Toilet thoughts: Soft masculine character

Vnator

View attachment 10084
While coasting through web novels like a phantom I realized that there are no soft masculine main character.
I've only seen the hardened suck the fun out of everything I must be the strongest. And I got to say it's pretty boring to read 100 MC's that are mostly the same.
Now I don't mean the soft emotional kind that cries every five seconds (I'm looking at you Deku)
I mean one that isn't talking all hard 24/7, but one that let their emotions show but not irritatingly so.
These are my thoughts, I want to hear yours.
Do you like hardened masculine manly man characters? Or do you prefer ones that are more care free and open with their feelings? (Note: I'm not referring to Luffy or Goku)
If you do put your reason for why you like such a character and what you think characteristics best suit them.
Ooh, ooh! The main character from my story isn't afraid to cry! He does so around chapter 16 and at the end. He isn't afraid to feel bad about himself either or show his feelings.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Ooh, ooh! The main character from my story isn't afraid to cry! He does so around chapter 16 and at the end. He isn't afraid to feel bad about himself either or show his feelings.

wow you messed up

quick describe him getting a panic attack just before he starts feeling bad, and he pops some xanax pills to calm down as if his literal manhood depended on that

Lloyd

Professional Writer
wow you messed up

quick describe him getting a panic attack just before he starts feeling bad, and he pops some xanax pills to calm down as if his literal manhood depended on that
Classic strawmanning

LordJoyde

That's the thing I never mentioned feminine male characters, I said ones that let their emotions.
Those traits aren't feminine traits you know, feeling.
I never mention that I want feminine male mc, I just said I'm tired of seeing male MC's who act like they don't feel anything but sadness or rage.
And no Kazuma isn't feminine, where did you get that idea come from?
Natsu and Kirito aren't going through depression cause Natsu is a bubbly idiot that only knows two emote smiling really wide and being angry 24/7.
Kirito's on the other isn't depression, it's PTSD. Wait no not even PTSD, at least not yet and it didn't even play into his character. He was a bland character that never smiled found some friends got them killed and didn't let that shape his character, their deaths just sorta happened, no one apart from us and him even knew they died and after that he went back to how he was before.
Like that's not how you write depression.
While Guts is a Goku clone that got in over is head and now wants out.

Uh, no it's not how is showing emotions feminine trait, that's like saying any woman that's a more assertive and tough is instantly more
masculine.
You don't show masculinity by showing emotions, though. Anger is often allowed to pass through simply because being furious cleans-out the brain from any other potentially offending emotion. A masculine person should thus have a lot of self-control, but at the same time, cannot allow that self-control to devolve into cowardice.

At the very least, that's the way a man would see it. For us, masculinity is based on personal toughness, self-respect and general ability. Those who lack these attributes, regardless of how their failed to uphold them, are not seen as masculine, no matter how much muscle or grim-darkness they hold within themselves.

Kazuma certainly is not feminine, but he is definitely not masculine either. If anything, the character comes from a comedy anime so there's not a lot we can base his true nature on, since any defining situation is twisted for comedic effect.
I'm pretty sure that I said Natsu was also a comedic MC, therefore he cannot be judged effectively. Kirito may have PTSD, but you are absolutely wrong about it not shaping his character: it legitimately broke him, made him stand on emotionally shaky ground between telling himself that he wasn't affected by anything and doing things because he believed them morally right. He was supremely depressed, SAO just has a bad way to presenting that without novel context. In fact, one of Asuna's achievements is that she brought Kirito out of this black void, isn't it? This is why he went 'somewhat back to how he was before'.

Guts is a Goku clone? I'm sorry, but lol, no. Guts and Goku have nothing in common except that they both happen to speak best through combat, but even then, the language they speak is very, very different. Guts fights for survival and momentary repose while Goku fights for personal pleasure and the ambition to get even stronger. The only combative expressions they may share is if they're fighting to save someone, but if we go by this then we can include every character that fights to save someone in an anime, regardless of gender or literally any other trait.

Look, just because something is a feminine or masculine trait has no connection to gender, especially not in this day and age, lmao. In the past, it was simple logical truth that women were feminine and that men were masculine. This wasn't even a question since, this is just what and how people needed to be if they wanted to reproduce and be successful in life, but as time goes on, that simply isn't true anymore. And yes, while men have it wired in their brains to be masculine and women to be feminine, this is purely a mental form of evolution and one that has been in continuous decline since the start of the twenty-first century.

In other words, yes. A woman who shows tomboyish behavior is naturally more masculine than a woman who does not, same as a man who does not have the confidence to ask a girl out is decidedly less masculine than the guy who does it without trouble.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Haven't you read
"The Broken Coast" by Bruce Lee Bond
"Pools of Yarah" by James Gurley
"Confessions of a Gentleman Arachnid" by Michael Coolwood
or
"Philosopher's Crystal" by Marcin Dolecki?