Editing [Tutorial] Test Your Story's Popularity Potential -- Beta-Readers

OokamiKasumi

Author of Quality Smut
Those tutorials are so obvious, I can't even find a little thing to disagree with...
So... uhm... let's go anyway:

Only good thing about SH is that most readers see themselves as beta readers. The overwhelming majority doesn't care about a handful of grammar mistakes or other problems. Most stuff on here is in the range of "first draft" and the users rate stories as such.
I have noticed that SH's range of writers are very different from FF.N and A03. It's not just what is allowed on the sites. The SH writers explore a broader range of writing styles and the readers are definitely more relaxed about what they read, not just what they write.

So on SH it's actually rather easy to find beta-readers. Post the stuff, see the reaction, and use that information for short edits or future chapters...
True.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

melchi

What is a custom title?
Asking people for help is hard, you are brave for putting it in chapters.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
beta-readers? No, my readers are all alpha chads

OokamiKasumi

Author of Quality Smut
Asking people for help is hard, you are brave for putting it in chapters.
Asking for help IS hard.

Consider this though :

What's more important to you as a writer?
-- Embarrassment no one will ever know about?
-- Posting a damned good story because you took the time to have someone help you polish it?

Remember, the only thing your readers see are the book covers you choose to use, and the words you post.

☕
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

beta-readers? No, my readers are all alpha chads
Braggart.

☕

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Sexism...? Males and females think differently. Were you not aware?

Book Referenced: Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus
They think differently can, at most, be ascribed to culture. That book is, to put it genuinely politely, false. Founded on numerous psychological studies that entered the public consciousness, but have been known to be false for a frankly concerning amount of time (that those studies hasn’t left the public eye yet is what’s concerning is what I mean), using that as a guide book for psychology is a poor idea.
Edit: I can tell you where my information is from since you took the time to give me your sources. 2 college classes of mine were psychology and human geography. For the former, more than a couple books of the reading material that covered how material should be sourced and how to standardize experimentation absolutely lampooned the “research papers”(if they can even be called as such) for Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, rigorously going over all of the bias. The low sample sizes, preconceived notions, statistics misrepresentation, etc. are absolutely appalling. For the latter class, it covers various cultures and how the various trains of thought/belief systems leads to believed differences.

Last edited: