense MCs, a lot of readers look for harem endings. The Polygamy tag and the like really help to show what kind of harem the readers should expect...
It won't help as long as the definition of every tag and genre isn't well defined. If there is room for interpretation, people will define genres and tags differently. Like, polygamy is a form of marriage. A man or a woman marries several partners. Well, what if you have a harem ending without the marriage? These discussions will continue emerging unless we strictly define every genre and tag.

LostLibrarian

It won't help as long as the definition of every tag and genre isn't well defined.
I mean, it helps because "harem" + "polygamy" means harem ending.
Of course, not using polygamy doesn't mean it's not a harem ending.
But using the tag, adds clarity to some cases...
The best one can do for now...

Though I agree about defining tags more.
Also adding "harem ending" as a tag would make it clear right away.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•

It’s not harem if there is no harem!

That’s how I see it.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
My husband and I were sex friends for many years before we got married. I had a boyfriend for most of those years. I was really only single for a few months after I left the guy who hid his meth habit from me for five years. My husband did not become my boyfriend until after he moved in with me in 2017 and met one of my other boyfriends. He said it helped him to get in touch with his feelings. In 2018, that boyfriend came to our wedding.

My point here is that they don't always go hand-in-hand, but they sometimes do. I think a lot of monogamous people who have sex friends stop contacting their sex friends when they get into a romantic relationship, unless the sex friend is the person they are in a monogamous relationship with. Also, some polyamorous people won't have sex with someone who is "just a friend" to them. It all depends on the people involved and what dynamics suit them.
Harem already is a genre and doesn’t need additional polygamy/Andy tag if you ask me. Except the tag is for one of the harem members, otherwise it should be a given that the MC has multiple partners.
I say we need more tags. Personally, I want to read stories about polyandry but not polygyny. I don't mind if it's a group marriage situation, though.
definitions.jpg

Group Marriage:
Not group marriage but polyamory, and my personal favorite custom in the documentary:

Last edited:

SailusGebel

I say we need more tags. Personally, I want to read stories about polyandry but not polygyny. I don't mind if it's a group marriage situation, though.
Reverse harem is a thing, you know? Though yeah, not all of them end up with marriage. Btw, if we define harems and reverse harems some of the tags you want would be a repetition. Well, there is a chance some of these tags won't be needed, depending on the definition. Like harem=polygyny and reverse harem=polyandry.