Trolls..Little Rant haha...

kira

I am a very easy going person and seldom let critics bother me but I'm also not a person who lets someone step on me and just walks away. So being unable to publicly respond to the review I came here to vent hahaha. I am self aware enough to know I am an amateur writer who writes solely for fun..my story is fluffy random and not for everyone.
But today I got upset..not just for me but I recalled an awesome story someone stopped writing after some undeserved harsh criticism I still wonder where his story would have taken me. Trolls without constructive criticism( which could help..I never mind that) really piss me off.
Today someone wrote a scathing review of my novel..'dropped' under number of chapters read.The review intimated by that word the person read at least a reasonable amount of chapters but was dissatisfied with the characters..plot..direction etc. But apparently the person joined today and was on chapter 1 according to their page and my stats. I think 'dropped'...that is deceptive. No specifics just vague bashing of my story..No names referenced no specifics at all. I was sooo annoyed ( I hate to give wanted response but I was irritated because altho I am thick skinned many authors are sensitive). I have had my readers find fault or correct me or criticise which is fine. I never felt I was being covered in miasma like today.
I really wanted to publicly respond to voice my disgust about people who read for *free* then disrespect authors. My novel is flawed no doubt but it is meant to be a fun read to make my readers smile. When I read something that isn't my cup of tea I still respect the author's effort. Especially since it is unpaid and done for other's entertainment.
I don't get the need to be negative..click onto the next if you don't like the story.
I don't like to hold it in I have to express my opinion..I REALLY DON'T LIKE TROLLS!:mad_s:

LamenThief

One person gave me a star just because I said there would be no rape in my novel because I find it disgusting. It is not the first time that I have had that kind of problem with troll readers here. Some people talk to ask a guy who takes these troll ratings back, but this guy only helps his group of friends. This community in general is the worst I have ever seen (based on my experiences). Also, now I am sure that other people here will give me more troll ratings from a star because they did that when I talked about it before. People here are like that.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I am a very easy going person and seldom let critics bother me but I'm also not a person who lets someone step on me and just walks away. So being unable to publicly respond to the review I came here to vent hahaha. I am self aware enough to know I am an amateur writer who writes solely for fun..my story is fluffy random and not for everyone.
But today I got upset..not just for me but I recalled an awesome story someone stopped writing after some undeserved harsh criticism I still wonder where his story would have taken me. Trolls without constructive criticism( which could help..I never mind that) really piss me off.
Today someone wrote a scathing review of my novel..'dropped' under number of chapters read.The review intimated by that word the person read at least a reasonable amount of chapters but was dissatisfied with the characters..plot..direction etc. But apparently the person joined today and was on chapter 1 according to their page and my stats. I think 'dropped'...that is deceptive. No specifics just vague bashing of my story..No names referenced no specifics at all. I was sooo annoyed ( I hate to give wanted response but I was irritated because altho I am thick skinned many authors are sensitive). I have had my readers find fault or correct me or criticise which is fine. I never felt I was being covered in miasma like today.
I really wanted to publicly respond to voice my disgust about people who read for *free* then disrespect authors. My novel is flawed no doubt but it is meant to be a fun read to make my readers smile. When I read something that isn't my cup of tea I still respect the author's effort. Especially since it is unpaid and done for other's entertainment.
I don't get the need to be negative..click onto the next if you don't like the story.
I don't like to hold it in I have to express my opinion..I REALLY DON'T LIKE TROLLS!:mad_s:

This is the right spirit. :blob_evil_two: Come to the dark side of authordom. The hate will make you only grow stronger.

OvidLemma

This community in general is the worst I have ever seen (based on my experiences).

Personally, I've found the SH community quite supportive overall. However, I do get my share of unfair * ratings. I've not yet received a negative review on an overall story, but maybe I just haven't been brought to the trolls' attention yet. But I think it would be a mistake to impute the overall community just because of an availability bias toward the loudest and most annoying people who, in my experience, make up a tiny minority of people here. That said, trolls do exist and they do suck. I just try to keep calm and author on.

kira

One person gave me a star just because I said there would be no rape in my novel because I find it disgusting. It is not the first time that I have had that kind of problem with troll readers here. Some people talk to ask a guy who takes these troll ratings back, but this guy only helps his group of friends. This community in general is the worst I have ever seen (based on my experiences). Also, now I am sure that other people here will give me more troll ratings from a star because they did that when I talked about it before. People here are like that.
Generally I haven't had a problem here and love this site. I just was upset because of the inability to respond and ask specifics on which they based their review. I just thiught if it was directed at a more sensitive author it might crush their confidence. Im sorry to hear you have come across unreasonable readers..trolls shouldn't win..keep writing for the audience that enjoys your writing! I calmed down after ranting lol .can't let one person ruin your spirit! I will check out your story! *Fighting*

kira

Personally, I've found the SH community quite supportive overall. However, I do get my share of unfair * ratings. I've not yet received a negative review on an overall story, but maybe I just haven't been brought to the trolls' attention yet. But I think it would be a mistake to impute the overall community just because of an availability bias toward the loudest and most annoying people who, in my experience, make up a tiny minority of people here. That said, trolls do exist and they do suck. I just try to keep calm and author on.
Totally agree! I love SH and have some loyal readers..I was just venting cause I couldn't respond to the review..Personally I have self awareness(I know my writing limitations) and innate self confidence I just hate negativity without being able to react...anonymous trolls do feed on that lol I was feeling that someone else might stop writing when faced with such a insulting review of 'dropped' when they read one chapter and had no specifics. It's Monday haha I like to begin week happily:s_smile:
haha ranting felt good over it now..:giggle:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
My response is always, "hey man it's not MY fault you're too much of a basic bitch to understand the genius of my work."

And move on. Public or not I let them know I'm a God and they are mere insects incapable of comprehending the sheer magnificence of my every keystroke

Stratothrax

I've had a lot nicer time on Scribblehub than I have had on royal road, sucks to hear there are butts over here too.

I think there's not much to be done but ignore them sadly, the author life is rough

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I've had a lot nicer time on Scribblehub than I have had on royal road, sucks to hear there are butts over here too.

I think there's not much to be done but ignore them sadly, the author life is rough
I mean there are assholes everywhere. We have less, but they are definitely here

GhostyZ

Just make money and don't care. Ratings don't mean shit on this site. If you look at the trending novels they all have low ratings cause of trolls. Trolls are just butthurt cause they have no creativity nor will they ever matter in life.

Angry_Clown

Well, since this a rant thread...

I took some time to actually read the review referred in the OP and, well... I do not think that person is an actual troll. Sure, their review might be harsh, but such is life.

They made an effort to read through your story, define the points they do not like, and write a comprehensive review about them. They were specific enough. Trolling would be leaving a 1 star and pissing off immediately, or finding issue with absolutely unrelated things, like the novel not having a plot point or genre to appease this particular reader.

Furthermore, the criticism need not be constructive to be valid. People's apparent obsession with criticism being "constructive", even when it's clearly unfeasible under the circumstances, appalls me.

Firstly, when it's related to novels with many chapters written already, constructive criticism is simply impossible because the perceived faults in the work are an already established trend spanning multiple chapters and god knows how big a word count. Nobody is going to fix that, since it would require a massive rewrite and a huge amount of work. Authors are simply not going to rewrite 50 odd chapters. They know it, the reviewer knows it, the spectators know it, and people still pretend that constructive criticism is possible in this particular case.

Secondly, the reviewer might not be qualified to "fix" the issue. They might not be an experienced enough writer to make such a suggestion. They might have no idea at all how to find a solution to the issue at hand. Does it invalidate the problem with the novel and make it disappear? Hell no. It's still there. Just because the reviewer doesn't know how to fix things doesn't mean they're not broken.

Monk_Origins

Generally, SH is a heaven for beginners since the community is so positive, but since it is bitching time, please allow me to also complain a bit.
There is that one review that claims "This novel seems heavily inspired by X manga, but it's worse.", a manga I had never heard of. Of course, he/she is entitled to his own opinion, but any of my readers who have red the manga is calling his review a total BullSh*t. It's a shame that it is not possible to reply to reviews, to challenge them to clarify their claims.
PS: He was chill when I talked to him in private chat, I guess...

I do not think that person is an actual troll
I went to the review to see as well.
Dropped.

Story is good at the start, but author has dragged it on. There is little character development. All the FL does is prance around and try to hide her identity from the 50 male leads chasing her.

The title was very misleading, I had assumed that the “CEO” was the main male lead (and who she’d end up with) but it turns out this is a full blown (reverse) harem.

The romance is lacking, there’s nothing romantic about this novel, because many of the “romantic” parts are just summaries of this and that. It felt like I was reading a summary of someone’s actions/point of view. (E.g. “She saw him, standing 180cm, his physique was toned”).

Also, the FL doesn’t really do anything with any of her male leads. There’s no real romance, just her toying with them, (as expected, because she has to hide her “real” identity), but it’s very unsatisfying as a reader :/, I wish the author hadn’t made everything so ambiguous. I mean we are 230 chapters into the novel and the plots still missing.

I would give this 1 star but I applaud the author for trying her best.

Please include a harem tag, I thought that the main relationship would be monogamous, but I was wrong.

If the review is the same one the OP referenced then I am inclined to believe those comments are genuine.

I suppose a good litmus test is weither its troll or not is the question after 230 chapters is the romantic relationship of the Female lead still ambious or not.

Trolls without constructive criticism

While trolls do exsist, I would not want to villiafy a person and have their feedback dismissed as untrue becasue it was disagreeable.

If all their points are untrue fine, with point one can adress do so, but some kind of defence or unpacking of what these comments means is important, "contructive critism", I don't feel is served on a silver patter, it a dance between two indivituals.

Some partners are terrible dancers, but this review I don't think there is nothing to take away from, the comment is not so slim that it could be called a troll. In my opinion to defend one's work sharpens a person's skill, needing to explain why some choices are made, gives clarity to your art.

Of course none of that matters if you mean a different review.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
If the review lacks substance or clarity, potential readers are likely to disregard it when considering whether or not to read your book. A review that lies about what happens in the book would be more harmful (unless that's what the review was, in that case, rant away.)

But if the review is just pointing out real events that are considered "faults" in the reviewer's eyes, even if they aren't exactly being "constructive" about it, the criticism should still be considered valid, or even "constructive" in a twisted "I don't like this so fix it somehow type of way".

kira

I went to the review to see as well.

If the review is the same one the OP referenced then I am inclined to believe those comments are genuine.

I suppose a good litmus test is weither its troll or not is the question after 230 chapters is the romantic relationship of the Female lead still ambious or not.

While trolls do exsist, I would not want to villiafy a person and have their feedback dismissed as untrue becasue it was disagreeable.

If all their points are untrue fine, with point one can adress do so, but some kind of defence or unpacking of what these comments means is important, "contructive critism", I don't feel is served on a silver patter, it a dance between two indivituals.

Some partners are terrible dancers, but this review I don't think there is nothing to take away from, the comment is not so slim that it could be called a troll. In my opinion to defend one's work sharpens a person's skill, needing to explain why some choices are made, gives clarity to your art.

Of course none of that matters if you mean a different review.
I took offense to the fact they apparently read one chapter ..they joined yesterday and my stats said they were on chapter one.Then put *dropped* as though they read soooo many chapters and found it terrible. I think logically speaking (I saw review when I was having my morning coffee) that they did not read much of my story. Hey Im not saying I don't deserve criticism..but I like constructive criticism with examples. The review was vague and the really kinda nasty which is why I was upset. I write for pure fun and hope someone else smiles. I was in a mood yesterday because I recalled a story I really enjoyed and the author stopped writing because of trolling. I just think a review should be more specific not wahhhh this sucked..I don't think my story is gold by any means haha... but if you want to trash it dont randomly toss out s**t have some concrete reasons. '50 men' what a fn joke.I would love to question the person and find out if they actually read it..haha..not one character named not one scene...but of course being unable to retort is what is annoying.
So in your opinion it was a well written thought out review by someone who read more than 2 chapters? I don't think so..if someone has concrete examples and wants to call my story a POS I will accept their opinion and review. I am a Sustainability major not a professional writer.. But this review no.. HaHaja I must voice my dissatisfaction:blob_paint:

kira

Well, since this a rant thread...

I took some time to actually read the review referred in the OP and, well... I do not think that person is an actual troll. Sure, their review might be harsh, but such is life.

They made an effort to read through your story, define the points they do not like, and write a comprehensive review about them. They were specific enough. Trolling would be leaving a 1 star and pissing off immediately, or finding issue with absolutely unrelated things, like the novel not having a plot point or genre to appease this particular reader.

Furthermore, the criticism need not be constructive to be valid. People's apparent obsession with criticism being "constructive", even when it's clearly unfeasible under the circumstances, appalls me.

Firstly, when it's related to novels with many chapters written already, constructive criticism is simply impossible because the perceived faults in the work are an already established trend spanning multiple chapters and god knows how big a word count. Nobody is going to fix that, since it would require a massive rewrite and a huge amount of work. Authors are simply not going to rewrite 50 odd chapters. They know it, the reviewer knows it, the spectators know it, and people still pretend that constructive criticism is possible in this particular case.

Secondly, the reviewer might not be qualified to "fix" the issue. They might not be an experienced enough writer to make such a suggestion. They might have no idea at all how to find a solution to the issue at hand. Does it invalidate the problem with the novel and make it disappear? Hell no. It's still there. Just because the reviewer doesn't know how to fix things doesn't mean they're not broken.
I need caps here..I DON'T THINK THEY READ PAST CHAPTER ONE HAHA..THEN PUT DROPPED FOR CHAPTERS READ INTIMATING THEY SWAM THROUGH THE QUAGMIRE I CALL A STORY! HAHAHA!:blob_reach::sweating_profusely:

kira

Final thought..hmmmm..true.. reviewer doesn't need to be helpful with 'constructive' criticism..but it would be a positive contribution. Tbh my first review on the story is much more harsh than this one but used his criticism to improve. At the time my friends and I laughed so hard because he said I must not be a native English speaker lololol. (I am an American University student) I was just tapping out whatever came to my mind spontaneously no editing no grammar checks etc.
So I have spent enough energy haha even made a thread..time to move on I'm glad I can't get *fired* for my substandard performance.Venting once and awhile is good..don't need toxins accumulating in my meridians ..got my chi back..thanks to everyone that responded!