Two settings.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

It seems like people rating here mainly focus on the extreme ends of the spectrum. Honestly, if this is how ratings are going to be used, maybe we should just get rid of the star rating system, and instead use a like/dislike feature.

You know, like most sites (Youtube) that start out with a ratings feature, that eventually decide that if this is how people will use it, they might as well just let them do that without the pretense.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200827-190855_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200827-190855_Chrome.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 71

DubstheDuke

I mean you're not wrong here. I only have 1 4 star review and all my others are 5s or 1s

D

Deleted member 29316

Honeyfeed uses the 'Likes' system (but no 'Dislikes'), and so far, it's been a chill site. Most readers there prefer a story that has a bunch of chapters before giving it a read.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
It seems like people rating here mainly focus on the extreme ends of the spectrum. Honestly, if this is how ratings are going to be used, maybe we should just get rid of the star rating system, and instead use a like/dislike feature.

You know, like most sites (Youtube) that start out with a ratings feature, that eventually decide that if this is how people will use it, they might as well just let them do that without the pretense.
Well this rating system is from NU as well and over there it is the same issue.

I had been embracing the mantra. You should too.

D

Deleted member 29081

Honeyfeed uses the 'Likes' system (but no 'Dislikes'), and so far, it's been a chill site. Most readers there prefer a story that has a bunch of chapters before giving it a read.
Looks really good. I might open an account on there.

Wintertime

King of Nothing
The point of a rating system is to give the average viewer a glimpse into the overall quality or likeness of the novel you're creating. This isn't a popularity poll, where the novels that have been around longer/earlier get voted to the top 'most' of the time. The system you describe will eventually turn into Reddit/and or be reserved for sites primarily made for slice of life.

Plus, in every creative medium known to man, whether it's cinema, films, novels, or even animation; they are eventually put on a rating scale. And while you might be right that Scribblehub does go to the extremes, it doesn't reflect everyone's opinions on the subject as a whole. There are many reasons that contribute to a good novel, and I feel like a thumbs up/down are disingenuous to an aspiring writer who wants to self improve.

Last edited:

Ace_Arriande

Looks really good. I might open an account on there.
Unless they've grown massively, I wouldn't recommend it. The top stories there used to only have like, 100 readers. And they barely allow any formatting.

Leti

How about keeping the rating system for reviews only and replacing the ordinary rating system with like and dislike? Since reviews already need to be accepted by moderators before it's available to public and is less prone to trolls.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
View attachment 3722
I got a very friendly welcome. Can't wait for more wholesome encounters.
... Is it normal in that site for the words to cut in the middle when they don't fit the current line?

Because that makes for a terrible reading experience, dear God.