Traditional Manga Format

H0LL0W

There are a lot of websites that host webcomics that are in a scrolling style, but there aren't a lot that still have traditional manga or western formats. Does anyone know of them? Does anyone know any webcomic websites that give the option to host your comic in that format?
Ever since a company purposefully bought Smack Jeeves just to close it down, there hasn't really been a great replacement for it :(
I wish websites like scribble hub had the option to host webcomics and trad manga made by users. Webnovel has it but its only the ones chosen from overseas, and tapas has it but it doesn't had the traditional format I'm looking for :(

LilTV1155

I don't know much about traditional or western format.

But there is one website called Webtoon. It may not be the same as Webcomic or something you know.

But it does vertical scroll.
Also can you please give me the example pictures of what traditional or western formats look like?
Internet's kinda hard to search.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I don't know much about traditional or western format.

But there is one website called Webtoon. It may not be the same as Webcomic or something you know.

But it does vertical scroll.
Also can you please give me the example pictures of what traditional or western formats look like?
Internet's kinda hard to search.

Manga or comic page. Mostly black/white with screentones. Perfect for traditional publishing.
Webtoons are the long one-strip stories that are almost always colored as they are made to be consumed via phone/tablet/digital.

Webtoon and tapas are mostly catered to webtoon format.

Mangadex used to allow user-created content, but the site is still under a big overhaul after the last massive hack.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
There are a lot of websites that host webcomics that are in a scrolling style, but there aren't a lot that still have traditional manga or western formats. Does anyone know of them? Does anyone know any webcomic websites that give the option to host your comic in that format?
Ever since a company purposefully bought Smack Jeeves just to close it down, there hasn't really been a great replacement for it :(
I wish websites like scribble hub had the option to host webcomics and trad manga made by users. Webnovel has it but its only the ones chosen from overseas, and tapas has it but it doesn't had the traditional format I'm looking for :(
I don't know any, but I think you might have a better chance of getting an answer in r/mangas or something. This is a site for novels at the end of the day, so it's unlikely that you'll find many people that know a lot about how to publish comics.

What I can say though, is that even for normal comics, many people tend to enjoy long strip format for reading online, as it is easier to read on computer like this. Even Mangaplus, the official site to read Shueisha mangas for free online, uses long strip as the default format.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Uhm, why would you want manga format? First of all, the right to left for manga was made due to Kanji. It isn't even relevant today but was simply kept for tradition.

The traditional reading format for both US comics and Japanese manga was made for magazines.

Vertical scroll is the most optimum format for the web. Anything else is borderline annoying.

As for hosting comics on scribblehub... well, who is stopping you? I mean one can argue a manga is a picture novel, just like a picture book. I think there may be a minimum word but you can cover for that with commentary. I mean, there is nothing in the rules against it... so you are free to try and gamble your luck.

H0LL0W

Uhm, why would you want manga format? First of all, the right to left for manga was made due to Kanji. It isn't even relevant today but was simply kept for tradition.

The traditional reading format for both US comics and Japanese manga was made for magazines.

Vertical scroll is the most optimum format for the web. Anything else is borderline annoying.

As for hosting comics on scribblehub... well, who is stopping you? I mean one can argue a manga is a picture novel, just like a picture book. I think there may be a minimum word but you can cover for that with commentary. I mean, there is nothing in the rules against it... so you are free to try and gamble your luck.
I don't want right to left due to kanji, I just simply wanted it in a horizontal instead of vertical reading style.
I'm aware of how kanji works.
I don't think I could just upload a bunch of pictures onto a chapter here, I'm sure that might break the TOS.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Oh snap! It's news to me that SJ shut down. All the manga I uploaded there gone LOL :blob_happy: Bye embarrassing wishy-washy manga I drew as a dumb kid

The only page-by-page option I can think of is deviantART, tumblr, instagram or blogspot - I've seen some users from WebToons start posting their pages there and taking them down from WebToons. Most comic sites nowadays are geared for mobile - we don't typically have page-by-page left-to-right/right-to-left traditionals anymore.

On AO3, putting simply a comic page in each chapter is allowed. Hitting "whole story" shows all the pages in one go.

But if we're talking about a lovely site like SmackJeeves.... yeah, there's none. I quite loved that site, actually, and people there were so nice. :blob_teary:

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I don't want right to left due to kanji, I just simply wanted it in a horizontal instead of vertical reading style.
I'm aware of how kanji works.
I don't think I could just upload a bunch of pictures onto a chapter here, I'm sure that might break the TOS.

What part of the TOS does it violate? Unless you plan on uploading images you have no copyright rights to, or the images are somehow offensive/abusive.

Well technically, pretty much every fantasy novel here violates the TOS due to this line "Contains any information or content that you know is not correct and current;" (I think the intention was to prevent people posting things as facts that they know aren't with intention to mislead, but well, yeah...)

Otherwise, there is nothing in the TOS saying you can't. Now SH can reject the content at their own discretion due to this line: "We reserve the right to monitor and review transmissions online and in storage, and to remove or reject any material, which we, at our sole discretion, believe may be unlawful or objectionable, without prior notice to User."

But that is why I said, you are free to try and gamble your luck. Either way, you wouldn't be charged with violating any current TOS policy.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
The last bastion for traditional webcomics, look no further than The Duck.

Old site that's like 2 decades old and unlike Smack Jeeves, has not changed much. Heck, this "new" version of the site was announced nearly 10 years ago. Old school, traditional, and still the best for classics. Just now, I just saw two webcomics that I recall over a decade ago still uploading. They're now over 1K strips! One is reaching 2K!

Echimera

Personally, I even prefer my manga or comics to have all the pages of a chapter beneath each other, it's just so much more comfortable when you don't have to load each page individually when reading digitally, be it on the phone or on the PC.

Webcomics are a different breed though, many of them come out with a page every few days and have their own sites.
There are a few networks that support and cross-promote them, like Hiveworks, but don't actively host them.

I don't see why this would break the TOS, as long as it's your content and not something pirated.

H0LL0W

Oh snap! It's news to me that SJ shut down. All the manga I uploaded there gone LOL :blob_happy: Bye embarrassing wishy-washy manga I drew as a dumb kid

The only page-by-page option I can think of is deviantART, tumblr, instagram or blogspot - I've seen some users from WebToons start posting their pages there and taking them down from WebToons. Most comic sites nowadays are geared for mobile - we don't typically have page-by-page left-to-right/right-to-left traditionals anymore.

On AO3, putting simply a comic page in each chapter is allowed. Hitting "whole story" shows all the pages in one go.

But if we're talking about a lovely site like SmackJeeves.... yeah, there's none. I quite loved that site, actually, and people there were so nice. :blob_teary:

I guess I could try dev art but I hate the site after they nerfed the search system. its so hard to find tutorials on there now. If A03 is fine with doing that on there, I guess I could post my story in that format.
The last bastion for traditional webcomics, look no further than The Duck.

Old site that's like 2 decades old and unlike Smack Jeeves, has not changed much. Heck, this "new" version of the site was announced nearly 10 years ago. Old school, traditional, and still the best for classics. Just now, I just saw two webcomics that I recall over a decade ago still uploading. They're now over 1K strips! One is reaching 2K!
I could try this website. Awesome. :)

bOnehEad

i bet they can't there are so many restrictions and there was no reason for them to work their nut.

H0LL0W

I made an account on The Duck. Will spend the next few days getting acquainted. Thanks for the help. I will also try and see if I can change settings on the other suggested sites. :)