Twitch Streaming

Yorth

Swordman
Hey all, one thing I noticed in the webnovel community in all the years that I have been a part of it is that there isn't much content about it outside of sites like royalroad or scribblehub. As such, I thought that it would be a good idea to try and push it in more mainstream forms of media. However, one problem with writing webnovels is that you cannot really show the full raw experience and having it be still enjoyable to watch. As such, I was thinking about having more distilled forms of content that may show only the "fun" parts. One idea was to have a stream where we decide on a ridiculous light novel idea and do a serious outline for it. The advantages that it presents are that the experience can be very chat-interactive with people throwing ideas all around, and it wouldn't be as long/hard as actually writing out the full chapters.

I'm curious about what you guys think. Also, I'll be streaming in a bit on twitch here on this link:

Gimmie a follow so that you get notified when I start streaming.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
The only way to make web novels more mainstream is to reduce the amount of smut and harem, or wait until social conventions change. As both is equally unlikely to happen, web novels will stay a niche genre.

PS.

Couldn't this be a part of the problem as well? How do you want to be taken seriously if don't even take your own idea seriously?

"One idea was to have a stream where we decide on a ridiculous light novel idea and do a serious outline for it. "

D

Deleted member 19049

I just think writing as a whole is a niche. I absolutely adore planning a story and building a world, but taking those plans and writing a final product is a chore worse than my job. I'd much rather do something else.

By only showing people the 'fun' parts and leaving out the tedious stuff you might get a few people to try, but I bet they would quickly give up because writing is difficult and not that fun. If they don't like it for what it is, then they probably won't keep it up.

But that's just my opinion.

jimbobthethird

Really a big fan of the idea, but I reckon it'll need a lot more people (from the web novel community) to be on board to really bring it out into something even remotely mainstream.

Last edited:

Yorth

Swordman
Really a big fan of the idea, but I reckon it'll need a lot more people (from the web novel community) to be on board to really bring it out into something even remotely mainstream.
That's definitely true. However, I think that this kind of support wouldn't come just from proposing one idea on the forums and then expecting people to come in waves. The way I see it is that if I keep consistent in my content creation, I will accumulate enough small wins to inspire other people to do the same as me. And when we grow a big enough of a content creation community around webnovels, there is a chance that one of us could make it big and break into the mainstream. At least, that's how I see it.

Ekfreet

Does anyone have a reliable stat analysis of the monthly visits that SH or RRL has?

I honestly don't know if our WN community is still growing or already shrinking.

AkalE

A webfic podcast would be interesting with authors and talking about new and best stories...

You could interview the trending top authors or best authors on the site.

If you do manage to do it @Yorth ping me :)

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
"Once the internet will rise, the papers will die."

-D4isuke-

Original quote from myself.

Yorth

Swordman
Does anyone have a reliable stat analysis of the monthly visits that SH or RRL has?

I honestly don't know if our WN community is still growing or already shrinking.

Well, webnovels as a whole have been growing massively for the last 5 years (I think the community at least 20xed if not more, if we consider only originals at least). For SH specifically, I'm not sure about the current numbers, but one month after rona, Tony shared the site's stats with us and it seems like there had been a 10% growth in registered users, which is by no mean trivial.

Yorth

Swordman
A webfic podcast would be interesting with authors and talking about new and best stories...

You could interview the trending top authors or best authors on the site.

If you do manage to do it @Yorth ping me :)
I've been toying with the idea of a podcast for quite a bit, but I didn't really wanna push it too hard until I got some good audio equipment. Now that I have finally got a decent mic, maybe we can actually do it this time.

The way I see podcasts is that they would most likely not bring in any outside attention from mainstream viewers, but they are a great way of bringing people that are already invested in the webfic community to more derivative content. Either way, it's something I would consider doing depending on the reception from the author community (and more importantly if there are enough high rated authors that have a good enough mic not to ear rape all of the listeners)

AkalE

I've been toying with the idea of a podcast for quite a bit, but I didn't really wanna push it too hard until I got some good audio equipment. Now that I have finally got a decent mic, maybe we can actually do it this time.

The way I see podcasts is that they would most likely not bring in any outside attention from mainstream viewers, but they are a great way of bringing people that are already invested in the webfic community to more derivative content. Either way, it's something I would consider doing depending on the reception from the author community (and more importantly if there are enough high rated authors that have a good enough mic not to ear rape all of the listeners)
Just @ some peeps here and put them on the spot... :blob_hide:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts

you could start with the local community. an SHF podcast, maybe. have scheduled interviews or co hosts and have Tony make a locked category just for the podcast. speaking from experience, you might run out of material and burn out at around 16 - 17 episodes but hey, if those episodes worked you just might be able to somewhat takeoff. don't look so far yet. make an outline for your quest and focus on the nearest objective.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
The only way to make web novels more mainstream is to reduce the amount of smut and harem . . .
Never!

Also, we don't wait until social conventions change. We work to make it happen.

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

It does make sense to show the more enjoyable side of writing. If you, as a writer, clicked on a stream and watched two guys discuss the minute details of basic character modeling, would you be interested? I mean, if you didn't have any sort of interest in that sort of subject. To make something popular, something has to catch the publics eye.
Also, it's partly the 'fans' who have to motivate that interest into the outside world. As an example, I only got into graphic webnovels cause one of the tumblr pages I was following started raving about it. I think maybe the more effecitive way to introduce people into SH and stuff like that, would something akin to the lavendertown series, where she draws her bitlife. Taking a short story and comicly drawing it out with a bunch of friends who know and appreciate it each other.
Plus, twitch is a visual medium above a audio medium. Text on a white screen is going to entice almost no one. I mean, if you still wanted to go 'quick and loose novel plot excersizes ', then think about doing it visually. Like a crapily done set of pictures on mspaint depicting the plot you've come up with.
I just don't think making writing mainstream when all we have is text and the flow of ideas. Alot of people hate to read. They won't care if you have 75 pages and over a million words, they'll just come in and make zoomer jokes until you ban them.

After thought, a podcast won't reach out very well I don't believe. The story telling podcasts I've listened to, that drew me in, were put together pieces of sound and reading. The thinking of the authors behind the scenes of webnovels would not appeal enough to outside audience. Again, if you weren't an author, would you click on something like that if you weren't incredibly bored. I know it sounds cynical, but I don't think something that isn't thoroughly planned out with loads of forethought will work.
Have you guys ever listened to the nosleep podcast, I think that's a good example of bringing that niche group into the open. They read stories from r/ no sleep with various sound effects, voice actors, stuff like that. If you really wanted to go hard, I think that's an example to look up to.
However, little efforts lik a twitch account, a author thoughts podcast, stuff like that, is probably the only way we will eventually reach that point. So I wouldn't mind putting some effort into a twitch account, framing out fun ideas to do on hour long streams, Twitch just isn't a good long term medium. It's all about hours on that site, and goodness knows how long inspiration can hold out on.

mikaljones680

Hey all, one thing I noticed in the webnovel community in all the years that I have been a part of it is that there isn't much content about it outside of sites like royalroad or scribblehub. As such, I thought that it would be a good idea to try and push it in more mainstream forms of media. However, one problem with writing webnovels is that you cannot really show the full raw experience and having it be still enjoyable to watch. As such, I was thinking about having more distilled forms of content that may show only the "fun" parts. One idea for cyberpunk fashion was to have a stream here where we decide on a ridiculous light novel idea and do a serious outline for it. The advantages that it presents are that the experience can be very chat-interactive with people throwing ideas all around, and it wouldn't be as long/hard as actually writing out the full chapters.

I'm curious about what you guys think. Also, I'll be streaming in a bit on twitch here on this link:

Gimmie a follow so that you get notified when I start streaming.

Yorth

Swordman
Here is a video I made about original English light novels, please check it out guys.