Turn A Insignificant Item Into The Best Story Possible [250 Words or Less]

CautiousTitan

Tentacle, Merchant, and Telekinesis Expert
The Writing Prompt is self-explanatory. Turn a random, insignificant item into the focus of a story. The more original, the better!
This will get the creative juices flowing!
I'll update this post with the best ones I see

u/Gaylolis:
148 Words

u/XianPiete

Last edited:
148 words.

object: table

==

Before me was a white space, and only this brown, maple-colored table. As I walked through its boundaries, it went without end.

The table's getting smaller, the more I walked.

I went back and sat, with my legs beneath the table.

Now, what should I do? My folks back home would miss me.

I unknowingly slammed the table with both palms, and a dialog box popped in front of me.

[Ding! You've hit the table, gained 1 XP.]

What the hell?

Since I got nothing to do, I kept hitting the table in various ways, netting me varying XP amounts.

Eventually...

[Level Up!]

[You can assign bonus points to your stats.]

There were bunch of RPG-style stats, which I left alone for now.

[You have acquired ... gold so far. Access store?]

There were daily necessities and RPG equipments.

Guess I'd be hitting tables for a while.

CautiousTitan

Tentacle, Merchant, and Telekinesis Expert
148 words.

object: table

==

Before me was a white space, and only this brown, maple-colored table. As I walked through its boundaries, it went without end.

The table's getting smaller, the more I walked.

I went back and sat, with my legs beneath the table.

Now, what should I do? My folks back home would miss me.

I unknowingly slammed the table with both palms, and a dialog box popped in front of me.

[Ding! You've hit the table, gained 1 XP.]

What the hell?

Since I got nothing to do, I kept hitting the table in various ways, netting me varying XP amounts.

Eventually...

[Level Up!]

[You can assign bonus points to your stats.]

There were bunch of RPG-style stats, which I left alone for now.

[You have acquired ... gold so far. Access store?]

There were daily necessities and RPG equipments.

Guess I'd be hitting tables for a while.

This is pretty good. I'll update the word limit to 250 words since it seemed somewhat constrained. Well done!

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
All my life, I stood here.

A lonely stone, for a lonely boy.

He leaned on me, deep in thought.

Once, twice, thrice— Every day, he came here.

Sometimes depressed, sometimes angry.

Until, he stopped.

Time passed, he came back, old and jaded.

Shiny circle on his head, majestic.

He leaned on me, at peace and at last.

Eyes closed, body froze.

A lonely stone, for a lonely man.

All his life, he slept here.

A silent stone, for a silent man.

OneSixSeven

Advocate of Headpatting and Handholding
119 Words

Object: Person

- -

The moment I opened my eyes, I felt something is not right.

Looking around, there's nothing but a working table filled with audio and music production to the likes of so-called home studio

Sighing, the moment I knew this is a parallel world is when I turned on my laptop and search for world history.

This non magical parallel world, I realized, is almost the same but with confriamtion deep-dive VRMMO and me reborn as royalty of a country

Grabbing the practice bow and a couple of arrows, I mentally let out a maniacal grin as I thought to myself,

"Is it Wrong For A Royalty To Royally Kicking Someone's Arse In Online Games Literally?"

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
"Are you sure that's really the one thing you want? I said you can have anything you want in my entire store." The grumpy-looking old man rubbed the bridge of his nose clearly annoyed.

"Yes, it's this. I must have it!" The young man gently brushed his hand over its sleek glossy surface.

The old man frowned and then balled up a fist and growled low, "Look, kid, when I said anything in the store I meant the priceless artifacts and cultivation goods. Don't you want to be a hero, a cultivator?"

The young man seemed to pause for a moment and then asked, "But you said anything, right? I want this! Please?"

The old man stared at him for a good minute with his mouth open, "But that's just a regular..."

The young man stared at him and stated it emphatically, "Sir, I want this and nothing else, I won't change my mind."

The old man shook his head and waved his hand, "Fine, you take it then. I'll just go across the street and get a new toilet."

Percy84

Words: 250
Item: Parsley

It was sunrise, I woke up in a bed I was not familiar with. Oh, it was the new house I had purchased the day before, paperwork had finally been done and I could start to inhabit this luxurious mansion. Airhead, oh I was, forgetful too, I still had not even inform my parents about my new home. I called them, they were very delighted, I hung up, I felt like I had forgotten something about the home. Oh right, I had now a garden.

I got up, stretched, and headed to the garden that I had never seen before, the place had been barricaded, the former owners said that it would be a surprise, a generous gift to thank the person who would buy it, I was told that it would amaze me.

I walked up to the door leading to the garden and slowly opened it, and then I saw, it. They were right about one thing; it did surprise me. The garden that I had dreamed Edenic, was right before my eyes.

To be exact, there was only a rectangle of grass, but, at its center, there was it. Ludicrous, was the word they spoke when I told them about the garden the same evening. But to me, it was the opposite, because in my garden, albeit a bit empty, was standing the sacred object, more precious to me than holy scriptures to the monk. It was just there for me to behold. What? A single parsley.

Sandycat135

196 Words
Word: Stick

My body rigid against the frozen ground. The emptiness stretching above the forest.
Those scampering up the hillside.
I watched them.
Watched the figures, so alive, so...
What did they have that I didn't?
What right did they have to take me?
I envied them.
Feeling empty, I watched those around me.
The frozen imprint on the ground.
The ones lost.
I felt nothing, just the numbness of the ground, the abyss of the sky.

Then, I saw.
I saw them, twinkling above.
High in the sky.
They were free.
They were together.
I lay there.
I lay in the ground, for who knows how long.
I stared until the grey light of dawn took them away.
I stared at the blue sky.
What were they doing now?
Were they frolicking in the cloudless sky?
Playing in the endless void?
Or were they just like me, empty, hollow?
I thought.
I thought about it.
I kept thinking about it, as a calloused hand threw me into the embers, as the warm flames licked around me, as I stared, unmoving, frozen, at the flickering light.
I had one thought before I was gone.
The stars were brighter.

ShrimpShady

250 words (originally 420 (nice), but had to painfully trim down the flowery language)
Word: Blog

Just what the hell am I doing?

If I knew college was this tough, I wouldn’t have even bothered.

“Gotta find some reference images…” I searched, but nothing I needed came up.

After what felt like hours of desperate scrolling, I found it. The image I needed, an image of some convolutedly-named tissue. I needed to copy the URL of the website, so I opened it up.

“Getupafteryoufall.wordpress.com”

What a cheesy-ass name.

I scrolled down the site and, to my surprise, found every reference image I needed. All the strangely named tissues were there. I took a deep breath. My work load had been trimmed, ever so slightly.

Curious, I checked their other posts. I found images and information from previous assignments. Sure enough, the tagged location was my department’s lab.

Amused, I checked their about section. They went to my campus, 7 years before me.

“Small world, huh?”

I halted all my work and obsessively read their posts. I found spoilers for future assignments as well as rants about much of the same stuff I hated about being in college.

I found the post of them preparing to present their final paper.

Afterwards, the posts became infrequent. They were mostly strange little writings that hadn’t much to do with college. After a while, I eventually reached their newest one, posted yesterday.

At some point, they got married. They posted about eating corn with their kid.

I felt a warmth within me.

I smiled.

Guess I gotta get back up.

250 words about a pebble becoming a doctor

~~~~

Until recently, I was happily sitting at the bottom of Adams Creek. A burrowing catfish would occasionally dislodge me, but life was uneventful.

However, I was destined for greater things. Namely, getting caught in the boot of George Blackwell, technician for the local Ford dealership and frog gigging enthusiast. It was getting close to the witching hour, so he soon called it quits. He tossed his boots into the back of his pickup and drove out of the woods. The boot and I were not meant to be together, as the bumpy road shook me free. With one final bump George drove onto the freeway, causing me to fly out onto the road.

A car sped over me, flinging me into the car behind it, embedding me into the windshield. While this was unfortunate for the car, it was more so for James Childers, who had left the bar at closing and had not returned to sobriety. Startled by my presence, he swerved off the road into the unwelcoming arms of a pine tree. While this was unfortunate for the tree, it was more so for James, who ended up with me mashed into his skull.

While I was easily removed, at the hospital it was discovered that James had a malignant tumor. That turned out to be less easy, however, the surgeon, Sarah Kirkland, managed to do so. She also had an odd sense of humor, so now I sit on her desk, where she calls me Doctor Rocktor.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
Doing nothing in particular can be quite tiring especially when constrained to sitting while optionally watching the passing scenery through the window. Being one of the last ones fetched in the mornings means I get to school within half an hour. However, I am one of the last ones returned to their homes and this takes a little over a couple of hours. Really, really boring. Really, really tiring.

I climb the flight of stairs to our unit on the 3rd floor. Not all buildings have elevators ... in this era. Deal with it.

I knocked to politely indicate my presence and used my key. I could have buzzed, but that would mean waiting, waiting, waiting.

I noticed my bedroom door ajar. Oh, no! Did someone tidy my room? Heck! Did someone clean my room?!

Sweat trickled down my forehead as I panicked and rushed to check. Did anyone find it?! Did anyone touch it?!

Oh, good. Still there. I released the breath I did not realize I was holding.

Still safe. Still a secret. Nodame's bag of dirt [Limited Edition].