Writing Tools/methods you use to write yourself out of a predicament?

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
It happens to everyone: the story you so carefully planned turns out forced and uninspiring, your hero is flat and one-dimensional, your complex and interesting characters suddenly stagnate and stop cooperating...
When a predicament like this rears its head and stalls your writing, authors have to think outside the box to find their way around it, right?

What tactics do you use to try and find/fix the problem?
(Edit: Many people are getting confused. If you're not used to investigating the source of problems in your stories in this way, you can just consider the question to be this:
What particular methods do you use during planning to try and ensure effective character development? And do you have any particular tricks for developing a plot that flows smoothly and makes sense when everything you've tried doesn't click?
P.S. I'm not asking for advice, just wanting to swap tips and tricks with other writers.)

Personally I focus on the characters, since I believe that a good story comes primarily from the strength of the leading cast. Well-developed characters will make more interesting decisions that will take the story in a more unique and personal direction.

Here are some of the methods I use when I get stuck. (I put the explanations under spoilers to save room.)

Viewing things from another character's perspective
This works whether I'm stuck on the plot or on how to fix a character. Everyone's the hero of their own story, so I flip it around to see things from the perspective of someone who isn't the main character (or part of the main cast, if they're all giving me a headache), letting them justify their view of the world.
On some occasions, this has led to me changing the protagonist of my story. There was, for example, a story where there were two heroes working together and I originally picked the less competent and informed of them because I thought that the story would be boring otherwise. However, I realised when I viewed the story from the other hero's perspective that his insight and awareness of the world was the only exciting way to let the readers experience the psychological wrongness of the setting. I ended up deciding on a mix of the two.
Usually this just helps me to break through my author's bias to see my characters as complicated and controversial people. A character I had written as a victim for her whole life, being abandoned by everyone she loved while she chased her dream, was revealed to be a self-pitying sellout who had chosen to chase fame at the cost of everyone she loved when I viewed her through her ex-friend's eyes. A wise queen who turned away the sexist and greedy men who came to court her, while appealing on various levels, was justifiably disliked by her court because rejecting them made them take it out on her people.
From there I either use the information to write more 3 dimensional characters, or I fix what made my character insufferable.

Planning an AU (also commonly known as the "What if..." method)
This comes in two flavours - totally and completely changing the setting/genre (taking a medieval fantasy setting into a modern card game anime), or changing something in the story. You then plan out what the character would think, feel, wear, do, etc. I usually prefer changing the story because it gives more immediate results.
Examples of story AUs I've used before:
"What if this character listened to their head instead of their heart and married the god instead of the man?"
"What if the dead lover returned and made this character choose between them and their current lover?"
"What if the heroes of the last generation really chose the side of evil and all these characters were born and raised by the evil organisation?"
"What if this character woke up one day in an alternative reality where their husband was evil and the only way back was to defeat him?"
"What if this character was sent back in time to when this other, ancient character was still young?"
You usually find out what your character's core values are when you play around with them like that. Sometimes it helps highlight how strong some relationships are, too.

Putting them in a moral dilemma
I haven't tried this very often because this is a shortcut to the above method, and I much prefer the greater amount of insight the AUs give me. There's also some overlap between the two. But here you just imagine the character having to make a very difficult choice and pick what they'd do, as well as their justification for it. It can be a simple "kill X or Y person they love", or you can google common philosophical moral dilemmas and test them with those.

Character building questions
Nice and simple, I often start out with these. You can google these and find whole sheets with questions, or you can go to generators like on this site: https://www.springhole.net/writing_roleplaying_randomators/index.html
You're not supposed to fill everything you get out, just as much as you can or want to before your character starts to take life.

Building playlists
Music helps me in a lot of ways when I write. If my story or characters are going flat just because I can't properly imagine how they feel, it can help me connect with them. I also enjoy making music videos in my head to songs, experimenting with forcing different stories and characters to fit the lyrics. If I come across a verse that doesn't work, I'll temporarily improvise a new event to force it to. Sometimes those events are so good that I keep them and they build upon a story or character.
For an example, I guess... I once tried to make a character for a public RP who was an evil sea witch who had, after being successfully attacked and chased out by the mermaid empire, come to land in a de-powered form to try and regain her power. She was a very ugly and twisted person, having sold her beauty to demons to fund her schemes. Her sympathetic point was that she had done it all to try and secure happiness and security for her younger sisters, as she had become the family head at a very young age. Her own sisters then betrayed her. But I, as the baby of my family, couldn't connect with her emotionally enough to plot her character growth or give her any depth.
It wasn't until I tried forcing a way for her to "sing" "Monster" from the Frozen musical that I got anywhere with her. To make her fit the parts from 2:28 to about 3:00, I changed her past a little so that she and her sisters actually witnessed their father (who had been given love potions until that day and had then woken up) killing their mother and escaping. Although she thinks that her father had the right to, she also thinks about the faces of her sisters on that day and how she made the decision not to fall apart because she had to protect them all. That leads into her decision in the "present".
In the end, I had to adapt the song's meaning to her because I couldn't force her to be someone who regrets becoming a "monster". I was able to get insight into her mindset, though, and to turn that hard determination to do anything to protect her loved ones into a strength that hopefully the other characters/players would have enjoyed.

Last edited:

Scribbler

I can relate and I can't relate. Most of the time I fuck up I can tell almost immediately, so I don't continue to write until I fix the words that sounded wrong. My story usually goes bad when the MC makes a speech. It's very - it's hard to make a speech sound natural. I'm normally very good with my words. So it confuses me why I can't write proclamations. It kind of counters the flow of the story, speeches, I mean, everything and one stops to listen - and, like, it better be fucking important, right?

I find that lengthening the speech to explain their decision, or shortening it to make it more impactful has remedied the issue for me.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I can relate and I can't relate. Most of the time I fuck up I can tell almost immediately, so I don't continue to write until I fix the words that sounded wrong. My story usually goes bad when the MC makes a speech. It's very - it's hard to make a speech sound natural. I'm normally very good with my words. So it confuses me why I can't write proclamations. It kind of counters the flow of the story, speeches, I mean, everything and one stops to listen - and, like, it better be fucking important, right?

I find that lengthening the speech to explain their decision, or shortening it to make it more impactful has remedied the issue for me.

It's not really technical problems like words I'm talking about, but flaws in the way the characters were built and the story that you decided to tell. Those either show up before you start writing, when you get stuck figuring out how to get from A to B in the plot, or suddenly after writing a lot, when things come to a halt without warning.

I did the opposite actually, I try to break the story more and more with each chapter. if i have to stick to make it perfect, then it's not meant for me to write.

when they were faced with a decision, i might try to force the most unnatural decision ever, to see what kind of laughs i'd make for it. i did, however, establish it in the first chapters, like, the protagonist is a nutjob and the story is nonsense.

i think the most important thing is the concept planning. i do spend a lot of time thinking up stuff that can let me go wild and go any way i want. doing things the usual way will bore me extremely fast.

to me, the best concepts are the most durable one.

the easy way to cheat is to dub it a story about someone writing a story :D /

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
It happens to everyone: the story you so carefully planned turns out forced and uninspiring, your hero is flat and one-dimensional, your complex and interesting characters suddenly stagnate and stop cooperating...
When a predicament like this rears its head and stalls your writing, authors have to think outside the box to find their way around it, right?

What tactics do you use to try and find/fix the problem?

Personally I focus on the characters, since I believe that a good story comes primarily from the strength of the leading cast. Well-developed characters will make more interesting decisions that will take the story in a more unique and personal direction.

Here are some of the methods I use when I get stuck. (I put the explanations under spoilers to save room.)

Viewing things from another character's perspective
This works whether I'm stuck on the plot or on how to fix a character. Everyone's the hero of their own story, so I flip it around to see things from the perspective of someone who isn't the main character (or part of the main cast, if they're all giving me a headache), letting them justify their view of the world.
On some occasions, this has led to me changing the protagonist of my story. There was, for example, a story where there were two heroes working together and I originally picked the less competent and informed of them because I thought that the story would be boring otherwise. However, I realised when I viewed the story from the other hero's perspective that his insight and awareness of the world was the only exciting way to let the readers experience the psychological wrongness of the setting. I ended up deciding on a mix of the two.
Usually this just helps me to break through my author's bias to see my characters as complicated and controversial people. A character I had written as a victim for her whole life, being abandoned by everyone she loved while she chased her dream, was revealed to be a self-pitying sellout who had chosen to chase fame at the cost of everyone she loved when I viewed her through her ex-friend's eyes. A wise queen who turned away the sexist and greedy men who came to court her, while appealing on various levels, was justifiably disliked by her court because rejecting them made them take it out on her people.
From there I either use the information to write more 3 dimensional characters, or I fix what made my character insufferable.

Planning an AU (also commonly known as the "What if..." method)
This comes in two flavours - totally and completely changing the setting/genre (taking a medieval fantasy setting into a modern card game anime), or changing something in the story. You then plan out what the character would think, feel, wear, do, etc. I usually prefer changing the story because it gives more immediate results.
Examples of story AUs I've used before:
"What if this character listened to their head instead of their heart and married the god instead of the man?"
"What if the dead lover returned and made this character choose between them and their current lover?"
"What if the heroes of the last generation really chose the side of evil and all these characters were born and raised by the evil organisation?"
"What if this character woke up one day in an alternative reality where their husband was evil and the only way back was to defeat him?"
"What if this character was sent back in time to when this other, ancient character was still young?"
You usually find out what your character's core values are when you play around with them like that. Sometimes it helps highlight how strong some relationships are, too.

Putting them in a moral dilemma
I haven't tried this very often because this is a shortcut to the above method, and I much prefer the greater amount of insight the AUs give me. There's also some overlap between the two. But here you just imagine the character having to make a very difficult choice and pick what they'd do, as well as their justification for it. It can be a simple "kill X or Y person they love", or you can google common philosophical moral dilemmas and test them with those.

Character building questions
Nice and simple, I often start out with these. You can google these and find whole sheets with questions, or you can go to generators like on this site: https://www.springhole.net/writing_roleplaying_randomators/index.html
You're not supposed to fill everything you get out, just as much as you can or want to before your character starts to take life.

Building playlists
Music helps me in a lot of ways when I write. If my story or characters are going flat just because I can't properly imagine how they feel, it can help me connect with them. I also enjoy making music videos in my head to songs, experimenting with forcing different stories and characters to fit the lyrics. If I come across a verse that doesn't work, I'll temporarily improvise a new event to force it to. Sometimes those events are so good that I keep them and they build upon a story or character.
For an example, I guess... I once tried to make a character for a public RP who was an evil sea witch who had, after being successfully attacked and chased out by the mermaid empire, come to land in a de-powered form to try and regain her power. She was a very ugly and twisted person, having sold her beauty to demons to fund her schemes. Her sympathetic point was that she had done it all to try and secure happiness and security for her younger sisters, as she had become the family head at a very young age. Her own sisters then betrayed her. But I, as the baby of my family, couldn't connect with her emotionally enough to plot her character growth or give her any depth.
It wasn't until I tried forcing a way for her to "sing" "Monster" from the Frozen musical that I got anywhere with her. To make her fit the parts from 2:28 to about 3:00, I changed her past a little so that she and her sisters actually witnessed their father (who had been given love potions until that day and had then woken up) killing their mother and escaping. Although she thinks that her father had the right to, she also thinks about the faces of her sisters on that day and how she made the decision not to fall apart because she had to protect them all. That leads into her decision in the "present".
In the end, I had to adapt the song's meaning to her because I couldn't force her to be someone who regrets becoming a "monster". I was able to get insight into her mindset, though, and to turn that hard determination to do anything to protect her loved ones into a strength that hopefully the other characters/players would have enjoyed.
Geniuses such as I cannot understand the petty problems of the common folk.

Haha. Seriously tho, i don't get that problem much. My main character is one crazy fuck who dares to kidnap kings and spank goddesses so i can literally do anything i want. Gives me lots of freedom for interesting situations.

Personally? I think everyone needs a character like that. Who is a bit crazy, a bit touched in the head? Someone daring and fun. They allow you to do so much, create so many good scenarios. Amd not make it look forced. Since that's just how they are.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Geniuses such as I cannot understand the petty problems of the common folk.

Haha. Seriously tho, i don't get that problem much. My main character is one crazy fuck who dares to kidnap kings and spank goddesses so i can literally do anything i want. Gives me lots of freedom for interesting situations.

Personally? I think everyone needs a character like that. Who is a bit crazy, a bit touched in the head? Someone daring and fun. They allow you to do so much, create so many good scenarios. Amd not make it look forced. Since that's just how they are.

I have plenty of crazy and eccentric characters, but I find that most of them still benefit from a rewrite. They also eventually run out of steam or end up getting themselves into situations where they're disliked anyway.

Besides, plot and supporting character issues can't always be solved with the MC.

Llamadragon

I start over with what I've learned. I'm a chronic pantser, so that means I don't release any stories anymore until I've got something solid written.

But these days when I start a longer work, I'm working with a 'character map', which is basically just one line with two different traits at each end. These two traits are in conflict with each other because the character hasn't managed to find the middle ground of character development yet, so they drive the story forward. I usually map out how I want the 'character map' to play out in advance so I'll have a good idea of what I need to do to make that character work over time.

Neither of those traits are necessarily positive/negative, or what might be considered opposites. Just, two traits that can't find balance in a character, so that character is jumping between them to various degrees of milds or extremes. Once I've got that, I pants away.

S-Scherr

I'm very fortunate with my current long-ass tale that I haven't run out of story or have fallen into the 'filler' realm.

I owe most of that to my characters who often surprise me by altering my intended storylines, which end up opening up several more. So I have learned that planning in advance is fine, so as long as those plans that aren't pivotal, remain flexible.

I also have the advantage of having a multiple character cast and any one of them can jump into the spotlight for a time to further the story. I also introduce new characters, as well, some of which start off as 'supporting cast' and then eventually move up to the main cast. This helps keep things fresh.

I also do a whole hell of a lot of seeding, introducing bits and pieces of stories that will bear relevance at future points in the overall bigger picture.

I believe there's a time when all those stories quickly come to a close, and rather than 'force' a tale to continue, it might be a sign that the finish line is near and that it's time to plan for that satisfying, and yet, terrifying: The End.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I'm very fortunate with my current long-ass tale that I haven't run out of story or have fallen into the 'filler' realm.

I owe most of that to my characters who often surprise me by altering my intended storylines, which end up opening up several more. So I have learned that planning in advance is fine, so as long as those plans that aren't pivotal, remain flexible.

I also have the advantage of having a multiple character cast and any one of them can jump into the spotlight for a time to further the story. I also introduce new characters, as well, some of which start off as 'supporting cast' and then eventually move up to the main cast. This helps keep things fresh.

I also do a whole hell of a lot of seeding, introducing bits and pieces of stories that will bear relevance at future points in the overall bigger picture.

I believe there's a time when all those stories quickly come to a close, and rather than 'force' a tale to continue, it might be a sign that the finish line is near and that it's time to plan for that satisfying, and yet, terrifying: The End.

Do you have ways to develop characters and plots that aren't coming together before you start writing?

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
What I really do? Write something else. I mean, there's a reason I haven't finished anything I've started yet, eh?

What I would do, theoretically, if I stall? Write something else Try to develop my characters more, as in dig deeper into their characters for inspiration, for plot points. Their history, personalities. What they might do in the situation, what enemies and allies they have, what traumas and joys I can exploit.

If all else fails and I exhaust literally everything that I can mine from what I already have (and this will never happen because imagination is limitless), I'll spring an deus ex machina conflict on the reader OR try to end the writing as gracefully as I can.

S-Scherr

Do you have ways to develop characters and plots that aren't coming together before you start writing?
If I understand your question correctly, then yes. I'll might have a tentative plan for Character 'A' who will eventually meet Character 'M' at some point down the road in some relevant way, after both characters have undergone several changes through various arcs where both characters interact and develop with all the other characters in between. It's like I know that story plot 'mile marker' is waiting down the road, but I have a lot of leeway before then to let both characters develop on the journey. That's the fun part of letting these characters loose to find out what they learn through their experiences, both past and present. Shit, I hope that makes sense... at least a little... lol.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
If I understand your question correctly, then yes. I'll might have a tentative plan for Character 'A' who will eventually meet Character 'M' at some point down the road in some relevant way, after both characters have undergone several changes through various arcs where both characters interact and develop with all the other characters in between. It's like I know that story plot 'mile marker' is waiting down the road, but I have a lot of leeway before then to let both characters develop on the journey. That's the fun part of letting these characters loose to find out what they learn through their experiences, both past and present. Shit, I hope that makes sense... at least a little... lol.

I also use loose planning sometimes, but I wasn't really referring to that. Rather, if something - the entire thing - is resisting development when you sit down to figure out your plans for the story.

Scribbler

*shrug* Maybe most people haven't noticed it yet or don't care enough to fix it.
I don't think you give people enough credit. I simply think you're a very certain kind of writer. Maybe you're too hard on yourself; it's not as bad as it seems? Of course I can't say for certain, as I know little of your works. For me, it may be that I haven't written enough.

I guess this is a kind of writer's block? It can be defined as the writer does not think they can continue writing, right? The only useful thing I can imagine to say is to believe more in yourself, or more precisely in your writing.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I don't think you give people enough credit. I simply think you're a very certain kind of writer. Maybe you're too hard on yourself; it's not as bad as it seems? Of course I can't say for certain, as I know little of your works. For me, it may be that I haven't written enough.

I guess this is a kind of writer's block? It can be defined as the writer does not think they can continue writing, right? The only useful thing I can imagine to say is to believe more in yourself, or more precisely in your writing.

I'm fine. It's not that I can't write, it's that I Identify that a character will become grating to readers when she should be dearly beloved, that a certain cast member detracts from every scene they're in instead of adding to it, or that story elements that should be coming together in one way aren't meeting their full potential. Often times I take care of this before I start writing, or I take advantage of a rewrite that was already going to be happening to fix it. It's rarely difficult to fix, it's just nice to have a lot of methods to try and crack different problems.

Maybe it's something you end up doing after writing a long time? I remember being a "panster" when I was a kid, but my works still had all these problems - I just didn't notice. Even now, it can take me until a major problem rears its head to realise that I formed a character incorrectly.
I can still write off the top of my head just fine, I just don't want to most of the time. It wouldn't be my best work.

Anyway, I think people are getting bogged down with the whole "detecting a problem in your work" part. I was mostly asking for what particular methods people have to try and ensure effective character development (during planning stage, not the writing), or for ensuring they develop a plot that flows smoothly and makes sense when everything they've tried doesn't click.
I'm not asking for advice, just wanting to swap tips and tricks with other writers.

Scribbler

I'm fine. It's not that I can't write, it's that I Identify that a character will become grating to readers when she should be dearly beloved, that a certain cast member detracts from every scene they're in instead of adding to it, or that story elements that should be coming together in one way aren't meeting their full potential. Often times I take care of this before I start writing, or I take advantage of a rewrite that was already going to be happening to fix it. It's rarely difficult to fix, it's just nice to have a lot of methods to try and crack different problems.

Maybe it's something you end up doing after writing a long time? I remember being a "panster" when I was a kid, but my works still had all these problems - I just didn't notice. Even now, it can take me until a major problem rears its head to realise that I formed a character incorrectly.
I can still write off the top of my head just fine, I just don't want to most of the time. It wouldn't be my best work.

Anyway, I think people are getting bogged down with the whole "detecting a problem in your work" part. I was mostly asking for what particular methods people have to try and ensure effective character development (during planning stage, not the writing), or for ensuring they develop a plot that flows smoothly and makes sense when everything they've tried doesn't click.
I'm not asking for advice, just wanting to swap tips and tricks with other writers.
I was going to say you may not have worded your question well, but I didn't want to offend you.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I was going to say you may not have worded your question well, but I didn't want to offend you.

I wasn't expecting so many people to be unfamiliar with this situation. I'll add a little clarification in the OP.