Types and Styles of Isekai 2.0

LotsChrono

After much input and improvements from others and myself, I've now made a 2.0. I clarified the main 3 types and changed the old types to the main 4 styles. As-well, I added another paragraph to Dynamic-Isekai explaining how their plot usually flows. Furthermore, some more sub-types, essentially akin to tags, were added.

You can either view this as a text or scroll down to see the pdf.

Tell me your thoughts, would you?

Types and Styles of Isekai​

By LotsChrono​

Main 3 Types​

Isekai, in its simplest form, is a story in which a protagonist (or group of characters) is thrown into another, usually fantasy, world. The usual three types of isekai are Reincarnation, Transmigration, and Summoning.

For reincarnation, a protagonist is thrown into another world, residing within a new body, usually after an unfortunate death and likely beginning as a newborn.

For transmigration, a protagonist enters the world with his age and body intact. Though, his race could be changed through a whim.

For summoning, a protagonist is teleported from his world into another due to the actions of a person or group.

For either of the three, memories could be kept or not; though the default usually is.

Main 4 Styles​

Full-Isekai

A story where everything revolves around the summoned, reincarnated, or transmigrated protagonist. This type usually takes place in an easily immersive, but generic, world. As most readers are already familiar with the setting present in these types, the worldbuilding does not have as much of a need to be fleshed out as others.

Essentially, a Full-Isekai is wish-fulfillment (or fluffiness) first and everything else second and, although the specific story may have one or two things that are unique, it is mostly generic and trope-filled. Plot points arise like checkmarks and action much the same. Furthermore, drama (though it can exist) isn’t what pushes readers to enjoy the story, but more than likely the continual climb of the MC’s strength, the increase in lovers, or just simply diabetics inducing fluffiness.

That does not mean a Full-Isekai is bad or lesser than the others. After all, there are always readers available for this type, so write it with no shame. A story is only as good as the enjoyment it brings.

*The ‘full’ in the name is short for ‘fulfillment.’ Yes, I added another ‘l’ to make it sound good.

Dynamic-Isekai

Usually having a cast just as fleshed out as the MC, this type of isekai has a moving world where nothing waits for the main character to step into. Though this naturally lends itself to a more political nature with the fantasy land as the stage, it does not have to be.

Perhaps what separates a dynamic isekai from a full-isekai is two things:

1. The main drive of the story. While the latter is usually chalked up to ‘get stronger’ or ‘live comfortably’, the former is likely to be more complex or maybe even unknown until a certain point.
  2. The world. As dynamic isekai takes place in a non-generic world, it usually has a lot more worldbuilding than others, and a lot more variety and uniqueness in its design.

As a particular note, a Dynamic-Isekai is more likely to have arcs that weave together to form a continual, fleshed-out, story. Conflicts don’t just start and end, they expand.

Soft-Isekai

Usually, this is an isekai where few things are known or explained about the world (especially its power system) and, more than likely, the story takes place in a sort of bubble that exists onto itself. It is an isekai where the fantasy elements are used more so to disguise or set-up a deeply emotional or psychological story.

Essentially, the world merely exists to facilitate a human-centered story, nothing more. This type is usually written in a more contemporary, and flowery, style than most light novels.

Dark-Isekai

An otherworld story where the main draw is its bleakness and darkness. Lots, and lots, of suffering should be expected. Usually, simply trying to survive the harsh world is the task weighing on the protagonist’s mind. Though it can have many other drives.

The world itself doesn’t have to be harsh, but what comes the MC’s way (or those around them) must be; physically, psychologically, or both. As a side note, however, a Dark-Isekai can exist in which the protagonist or those they care for aren't struggling but, rather, their enemies are.

Sub-Types​

These are similar to tags in nature and are the lesser of the 3 main types of isekai.

Virtual-Isekai

An isekai where the main character enters (or can enter) a game world, whether permanently or not, as the bulk of the plot takes place in a virtual or simulated reality.

Famous examples include: ‘Sword Art Online’ and ‘Infinite Dendrogram.’

Exvirtual-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist enters a world that, though once virtual, is no longer so. Usually, as his once in-game character.

Famous examples include: ‘Overlord’, ‘Kuma Kuma Bear’, ‘Log Horizon’, ‘She Professed Herself the Pupil of the Wiseman,’ ‘How Not to Summon a Demon Lord’, ‘A Wild Last Boss Appeared!’, ‘The New Gate’, ‘Demon Lord, Retry!’, ‘Skeleton Knight in Another World’, and ‘Night Ranger.’

Alternate-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist enters a world like earth (modern, past, or future) which has fantastical elements.

Famous examples include: ‘Neet Receives a Dating Sim System.’

Reverse-Isekai

An isekai in which a protagonist from a fantasy world enters our earth, or a different earth that lacks the fantastical elements.

Time-Isekai

An isekai wherein the main character uses an element of time travel (usually to the past) to gain an advantage over his peers or enemies. Famously, this type is used to set-up revenge stories.

Famous examples include: ‘Redo of Healer’ and ‘Nidome no Yuusha.’

Progressive-Isekai

An isekai in which the main focal point is the protagonist entering a new world as a child and progressing through time normally, using their maturity and intellect to do things right. Growing as an individual.

Famous examples include: ‘Mushoku Tensei’ and ‘The Beginning After The End.’

Apocalypse-Isekai

An isekai in which the world of earth (though following a central protagonist) is pushed into a series of challenges or trials, that take place within a different dimension or space, set in place by an all-powerful figure or system of sorts.

Famous examples include: ‘Reincarnator’, ‘Omniscient Reader’, and ‘The Tutorial is too Hard.’

Familiar-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist is transported into a novel or gameworld that they have once encountered, with little to no obvious advantage. Usually, the main character makes up for their weakness by using their knowledge of future events or the world itself.

Famous examples include: ‘Dungeon Defense’ and ‘Omniscient Reader.’

Cross-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist, permanently or temporarily, switches gender after or during the process of entering another world.

Monster-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist becomes another race aside from human; beastly or humanoid. This has to be the main staple of the story, not merely a gimmick.

Famous examples include: ‘That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime’, ‘So I’m a Spider, So What?’, ‘The Reincarnated Vampire Just Wants an Afternoon Nap’, ‘The Death Mage who Doesn’t Want a Fourth Time’, and ‘Skeleton Knight in Another World.’

God-Isekai

An isekai where the protagonist starts out already all-powerful. Untouchable by the world’s inhabitants in power or something of equivalent value to them. This type lends itself to what is essentially a slice-of-life with fancy coloring. If it is not a slice of life, it’s comedy. If it is not that either, though rare, it is then a story mainly carried by emotional and relationship drama.

Famous examples include: ‘The Eminence in Shadow’ and ‘In Another World with My Smartphone.’

*Do not confuse a godly MC with simply an overpowered protagonist. One is untouchable and can practically do anything they wish, the other can be beaten but has advantages.

Military-Isekai

An isekai in which earthly weapons, such as guns and tanks, being used in a fantasy setting is the main staple.

Famous examples include: ‘Gate.’

Segmented-Isekai

An isekai in which a portion of earth (a country, a military base) is sent into another world.

Unwanted-Isekai

An isekai where, though the protagonist is summoned, is unwanted or abandoned by those around him.

Famous examples include: ‘The Rising of the Shield Hero’ and ‘Arifureta.’

Management-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist has to manage and develop something; a kingdom, a dungeon, an army, etc.

Famous examples include: ‘Lazy Dungeon Master’, ‘Hikikomari Kyuuketsuki no Monmon’, ‘How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom’, and ‘Release That Witch.’

A.I-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist implements the use of artificial intelligence to help them on their journey.

Famous examples include: ‘Warlock of the Magus World.’

System-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist has and utilizes a system.

Dream-Isekai

An isekai, though rare, in which the protagonist enters an imaginative, fake, world of either their own creation or another’s. Usually, through a dream-like state.

Famous examples include: ‘Alice in Wonderland’ and ‘The Wizard of Oz.’

After-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist enters the world of the afterlife.

Famous examples include: ‘Dante’s Divine Comedy.’

Villain-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist plays the role of the central-villain within the plot of the story. That does not mean the protagonist must be evil (at least not by their own metric), but simply be an individual which much of the world or characters is against.

From otome game villainess to being a dungeon lord, and to being a master-mind behind the scene of a comedic tale, this type can be quite versatile in how a writer may implement it.

Famous examples include: ‘Overlord’ and ‘Dungen Defense.’

Endnotes​

Obviously, this is just my thoughts on isekai and, as you can probably already tell, the styles and types can be mixed and matched however you may like. As a note, I made up the names for them myself. Furthermore, thanks to the people who gave their inputs and improvements in the last version of this.

Attachments

• LotsChrono’s Types and Styles of Isekai.pdf
    47.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

S10

"Time-isekai"
Personally, I don't think this counts as an isekai as isekai is literally other world and going back in time isn't another world.

Also I think most of these can be completely detached from the word isekai and thus it they shouldn't be coupled and should be added as sepreate tags.

This does seem like a convoluted list that doesn't mean much but I guess most isekais fall Into these archetypes.

Thank you for the work!

Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

LotsChrono

"Time-isekai"
Personally, I don't think this counts as an isekai as isekai is literally other world and going back in time isn't another world.

Also I think most of these can be completely detached from the word isekai and thus it they shouldn't be coupled and should be added as sepreate tags.

This does seem like a convoluted list that doesn't mean much but I guess most isekais fall Into these archetypes.

Thank you for the work!

Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!
Indeed, this is a list that has details only for the sake of detail. It would be ridiculous to actually try to implement it in, let’s say, a writing site. Also, ‘Time-Isekai’ has the prerequisite that all of them have, first it must be an isekai, aka one of the 3 types, then it must work with time.

All Merey Christmas to you too~hope it’s going well.

Reactions: S10

Malonymous

Nice work. As an aspiring isekai veteran, I'm curious what examples would be included for the 4 main styles. Also I've had similar thoughts for another genre, do you mind if I copy this idea? Merry Christmas~

LotsChrono

Nice work. As an aspiring isekai veteran, I'm curious what examples would be included for the 4 main styles. Also I've had similar thoughts for another genre, do you mind if I copy this idea? Merry Christmas~
All the examples I gave fit into one or the other 4 main styles. I didn’t want to bog that section down so I moved examples to the sub-types where they could be specific.

Also, feel free to copy the idea. Have at it and I’ll wish you luck.

JayDirex

After much input and improvements from others and myself, I've now made a 2.0. I clarified the main 3 types and changed the old types to the main 4 styles. As-well, I added another paragraph to Dynamic-Isekai explaining how their plot usually flows. Furthermore, some more sub-types, essentially akin to tags, were added.

You can either view this as a text or scroll down to see the pdf.

Tell me your thoughts, would you?

Types and Styles of Isekai​

By LotsChrono​

Main 3 Types​

Isekai, in its simplest form, is a story in which a protagonist (or group of characters) is thrown into another, usually fantasy, world. The usual three types of isekai are Reincarnation, Transmigration, and Summoning.

For reincarnation, a protagonist is thrown into another world, residing within a new body, usually after an unfortunate death and likely beginning as a newborn.

For transmigration, a protagonist enters the world with his age and body intact. Though, his race could be changed through a whim.

For summoning, a protagonist is teleported from his world into another due to the actions of a person or group.

For either of the three, memories could be kept or not; though the default usually is.

Main 4 Styles​

Full-Isekai

A story where everything revolves around the summoned, reincarnated, or transmigrated protagonist. This type usually takes place in an easily immersive, but generic, world. As most readers are already familiar with the setting present in these types, the worldbuilding does not have as much of a need to be fleshed out as others.

Essentially, a Full-Isekai is wish-fulfillment (or fluffiness) first and everything else second and, although the specific story may have one or two things that are unique, it is mostly generic and trope-filled. Plot points arise like checkmarks and action much the same. Furthermore, drama (though it can exist) isn’t what pushes readers to enjoy the story, but more than likely the continual climb of the MC’s strength, the increase in lovers, or just simply diabetics inducing fluffiness.

That does not mean a Full-Isekai is bad or lesser than the others. After all, there are always readers available for this type, so write it with no shame. A story is only as good as the enjoyment it brings.

*The ‘full’ in the name is short for ‘fulfillment.’ Yes, I added another ‘l’ to make it sound good.

Dynamic-Isekai

Usually having a cast just as fleshed out as the MC, this type of isekai has a moving world where nothing waits for the main character to step into. Though this naturally lends itself to a more political nature with the fantasy land as the stage, it does not have to be.

Perhaps what separates a dynamic isekai from a full-isekai is two things:

1. The main drive of the story. While the latter is usually chalked up to ‘get stronger’ or ‘live comfortably’, the former is likely to be more complex or maybe even unknown until a certain point.
  2. The world. As dynamic isekai takes place in a non-generic world, it usually has a lot more worldbuilding than others, and a lot more variety and uniqueness in its design.

As a particular note, a Dynamic-Isekai is more likely to have arcs that weave together to form a continual, fleshed-out, story. Conflicts don’t just start and end, they expand.

Soft-Isekai

Usually, this is an isekai where few things are known or explained about the world (especially its power system) and, more than likely, the story takes place in a sort of bubble that exists onto itself. It is an isekai where the fantasy elements are used more so to disguise or set-up a deeply emotional or psychological story.

Essentially, the world merely exists to facilitate a human-centered story, nothing more. This type is usually written in a more contemporary, and flowery, style than most light novels.

Dark-Isekai

An otherworld story where the main draw is its bleakness and darkness. Lots, and lots, of suffering should be expected. Usually, simply trying to survive the harsh world is the task weighing on the protagonist’s mind. Though it can have many other drives.

The world itself doesn’t have to be harsh, but what comes the MC’s way (or those around them) must be; physically, psychologically, or both. As a side note, however, a Dark-Isekai can exist in which the protagonist or those they care for aren't struggling but, rather, their enemies are.

Sub-Types​

These are similar to tags in nature and are the lesser of the 3 main types of isekai.

Virtual-Isekai

An isekai where the main character enters (or can enter) a game world, whether permanently or not, as the bulk of the plot takes place in a virtual or simulated reality.

Famous examples include: ‘Sword Art Online’, ‘Accel World’, and ‘Infinite Dendrogram.’

Exvirtual-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist enters a world that, though once virtual, is no longer so. Usually, as his once in-game character.

Famous examples include: ‘Overlord’, ‘Kuma Kuma Bear’, ‘Log Horizon’, ‘She Professed Herself the Pupil of the Wiseman,’ ‘How Not to Summon a Demon Lord’, ‘A Wild Last Boss Appeared!’, ‘The New Gate’, ‘Demon Lord, Retry!’, ‘Skeleton Knight in Another World’, and ‘Night Ranger.’

Alternate-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist enters a world like earth (modern, past, or future) which has fantastical elements.

Famous examples include: ‘Neet Receives a Dating Sim System.’

Reverse-Isekai

An isekai in which a protagonist from a fantasy world enters our earth, or a different earth that lacks the fantastical elements.

Time-Isekai

An isekai wherein the main character uses an element of time travel (usually to the past) to gain an advantage over his peers or enemies. Famously, this type is used to set-up revenge stories.

Famous examples include: ‘Redo of Healer’ and ‘Nidome no Yuusha.’

Progressive-Isekai

An isekai in which the main focal point is the protagonist entering a new world as a child and progressing through time normally, using their maturity and intellect to do things right. Growing as an individual.

Famous examples include: ‘Mushoku Tensei’ and ‘The Beginning After The End.’

Apocalypse-Isekai

An isekai in which the world of earth (though following a central protagonist) is pushed into a series of challenges or trials, that take place within a different dimension or space, set in place by an all-powerful figure or system of sorts.

Famous examples include: ‘Reincarnator’, ‘Omniscient Reader’, and ‘The Tutorial is too Hard.’

Familiar-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist is transported into a novel or gameworld that they have once encountered, with little to no obvious advantage. Usually, the main character makes up for their weakness by using their knowledge of future events or the world itself.

Famous examples include: ‘Dungeon Defense’ and ‘Omniscient Reader.’

Cross-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist, permanently or temporarily, switches gender after or during the process of entering another world.

Monster-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist becomes another race aside from human; beastly or humanoid. This has to be the main staple of the story, not merely a gimmick.

Famous examples include: ‘That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime’, ‘So I’m a Spider, So What?’, ‘The Reincarnated Vampire Just Wants an Afternoon Nap’, ‘The Death Mage who Doesn’t Want a Fourth Time’, and ‘Skeleton Knight in Another World.’

God-Isekai

An isekai where the protagonist starts out already all-powerful. Untouchable by the world’s inhabitants in power or something of equivalent value to them. This type lends itself to what is essentially a slice-of-life with fancy coloring. If it is not a slice of life, it’s comedy. If it is not that either, though rare, it is then a story mainly carried by emotional and relationship drama.

Famous examples include: ‘The Eminence in Shadow’ and ‘In Another World with My Smartphone.’

*Do not confuse a godly MC with simply an overpowered protagonist. One is untouchable and can practically do anything they wish, the other can be beaten but has advantages.

Military-Isekai

An isekai in which earthly weapons, such as guns and tanks, being used in a fantasy setting is the main staple.

Famous examples include: ‘Gate.’

Segmented-Isekai

An isekai in which a portion of earth (a country, a military base) is sent into another world.

Unwanted-Isekai

An isekai where, though the protagonist is summoned, is unwanted or abandoned by those around him.

Famous examples include: ‘The Rising of the Shield Hero’ and ‘Arifureta.’

Management-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist has to manage and develop something; a kingdom, a dungeon, an army, etc.

Famous examples include: ‘Lazy Dungeon Master’, ‘Hikikomari Kyuuketsuki no Monmon’, ‘How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom’, and ‘Release That Witch.’

A.I-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist implements the use of artificial intelligence to help them on their journey.

Famous examples include: ‘Warlock of the Magus World.’

System-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist has and utilizes a system.

Dream-Isekai

An isekai, though rare, in which the protagonist enters an imaginative, fake, world of either their own creation or another’s. Usually, through a dream-like state.

Famous examples include: ‘Alice in Wonderland’ and ‘The Wizard of Oz.’

After-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist enters the world of the afterlife.

Famous examples include: ‘Dante’s Divine Comedy.’

Villain-Isekai

An isekai in which the protagonist plays the role of the central-villain within the plot of the story. That does not mean the protagonist must be evil (at least not by their own metric), but simply be an individual which much of the world or characters is against.

From otome game villainess to being a dungeon lord, and to being a master-mind behind the scene of a comedic tale, this type can be quite versatile in how a writer may implement it.

Famous examples include: ‘Overlord’ and ‘Dungen Defense.’

Endnotes​

Obviously, this is just my thoughts on isekai and, as you can probably already tell, the styles and types can be mixed and matched however you may like. As a note, I made up the names for them myself. Furthermore, thanks to the people who gave their inputs and improvements in the last version of this.
Dynamic-Isekai: you described my story to T. Good job, good analysis.

Temple

Agree on the time isekai thing not being isekai. Because that's going to be under do-over genre with time travel and reincarnation as subs

LotsChrono

Agree on the time isekai thing not being isekai. Because that's going to be under do-over genre with time travel and reincarnation as subs
Hmm. Interesting, you’re the third person to disagree with that sub-type. I understand your point but couldn’t do-over also be under the isekai tag? There are quite a bit of isekai in that vein, after all. If we look at it in terms of only the isekai genre, it’ll be a sub to it. If we look at it in terms of itself as a fully fleshed out genre, then reincarnation would sub it.

CL

Is it still Transmigration if the protagonist's consciousness (sometimes referred to as the spirit or soul) was transported (willingly, mistakenly, accidentally, or forcibly) onto another world and into somebody's body (not to be mistaken for Reincarnation, but an individual who has had an independent life and identity before being possessed)? Maybe (assuming perspective of surrounding characters here) as far as anyone on this new world is aware (for those who know the body this protagonist now inhabits) this "imposter" is and always has been whomever they are now posing as (they just behave differently for some reason?). I'm sure there are some stories here with that kind of setup. :blob_popcorn:

LotsChrono

Is it still Transmigration if the protagonist's consciousness (sometimes referred to as the spirit or soul) was transported (willingly, mistakenly, accidentally, or forcibly) onto another world and into somebody's body (not to be mistaken for Reincarnation, but an individual who has had an independent life and identity before being possessed)? Maybe (assuming perspective of surrounding characters here) as far as anyone on this new world is aware (for those who know the body this protagonist now inhabits) this "imposter" is and always has been whomever they are now posing as (they just behave differently for some reason?). I'm sure there are some stories here with that kind of setup. :blob_popcorn:
That is classified under ‘Reincarnation’ due to losing their old body (whether through death or other means) and gaining a new one (whether starting the story as a baby or not.)

Reactions: CL

CL

That is classified under ‘Reincarnation’ due to losing their old body (whether through death or other means) and gaining a new one (whether starting the story as a baby or not.)
What if they're a demon possessing somebody through a summoning circle? Is that still Reincarnation (maybe a combination of Summoning/Reincarnation?)?

Nezothecat

actually this is a good case, when we started our novel instead of actually putting reincarnation as title we decided transmigration due to the meaning it has on google search. transmigration - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com now it'll be hard to change it xD

LotsChrono

actually this is a good case, when we started our novel instead of actually putting reincarnation as title we decided transmigration due to the meaning it has on google search. transmigration - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com now it'll be hard to change it xD
Oh now that’s interesting. Didn’t even think about that. I’ve only thought about it based specifically on how the two terms are used when it pertains to Isekai. I don’t think you guys are wrong to do what you did shrugs since you’re still correct either way.

LotsChrono

What if they're a demon possessing somebody through a summoning circle? Is that still Reincarnation (maybe a combination of Summoning/Reincarnation?)?
In that case I would argue it’s a demon reincarnating into a body and forcing the other soul out. Especially if the demon came from a different world than the individual. That’s if the reincarnation is permanent, however. If it’s not permanent, then it’s up for debate but I would still call it reincarnation since, a loss of him from the body doesn’t change the premise of the story.

Essentially, for the 3 main types of Isekai, the premise of the story is what matters, not the execution. Execution will have to go to Style and sub-types.

CL

In that case I would argue it’s a demon reincarnating into a body and forcing the other soul out. Especially if the demon came from a different world than the individual. That’s if the reincarnation is permanent, however. If it’s not permanent, then it’s up for debate but I would still call it reincarnation since, a loss of him from the body doesn’t change the premise of the story.

Essentially, for the 3 main types of Isekai, the premise of the story is what matters, not the execution. Execution will have to go to Style and sub-types.
That is completely understandable.

Last question: I have plans for an Isekai type of story, but I don't know how I should classify it. I believe it would be the Virtual sub-type, except the way this story starts off is different. The protagonist isn't exactly the same person who plugged themselves and connected to the world, rather that would be a copy of that person (an independent avatar?). They would contain every bit of their former identity as they had in the real world, but the virtual protagonist is in that virtual world and the real living and breathing person the protagonist originated from is still walking around and doing their daily stuff. Is that still an isekai or something else?

LotsChrono

That is completely understandable.

Last question: I have plans for an Isekai type of story, but I don't know how I should classify it. I believe it would be the Virtual sub-type, except the way this story starts off is different. The protagonist isn't exactly the same person who plugged themselves and connected to the world, rather that would be a copy of that person (an independent avatar?). They would contain every bit of their former identity as they had in the real world, but the virtual protagonist is in that virtual world and the real living and breathing person the protagonist originated from is still walking around and doing their daily stuff. Is that still an isekai or something else?
That’s quite unique. Although I’m sure it’ll feel like an isekai, it wouldn’t be an isekai by the definition of the word. What you essentially have there is two separate protagonists in two separate worlds, neither of which has switched worlds, though one is based on the other.

Until at least one of them switches worlds, I wouldn’t call it an isekai. You have a straight-up LitRPG story probably.

CL

That’s quite unique. Although I’m sure it’ll feel like an isekai, it wouldn’t be an isekai by the definition of the word. What you essentially have there is two separate protagonists in two separate worlds, neither of which has switched worlds, though one is based on the other.

Until at least one of them switches worlds, I wouldn’t call it an isekai. You have a straight-up LitRPG story probably.
Thank you for responding and answering my questions. I do appreciate the categorizing work you have done here and am glad to have asked you those questions (I would've felt stupid if someone pointed out I was wrong in classifying that story :blob_sweat: ).

Nezothecat

Oh now that’s interesting. Didn’t even think about that. I’ve only thought about it based specifically on how the two terms are used when it pertains to Isekai. I don’t think you guys are wrong to do what you did shrugs since you’re still correct either way.
Thank you, still this is good for those reference. Afterall, Guidance are always appreciated.

LotsChrono

Thank you for responding and answering my questions. I do appreciate the categorizing work you have done here and am glad to have asked you those questions (I would've felt stupid if someone pointed out I was wrong in classifying that story :blob_sweat: ).
The “virtual-isekai” kind of stories are usually for stories where the protagonist is permanently in the virtual world. Though, temporarily can also fit only if the bulk of the story, 95%+, takes place in the simulated reality. Think the first half of ‘Sword Art Online,’ although the MC ends up leaving the world, it isn’t till the end of that certain journey. So, a part of SAO can be classified as a sort of isekai. Yet, of course, what you’d usually do is just classify that sort of story as VRMMO (if it’s a virtual world) and/or LitRPG (for vrmmo and for if it isn’t a virtual world but simply has game elements)

I hope that helps.

Also, no problem, this is pretty fun to tangle with.