Trying to get a feel for the audience here

If you're familiar with Asian novels, do you have a preference?

• CN

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • JP

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • KOR

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other or I don't have a preference

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

iWannaEatChicken

I want to have a clear idea at what type of audience I'm working with, so I'll ask outright:

Are most of you familiar with Asian novels or did you come across this site as a better alternative to, say, Wattpad?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
let me just give you a quick rundown:

Webnovel: bidaily uploads or bust; preferably some cultivation inspired stuff
ScribbleHub: anything goes, ESPECIALLY LitRPGs, romcoms, harem ecchis, and LGBTQ+, though serious dramas are usually dead from the get go.
RoyalRoad: antithesis to ScribbleHub. hates romcoms and has a low LGBTQ+ readerbase, but is VERY HEAVY into LitRPGs with accurate mythology or battle strategies. dramas aren't as active but aren't the graveyard that is ScribbleHub.
Tapas: webcomics. your writing won't go far; hell, it's dead from the get go.
Honeyfeed: Japanese inspired LN circlejerk. HEAVILY dependant on whether you have an established reader base or that you're active in their discord. if you don't have a nice cover and/or a good illustrator, your chances are shot in the kneecap.
Fanfiction/ArchivesOfOurOwn: I think their reputation precedes them at this point
Wattpad: romance for perverted single wine moms/about-to-be wine moms. also AO3 lite.

iWannaEatChicken

I got kicked off Wattpad and landed here.
You're the first person I know who's been kicked off :sweat_smile:

let me just give you a quick rundown:

Webnovel: bidaily uploads or bust; preferably some cultivation inspired stuff
ScribbleHub: anything goes, ESPECIALLY LitRPGs, romcoms, harem ecchis, and LGBTQ+, though serious dramas are usually dead from the get go.
RoyalRoad: antithesis to ScribbleHub. hates romcoms and has a low LGBTQ+ readerbase, but is VERY HEAVY into LitRPGs with accurate mythology or battle strategies. dramas aren't as active but aren't the graveyard that is ScribbleHub.
Tapas: webcomics. your writing won't go far; hell, it's dead from the get go.
Honeyfeed: Japanese inspired LN circlejerk. HEAVILY dependant on whether you have an established reader base or that you're active in their discord. if you don't have a nice cover and/or a good illustrator, your chances are shot in the kneecap.
Fanfiction/ArchivesOfOurOwn: I think their reputation precedes them at this point
Wattpad: romance for perverted single wine moms/about-to-be wine moms. also AO3 lite.
From this I feel like the only safe option would be Scribblehub haha...

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I am only here because it's the only site that appreciates my talents. Royal Road is fairly snobby, wattpad is difficult to use if you're new, Webnovel will bust your balls with fake scam publishers, and honeyfeed just wants shitty smut isekai. I just want to write a Historical/mythological-based adventure series with philosophical arguments and the entire spectrum of MILF's.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
I am only here because it's the only site that appreciates my talents. Royal Road is fairly snobby, wattpad is difficult to use if you're new, Webnovel will bust your balls with fake scam publishers, and honeyfeed just wants shitty smut isekai. I just want to write a Historical/mythological-based adventure series with philosophical arguments and the entire spectrum of MILF's.
Most Royal Road readers only really like LitRPGs and nothing else, traditional fantasy or really anything that isn't a written video game gets sent to the shadow realm.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I want to have a clear idea at what type of audience I'm working with, so I'll ask outright:

Are most of you familiar with Asian novels or did you come across this site as a better alternative to, say, Wattpad?
I found this site through Novel Updates. After I realized that most anime were based on WNs, I started reading them to finish off the plotlines that got left hanging. I ended up getting linked here from the sidebar on that site, and to Royal Road as well.

With that in mind, I'm mostly unfamiliar with CN or Korean stuff. After a while, I also lost interest in the JP stuff too.

Between Royal Road and Scribblehub, some of the authors I liked abandoned Royal Road because the admins were unpleasant. So Scribblehub is where I upload, and mostly where I read from as well. If I have one complaint, it's that the enter key is super inconsistent when writing.

For the audience, Scribblehub has a large LGBT+ audience, along with people who are looking for fluffy romance and a high winrate for the characters. There are, of course, audiences for other things, but they tend to be a little smaller. There is very little room for Tragedy however. If anyone wanted to read that stuff, they'd look at the news instead.

CynicalStrawberry

I used to write on Wattpad years ago when I was into fantasy romance. Then, I stopped. Then I discovered the world of Asian light novels and I got super into shoujo, then eventually BL. At some point, my interest in BL became so strong that I had an itch to write my own and after googling writing sites I discovered and hopped over onto Scribble Hub. Along the way, I briefly tried Webnovel, discovered the site had issues and wouldn't allow me to create a second arc, got annoyed, and left.

So now I'm here with Scribble Hub and Chrysanthemum Garden, an exclusively BL writing site. As for the poll above, my heart will always be with Chinese light novels simply because I've found the best BLs are generally Chinese, or at least, my favorite ones are.