Writing Tournament School Arc

Lorelliad

If you love me, tie my hair 🎵
Just like any other school arc, you've gotta have a tournament arc in it. Mine doesn't happen until the second year, though. I figured I'd have this in place in order to allow the new fish to be able to gauge how strong their upperclassman are.

Anyway, for the people who write/have written tournament arcs, what'd you guys do? Was it a free for all? A battle royale? A team battle? Capture the flag? I need some ideas.

EternalSunset0

Just like any other school arc, you've gotta have a tournament arc in it. Mine doesn't happen until the second year, though. I figured I'd have this in place in order to allow the new fish to be able to gauge how strong their upperclassman are.

Anyway, for the people who write/have written tournament arcs, what'd you guys do? Was it a free for all? A battle royale? A team battle? Capture the flag? I need some ideas.
I haven't done it, but I like the standard bracket-format tournaments.

Battle royales are fun once you have already amassed a large-enough cast who haven't had that much time fighting each other. Works best in a team setting.

Lorelliad

Battle royales are fun once you have already amassed a large-enough cast who haven't had that much time fighting each other. Works best in a team setting.
I did want to do that, since I planned on the whole of the MC's class being involved in the story. So I was leaning to battle royale more.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I figured I'd have this in place in order to allow the new fish to be able to gauge how strong their upperclassman are.
...Wouldn't that mean your current characters would watch the tournament while they are underclassmen? Why is it only happening in year 2?

Lorelliad

...Wouldn't that mean your current characters would watch the tournament while they are underclassmen? Why is it only happening in year 2?
yes? I said it already, to sort of analyse their upperclassmen. Not the third years, since it's their last year, but the second years.

The second years would've already done the same for the third years as well. Since the higher you are, the more knowledgeable