Transgender tag

Kldran

I've avoided the transgender tag as an author, simply because none of my stories focus on the issue. None of my characters have gender dysphoria. Not even the one currently living as both. That character's confused because of how they are living two very different lives, but doesn't experience gender dysphoria... which honestly makes it more confusing for them.

On the topic of Japanese transgender stories, I have actually read a few transgender manga in the past; back when I was browsing through all the gender bender manga I could find. It was very rare, and pretty much all of it was Josei (Honestly, a lot of the best character stories I found were all Josei).

MajorKerina

Lacking description or tooltips most tags are up to interpretation. I had a bit of an issue with this since all my stories involve some form of gender shenanigans. Gender fluid roommate who loves everyone in a world where everyone has gender bender dreams at night and anime girls offer devices that let you temporarily turn into one of them. If you go by body is X sex and brain is Y or Z sex then all sorts of gender non comformity and stuff to think about.

But then a lot of my works are characters who are fine with their original bodies and then don't mind the change. Or they are wrecked by the change and their identity. Transgender tends to go with stories where the situation is not fantastical but I've seen it in fantasy works too so who knows.

OvidLemma

I'll echo a lot of what's been said here and add my own spin on it:
-Gender-Bender is listed as a genre. Stories with this tag have a gender change as a major aspect of the story, whether or not any of the characters are trans. For instance, in many of my stories, there's a GB tag but not a transgender tag because the gender-swapping characters don't identify as trans or don't have any obvious gender dysphoria or euphoria on either side of the change, though there are many other aspects of gender changes that can make the story interesting (such as differences in lived experience, treatment, and social expectations). In many of my stories, it's implied that the MC is trans or genderqueer, but I don't tend to focus on it, unless I have the transgender tag also included...

-The transgender tag is a subject tag for stories containing major characters who are trans or involving trans identity or trans issues. If your story doesn't involve a deep delve on (trans)gender issues or have characters who are explicitly trans, you should probably keep the tag out of your story. I would warn against ignoring GB stories with the trans tag, though, because some of the best stories of the genre involve trans characters.