Types and Styles of Isekai 2.0

TachimeSan

Is it still Transmigration if the protagonist's consciousness (sometimes referred to as the spirit or soul) was transported (willingly, mistakenly, accidentally, or forcibly) onto another world and into somebody's body (not to be mistaken for Reincarnation, but an individual who has had an independent life and identity before being possessed)? Maybe (assuming perspective of surrounding characters here) as far as anyone on this new world is aware (for those who know the body this protagonist now inhabits) this "imposter" is and always has been whomever they are now posing as (they just behave differently for some reason?). I'm sure there are some stories here with that kind of setup. :blob_popcorn:
That perfectly describe transmigration. I think because you Transmigrated your consciousness to a person already existing in that world. To be classified as reincarnation I think you would have to be born into the new world, not transported or transmigrated.

CL

That perfectly describe transmigration. I think because you Transmigrated your consciousness to a person already existing in that world. To be classified as reincarnation I think you would have to be born into the new world, not transported or transmigrated.
Thank you for pointing that out. What I am about to say is slightly off the topic of discussion: I've seen plenty of titles with "Reborn" and "Reincarnated" in them. I am really starting to get confused on their differences when used in an isekai'ed context (is there any?). :blob_unsure:

Laeyioun

|Daydreaming Literate Mon~key|
This article post is very much appreciated.

It's helpful for readers to be informed of what Isekai that they may be interested specifically, and explore new variants of the broad Isekai genre. I myself am too lazy that I am pleasantly surprised in the diversity of the genre.

It's also useful for writers to refer to. The Isekai market is so saturated that an inexperienced writer could get lost in incorporating aspects from each one and end up with a muddled direction.

Thanks for taking your time in sharing this. Christmas gave you a lot of free time to think eh ~ 😝👌

Laeyioun

For transmigration, a protagonist enters the world with his age and body intact. Though, his race could be changed through a whim.
I have a question regarding here.

There are transmigrations that are only the soul, consciousness, ego, emotions, or memories.

For example The Lord of the Mysteries, in which the protagonist inherited the body of a completely different adult person, unwillingly and mysteriously through unknown phenomena.

(I don't know if someone asked it before me because my eyes are too tired to read all the posts xD)

Laeyioun

Thank you for pointing that out. What I am about to say is slightly off the topic of discussion: I've seen plenty of titles with "Reborn" and "Reincarnated" in them. I am really starting to get confused on their differences when used in an isekai'ed context (is there any?). :blob_unsure:
There can be minor differences on the context. Though I haven't really noticed. I usually treat those as one and the same and an author could also mis-tag it.

In the novel "The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich",
The main character created his own body, becoming a human when he was a lich before. He did not experience reincarnation the normal way but through his own will, with his own means and preparations.

Well it's pretty subjective but I think there's a difference between being reincarnated without an ability to resist, and the character's actions leading up to being reborn. The character doesn't even have to die/or completely die before being reborn as I saw in Lord of The Mysteries.

Reactions: CL

LotsChrono

I have a question regarding here.

There are transmigrations that are only the soul, consciousness, ego, emotions, or memories.

For example The Lord of the Mysteries, in which the protagonist inherited the body of a completely different adult person, unwillingly and mysteriously through unknown phenomena.

(I don't know if someone asked it before me because my eyes are too tired to read all the posts xD)
Looks like I’ll have to fix that part in my doc. Thank you for pointing that out~

CL

There can be minor differences on the context. Though I haven't really noticed. I usually treat those as one and the same and an author could also mis-tag it.

In the novel "The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich",
The main character created his own body, becoming a human when he was a lich before. He did not experience reincarnation the normal way but through his own will, with his own means and preparations.

Well it's pretty subjective but I think there's a difference between being reincarnated without an ability to resist, and the character's actions leading up to being reborn. The character doesn't even have to die/or completely die before being reborn as I saw in Lord of The Mysteries.
Thank you for answering my question. The stories here that get mis-tagged are likely what confuses me most of the time. I'll keep an eye on that fine line that defines their ("there" being: Reborn and Reincarnation) differences. :blob_cookie: