Writing Trying to write a story that is part lab report and part mythos storytelling.

LilTV1155

It's a creation myth that centered around the cosmos.
The story begin with poetic introduction.
Then jump straight to lab report that talk about how the cosmos got created.
Near the end, the cosmic creators come to life due to the narration.
Those cosmic deities fight and die, then reborn into new life on Earth.

Problems?
I am trying to write a creation myth that has both magic and science elements in a lab report format (which doesn't look like it) and it get nowhere due to lack of transitions and too much detailed explanations which sounds more like science jargons than myths.

Imagine explaining how your cosmos got created from the smallest particles into a god, to a kid or any Reader lacking in imaginations. Hard!
But I want to finish this story rather than leave it half-baked.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Some of us find science jargon sexy. Write the story you want to read!

Plantorsomething

It's a creation myth that centered around the cosmos.
The story begin with poetic introduction.
Then jump straight to lab report that talk about how the cosmos got created.
Near the end, the cosmic creators come to life due to the narration.
Those cosmic deities fight and die, then reborn into new life on Earth.

Problems?
I am trying to write a creation myth that has both magic and science elements in a lab report format (which doesn't look like it) and it get nowhere due to lack of transitions and too much detailed explanations which sounds more like science jargons than myths.

Imagine explaining how your cosmos got created from the smallest particles into a god, to a kid or any Reader lacking in imaginations. Hard!
But I want to finish this story rather than leave it half-baked.
Reminds me of SCP but nothing else

CynicalStrawberry

You could...try to make an analogy? Maybe turn the parts of the cosmos into characters themselves. I'm not sure if this is what you're going for, but I remember one time in high school we did some sort of experiment with a petri dish where we did something which caused the subject of our lab to move across the dish as if fleeing. This reminded me (probably thanks to the fantasy novels I was reading) of a king and queen fleeing their kingdom after a rebellion and I made up a whole story about it in my head, likening the particles (they may have been amino acids or enzymes) fleeing to the king and queen. You could do some sort of analogy like that, have the parts of the cosmos become characters in themselves.

Or you could try interspersing the science with the story. For example, open the story with a chapter from the future/present with the deities at war. Then transition to a chapter in the past talking about how the cosmos got formed. Basically, intersperse chapters about the future with the past to keep readers engaged. It could be flashbacks from one character's perspective. Or open with a chapter from the future, then be like "back when it all started..." and transition to the past. That way readers, curious to know how the future chapter came about, will be hooked to keep reading. I'm not sure if this helps but here are some ideas.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
too much detailed explanations which sounds more like science jargons than myths
Isn't that the point? It's a clinical, scientific analysis of real-world events. It should be coated in jargon and detailed explanations.
Or you could try interspersing the science with the story
However, this reminds me of something. You could start with a Creation Myth, and then have a scientist carefully explaining every reference and metaphor in the margins and footnotes. Instead of a report on the events themselves, it would be a report on the 'primitive traditions that resulted from a weak understanding of factual events'.

Readers bored by the science might just ignore it in favor of the mythology, and vice versa. (That's a good thing.)

LilTV1155

Isn't that the point? It's a clinical, scientific analysis of real-world events. It should be coated in jargon and detailed explanations.

However, this reminds me of something. You could start with a Creation Myth, and then have a scientist carefully explaining every reference and metaphor in the margins and footnotes. Instead of a report on the events themselves, it would be a report on the 'primitive traditions that resulted from a weak understanding of factual events'.

Readers bored by the science might just ignore it in favor of the mythology, and vice versa. (That's a good thing.)
How should I create the margins?

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
For SH, I'd suggest false author's notes and spoilers. You might be able to manage something with indents and Align Right, Align Left, but I feel like that would be rough.

Oh, there's also bullets and lists.

LilTV1155

For SH, I'd suggest false author's notes and spoilers. You might be able to manage something with indents and Align Right, Align Left, but I feel like that would be rough.
What about the table? Can it be used to make margins?

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
If you make a table with three cells, then drag the inner lines out to the edges, it should create three areas you can write in, with two being 'margins'.

You can also edit the lines and table type to make them invisible. Table Properties and Cell Properties will probably both have to be used if you want to do that, with the Border Style set to 'None'.
tables.jpg

Your whole story might end up becoming a table though.

tables2.jpg

Last edited:

LilTV1155

If you make a table with three cells, then drag the inner lines out to the edges, it should create three areas you can write in, with two being 'margins'.

You can also edit the lines and table type to make them invisible. Table Properties and Cell Properties will probably both have to be used if you want to do that, with the Border Style set to 'None'.
View attachment 10652

Your whole story might end up becoming a table though.

View attachment 10653
That will definitely be real messy
Some of us find science jargon sexy. Write the story you want to read!
Math make chemistry. From chemistry, we make life and philosophy?

Last edited: