Unconventional Ideas for a Medieval Fantasy Setting

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
One thing I tend to notice with medieval fantasy stories, not just of the web novel variety, but in general is that they usually have a lot of the same elements when it comes to the world. The thing often used to separate the story's world from others is usually the magic system or the monsters. Which is why I've been looking into interesting historical set pieces, items, and other things that could be included to give a world some flavor. Here are some of my favorites. Please share if you've got anything interesting.
De-Jongh---London-Bridge.jpg

A painting of the old London Bridge. I think this could be a neat idea to have for something like a city.
firearmfantasy.jpg

Firearms. I think firearms are a bit underutilized. It they exist in the setting it's something more modern, used primarily by the protagonist.

Please share your thoughts with me. I am interested to know what ideas you have.

Last edited:

eun_

Rush Lights are not very well used in medieval fantasy novels to my knowledge. It's always either torch, candles, or oil lamps which only the few had access to back then.

longer

Balls
I mean most isekai novels ignore women were second class citizens for the most part in the Medieval ages early fifth century to late fifteenth century.
It's either that or women are treated unreasonably poorly despite the presence of a leveling system that would clearly even the social playing field. Because it's frankly insulting to have a litrpg system exist for hundreds or thousands of years and not have at least one over leveled woman think "damn maybe misogyny is kinda cringe" then do something about it.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
One thing I tend to notice with medieval fantasy stories, not just of the web novel variety, but in general is that they usually have a lot of the same elements when it comes to the world. The thing often used to separate the story's world from others is usually the magic system or the monsters. Which is why I've been looking into interesting historical set pieces, items, and other things that could be included to give a world some flavor. Here are some of my favorites. Please share if you've got anything interesting.
View attachment 11960

A painting of the old London Bridge. I think this could be a neat idea to have for something like a city.
View attachment 11961
Firearms. I think firearms are a bit underutilized. It they exist in the setting it's something more modern, used primarily by the protagonist.

Please share your thoughts with me. I am interested to know what ideas you have.
Well, people often get "Medieval" all wrong in fantasy, and what they understand for medieval is actually from the renaissance period. Firearms are often overlooked mostly because of magic, as spells often have the same power as an artillery piece. If magic is so powerful and so accessible, there is no incentive to develop firearms, isn't it?

As for monsters, most people just go with the typical mythical creatures, like centaurs, ogres, dragons, and stuff. This gives an excuse to create Guilds of adventurers and mercenaries to deal with these threats and a starting point for a protagonist. In a truly realistic medieval society, what would a farmer's son do? Collect cabbages? In fantasy, there has to be a way for someone of lowly origins to raise his station in society other than joining the clergy or going to war for his Feudal Lord.

I'm currently writing a story without the magic and the monsters. I feel bad for self-promoting here but since you are asking for a different take on medieval fantasy I thought it would be ok.

Ritz

IBM computers are an interesting addition to more advanced fantasy settings.
tom-bentkowski-bez-nazwy-20147.jpg

AryaX

I would like to read stories that have lots of "hentai" in the world building and the "backdrop" of the story ... ie. inner monologue about pervy stuff... gossip pervy stuff... descriptions of horny hentai monsters and what they do... descriptions of what aristocrats have been doing to the local village girls in their hidden dungeons... etc... etc... etc...

But without the story itself being just sex sex sex, chapter after chapter after chapter...

Last edited:

rain-090

Well, people often get "Medieval" all wrong in fantasy, and what they understand for medieval is actually from the renaissance period. Firearms are often overlooked mostly because of magic, as spells often have the same power as an artillery piece. If magic is so powerful and so accessible, there is no incentive to develop firearms, isn't it?

As for monsters, most people just go with the typical mythical creatures, like centaurs, ogres, dragons, and stuff. This gives an excuse to create Guilds of adventurers and mercenaries to deal with these threats and a starting point for a protagonist. In a truly realistic medieval society, what would a farmer's son do? Collect cabbages? In fantasy, there has to be a way for someone of lowly origins to raise his station in society other than joining the clergy or going to war for his Feudal Lord.

I'm currently writing a story without the magic and the monsters. I feel bad for self-promoting here but since you are asking for a different take on medieval fantasy I thought it would be ok.
Link to your story?

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
Link to your story?

Here it goes, sir.