Writing Types of Characters You Like Writing About.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
I am curious as to what types of characters an author would find most enjoyable to write in their story.

And perhaps compare that with characters that you find it difficult to write but include anyway.
I really like writing characters are... fairly stable, but you just know they are on the verge on eschewing their morals and either going on a genocide or killing themselves. It's just a delight to express the full gamut of emotions that these characters. They are so complex and wild and colorful.
I love writing about cute airhead klutzy girls, they make me show my inner silliness and stupidity. Plus, it warms my lonely heart 🥲

I have trouble writing bland cardboard MCs, but sometimes I had to do it for self-insert reasons (for the reader's immersion)
I have never tried out writing from that perspective, but it sounds absolutely wonderful to try.
Personally, I really struggle with writing characters with hero complexes (i.e. Shonen protags). They... are so difficult. It just does not mesh with my thinking or some stupid, cringe-sounding reason along those lines. Putting myself in their shoes... is not easy! I swear those shoes are massive clunkers or something!
I like writing cute magic critters.

I'm bad at writing characters with good social skills. Hard to write things you don't know about, after all.... :blob_hide:
I feel ya. I think I am skirting by the skin of my teeth, but my main character is literally supernaturally good at social skills. My story is literally called "Charisma". It's a huge part of my MC's talent, and it so hard when they are so much more intelligent than your own self.:sweat_smile:

Last edited:

Getterkuma

I like writing quirky double acts. I love writing back-and-forth friendly banter. I like eccentric characters with a dangerous edge hidden behind their off-pan remarks and weird behavior.

This wasn't for a novel, but recently during a D&D game I was DMing, I introduced one of my all time favorite NPC's, a dwarf miner and engineer who was thought dead after a cave in but in reality ended in the sea after his broken body was dragged by an underground river. He lost a hand to sharks and had to patch his head with a bolted on plate. He became amazingly inventive and creative, but he has memory gaps, mistakes words, forgets words and tends to hit the plate on his head to shake ideas loose. My players loved him, and he was basically a double act on his own, as he could talk as two different "viewpoints"

EldritchCoomer

Horny on main
I like writing loveable and unhinged badasses that just spout or say the wildest shit all the time that easily gets distracted by the compliment characters, the not so unhinged psycho that goes along with most if the leads plans, but brings reality into the mix and the character(s) that they both can bounce off well and are sassy at times, but are over all silly and are good supports to aid thje main characters and strong enough to stand on their own.

I hate on the other hand writing too serious charcaters, ones that are too boring cause they only exist to serve the plot or problematic characters that are just a chore to write
I like writing loveable and unhinged badasses that just spout or say the wildest shit all the time that easily gets distracted by the compliment characters, the not so unhinged psycho that goes along with most if the leads plans, but brings reality into the mix and the character(s) that they both can bounce off well and are sassy at times, but are over all silly and are good supports to aid thje main characters and strong enough to stand on their own.

I hate on the other hand writing too serious charcaters, ones that are too boring cause they only exist to serve the plot or problematic characters that are just a chore to write

zephyrzane

I like writing about characters that are very foreign to the normal human experience. Aliens, for instance, are interesting because you have to think so much about every little aspect of what they do and who they are. Finding humanity in the inhuman is a very interesting puzzle.

I also like writing about characters that are very lonely or haven't had a lot of social interaction. Characters that are isolated because of social or physical circumstances. Loneliness and what it does to a person is interesting to me.

Grievewriter

Rivals, characters who constantly get in each other's way whenever they get close to their goal and grow to hate each other on an intimate, personal level feels pretty damn satisfying getting right.

I tend to try and jump around when it comes to main characters, though I guess well-meaning meatheads keep showing up in several of my stories.
But I find that I almost always try to set up rivalries.

ShrimpShady

I like writing lost souls, people who are in some way lacking direction or purpose in their lives. Or otherwise people who seem dissatisfied and missing something.

In other words, literally me.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
I like writing lost souls, people who are in some way lacking direction or purpose in their lives. Or otherwise people who seem dissatisfied and missing something.

In other words, literally me.
You ok there, buddy?:blob_frown:

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
The quiet intellectual with a smart ass mouth.

Right now, the first and only character I've liked writing about (which likely will not see the light of day for a while yet) is someone dealing with imposter syndrome.

Which is totally not indicative of my general feeling about my place in life so far.

nowme_cres

I am curious as to what types of characters an author would find most enjoyable to write in their story.

And perhaps compare that with characters that you find it difficult to write but include anyway.
Tsundere. Cute

Reinaislost

Miss Direction
My characters tend to be emotional wreck, with enough emotional baggage to overwhelm anyone. They are usually young women who adopt a nihilistic outlook on life. But at the same, they understand quite well that even if being born is just an event, like two objects colliding, and that we live for the sake of existing, it doesn't change anything about us. Not being loved by your loved ones still hurts; being unconditionalally hated hurts; loneliness hurts.

Why not create their own meaning in a world where nothing matters and death is inevitable, just like we assign meaning to words in a language. They have good motivations for everything they do, whether they are passive or active depending on the spectrum. I avoid writing purely evil characters, as I find them too edgy and clichéd.